Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I' really enjoying the EV experience at the moment and have been driving more than I normally would and visiting parts of this great country just because I want to get out and about. The Tesla has enough range that an overnight within 100 mile of home with no destination charging is doable but I'm thinking, what about a couple of nights in, say, Snowdonia, with all that elevation change and those lovely country roads to explore?

So, I checked out ZCW and many of the other sites and I see that the area has mainly 32A comando sockets or 3-pin 13A standard sockets; I can't use the former (not without very expensive adaptors) and the latter is a tad too slow. I contacts one place where ZCW stated a blue commando socket and I've just been told they installed a Type 2 32A 3 years ago! They did not have accomodation availability but recommended another location in Betws-y-Coed and all of the popular maps stated blue commando again. I've just heard from them and they've also replaced it with a Type 2!

My plea (I think) is for some way for owners of charging points and EVs to coordinate better and update the information found on these maps; certainly not to take them at face value. It certainly seems that Snowdonia is not the charging vacuum I had once thought (yay).

I wonder if there is any mileage in fund-raising to pay for someone to collate all the charging point location information and contact each site to ensure the information is as correct and clear as possible?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd like to add that in one instance I have informed the B&B owner of the various maps and suggested he update them, in the other, ZapMap had the correct info. so I assume the owner had already updated at least that map. It was suggested, however, that ZCW only note those chargers they provided so if the owner adds another from somewhere else or replaces the ZCW charger, ZCW won't reflect this. Of course, I can understand why they may not want to but it means for those searching locations on ZCW we need to double-check on other maps or contact the location directly. Or not use ZCW but I'm loath to do that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Lee,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can only apologise as we always try to do our best and I know myself that having out dated information is never helpful!
I will raise the point with @Cara Naden and we shall review our sites to make sure those who upgraded from Commando to Type 2 have been updated on our website and Open Charge Map.
Thank you so much for supporting Zeronet, I've used it for years now and would be lost without all the destination charging it offers. I'll let you know what I find after speaking with Cara.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
ZCW have been offering existing customers the opportunity to upgrade at a cost of £200. You could always help by simply updating the OpenChargeMap etc. Every little helps ;)

Edit: @Alexander Sims beat me to it.

ps I was at a Westfield track day at Castle Donington a week last Saturday and I could hear your name being mentioned over the PA. Hope you did well!

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, I checked out ZCW and many of the other sites and I see that the area has mainly 32A comando sockets or 3-pin 13A standard sockets; I can't use the former (not without very expensive adaptors) and the latter is a tad too slow. I contacts one place where ZCW stated a blue commando socket and I've just been told they installed a Type 2 32A 3 years ago! They did not have accomodation availability but recommended another location in Betws-y-Coed and all of the popular maps stated blue commando again. I've just heard from them and they've also replaced it with a Type 2!
Hi Lee, Many thanks for feeding back your experience - please would you kindly let me know the two location venue names so I can check why this update hasn't happened on ZeroNet for these two locations? Thank you :)

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I wonder if there is any mileage in fund-raising to pay for someone to collate all the charging point location information and contact each site to ensure the information is as correct and clear as possible?
If you are talking about just the ZCW sites then IMO ZCW could do that simply by calling each location and checking what they have and making sure their map is correct. Perhaps they should be or are doing that already?

On the other hand, if you mean all charging locations then what you are asking seems perfectly reasonable and at first glance but this is not a simple task. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it is an unreasonable expectation to have any map/database 100% complete, up to date and correct. There are many reasons for this...

Firstly, charge points are being installed every day throughout the country and if there is no requirement for a central authority to be notified then there is no likelihood that they will get onto maps.

Whilst it makes sense for every charging network to notify the maps of changes to their infrastructure they often consider their data commercially sensitive or valuable (don't ask me why but some of them do!) so they are very reluctant to share their data. I cannot see this changing until it becomes compulsory for them to share.

Some of the better databases such a Open Charge Map and Plugshare require updates from the community and these are often untimely and/or inaccurate.

There is a OLEV run project called the National Chargepoint Registry (NCR) which was intended to list the charge locations in the UK but again, there is no legal or other requirement for that database to be notified so it is no better than any of the others.

In conclusion then... some maps are better than others but no maps will be complete or accurate enough to be used as the single source of charge location information. We must use many maps, often cross-referenced against each other, to get to something near the truth and even that should be considered with caution. Best always to call up the location and get up to date info if at all possible.

This is the current state of affairs... shame but true.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
There is a OLEV run project called the National Chargepoint Registry (NCR) which was intended to list the charge locations in the UK but again, there is no legal or other requirement for that database to be notified so it is no better than any of the others.
Actually the NCR is a lot worse than all the other sites. Avoid as it's highly inaccurate and incomplete.
Open Charge Map does use it as a data source but as least they can correct some errors however it's the source of many of the errors in OCM.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The great aspect of Open Charge Map is that it is an open source database - i.e. designed so that any of us can input Charging Station locations, update info on these locations, delete duplicates or removed ones no longer there or no longer working. You can even upload photos and your rating/experience of using the Charging Station locations. This enables the database to evolve and be regularly updated by EV drivers and Charging Station location hosts. Even other EV Charge Maps use this database to populate their EV Charging location maps. So it would be super if you all got involved in populating and feeding info into OCM. Then we will have a useful, up to date, well populated EV Charging Location map of all EV Charging facilities for the EV people by the EV people :)

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
That's also it's weakest point though I feel @Cara Naden as it's entirely chicken and egg, plus if a spot is new and nobody knows about the charger, and the chances are a B&B or hotel owner won't, nobody will put the charger on there except by a series of lucky coincidences.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Then we will have a useful, up to date, well populated EV Charging Location map of all EV Charging facilities for the EV people by the EV people
That is fine in theory and it can be good but by its very nature of being updated by the community it also is going to be inherently incomplete.

Don't get me wrong... I support OCM and it has the potential of being the very best charging location database, if it is not that already... but even as the best it will still not be complete and the fact that it is community driven is both good and bad IMO.

FWIW OCM is my map/database of first call... then zap-map and plugshare. That pretty much covers most of what is out there... and of course the Ecotricity map... goes without saying!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Plus the Polar Instant map.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Are there better ways of capturing all the EV Charging Station locations?
Not at the moment. Until it become compulsory to register with the NCR then it is always going to be a bit hit and miss. OVMS might help but it could only help as it would require everyone to have OVMS for it to capture everything.

I realise we are "complaining", if you want to call it that, without having a better alternative but IMO that is down to the government... they should have made it a requirement to register all publicly accessible locations with the NCR and made sure it happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts