Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I am hoping they unwind some of the changes which have been applied relatively recently, steering angle limit being one, having the car decide mid bend it is exceeding the proscribed degrees of steering input is just bonkers.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Is it the regulation thats tripping mid bend (which the car should be able to tell from the map data) or the system giving up trying to get round?

There's a lot blamed on the regs and the cynical sod I am thinks its a way to deflect from poor performacne of the car. A bit like advanced summon not being allowed in many places in the UK, given what I've seen from the states, it would be an insurance company nightmare.If the cornering logic says you can't do a certain bend because of the steering input required, tell the driver ahead of time, that would be a safe mode of operation,

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You could be right, however I do believe that pre the changes and post changes the car used to navigate the same bends quite comfortably, however I also find my self questioning it this is an AP1 vs AP2 issue.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
Having been watching UK Tesla Driver on Youtube, I'd say FSD is about 5 years away for UK roads. It can't even drive with basic driving yet and has regular drop outs. If he could manage a 50 mile stint and only have issues when say someone left a doll in the road, or there's a tree that looks like a tractor pulling out then I'd have faith they "were on the long tail". But Say it's currently at 99%. That means for every 1000 miles of driving - 1 mile of that FSD will give up. It needs to be 99.9999% So that over 100,000 miles, only 1 mile of that did it fail... which is still several hundred events over a life time - as it's only a few yards that cuase the problem. FSD while reading a book / sleeping / taxi mode needs 99.999999999%.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think the first mistake you made was watching Tesla driver - he’s a dangerous idiot and the police are now taking an interest in his antics. I think we’d be doing the world a favour by ignoring him.

I wouldn’t want to even put a time line on how far away we are. The current AP performance on basic lane keep and active speed control doesn’t seem to have progressed far in 5 years. Tesla’s used to use Mobileye and I’ve now spent time using the next generation of their system (albeit in a different makr of car) and it is notably better than it was but in 5 years the improvement is a fraction of the progress needed. I still have reservations over the sensors deployed - the argument that humans drive with two eyes is a but naive to me. Personally I think the smart move for any company in this space is to develop true self driving but only for motorways and maybe even only in good weather and agree with the regulators how to do so to get it approved as the legal side is as big as the technology side. Lots of people would welcome the car driving them autonomously for hours with them only doing the first and final mile letting them lol, watch TV or do some work.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just saw Hands-free driving could be made legal on UK roads and thought this was positive news about one day getting Tesla FSD allowed here in the UK.
Will take a while to correctly figure out and word a proper law. they need to work it so that if one is killed buy an FSD car owned and operated buy someone of considerably less net worth that the victim, that they are hounded by the press and society and thrown in prison for many many years.

however if one's FSD car kills a porper of considerable less net worth, and possibly a net taker doe to claiming benefits, therefore a financial liability to the state, that it was just an error , accidents happen, and the figures show that FSD cars are on average much much safer for wealthy people. Carry on.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
I think the first mistake you made was watching Tesla driver - he’s a dangerous idiot and the police are now taking an interest in his antics. I think we’d be doing the world a favour by ignoring him.
Hmnnn I've only watched a couple videos and they were quite informative. Save me at least £5,800. I'll order FSD and pay £10,000 for it when I can use the car as a taxi when I'm not commuting or shopping. By that point it will also be good enough for me to use as a self study office / mobile bed platform while commuting to work. ;)

if one's FSD car kills a porper of considerable less net worth, and possibly a net taker doe to claiming benefits, therefore a financial liability to the state, that it was just an error , accidents happen, and the figures show that FSD cars are on average much much safer for wealthy people. Carry on.
Hmmmn. This could be the plot for a cyberpunk novel where a secret group do just that. Start taking out the biggest net takers from society by hacking autonomous cars. Luckily these days it wont work as everyone is wearing masks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts