Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Soul 64 previously Golf GTE
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of background first, Semi mobile engineer covering same 4 sites in london so travel from home to any of the sites classed as commuting rather than business miles though mileage between sites - small as they are - is classed as business miles.
Taken delivery of a new Soul and if im reading the frankly confusing HMRC blurb as long as i charge the car on the worksites with a portable or fixed charging station there would be no fuel BIK (i think) for the following year or two.
However i took advantage of the OLEV scheme so i convinced the firm to install for me an EV charger at my home address (their cost) and this is where things are getting a bit grey for me. If im understanding correctly if i charge at home and claimed on my monthly expenses would i incur a fuel BIK charge? And similar if i got caught short between charges and stopped at a regular rapid charge and billed the firm would i be liable?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My understanding is that electricity is not a fuel in respect to BIK, i.e. there is no tax to pay by you for electricity purchased by your company for private mileage: however is your employer willing for you to claim your private running costs from them having paid for your home charging point? (which they will be able to offset against profits). I think that that the current rate for claiming back business mileage for an EV is 4p per mile. To keep it simple I just claim the 4p per business mile. I have heard that people who run their own business do claim back all their charging electricity at home irrespective of whether it is for personal or business use, but I do not personally wish to attract the attention of HMRC to myself so I do not do this as I too claimed back the cost of the home charger on my business. Sorry if this makes it as clear as mud. If I was devious I'd say take the granny charger to work and plug whilst working - with your employers permission of course! I think in your position I would talk to my boss 1st and find out what you are able to claim from them, i.e. all the electricity used or just 4p a business mile.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The huge savings on BIK will far outweigh the real world electric costs incurred travelling between sites. Calculate the monthly mileage x4p vs your time to fill out the claim form and for someone else to adminster the payment. I expect it will be £'s per month. How much have you saved on BIK by not choosing a diesel car?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts