Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I noticed that my petrol tank range would fluctuate between 103 miles and 90 miles - even though I wasn't using it all.
Then on Sunday I had a 100 mile round trip which used 63 miles of petrol, but yet my fuel-tank range now says I have 80 miles of petrol left

What gives? Is it usually this random?!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Last week I noticed that my petrol tank range would fluctuate between 103 miles and 90 miles - even though I wasn't using it all.
Then on Sunday I had a 100 mile round trip which used 63 miles of petrol, but yet my fuel-tank range now says I have 80 miles of petrol left

What gives? Is it usually this random?!
The range is based on your average fuel economy at the time, which is why it fluctuates so wildly.
I assume that you are doing plenty of electric miles ? That normally has the biggest effect :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even the (I presume) 'petrol only' gauge? I thought that would be like a regular ICE car that would show how many miles I can go on ICE alone.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding!!

Still, it was my first longer trip using ICE and it was fine really. Not really noticeable on the motorway, but maybe slightly moreso on the slower A roads, especially when it revs a bit higher. It's maybe not the most refined petrol engine, but it still has far less vibration than a diesel!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Yep, as it knows how many gallons are left but the mpg on the petrol engine will depend on the type of roads and driving, therefore it can only make an intelligent estimate based on current driving conditions.

It's pretty refined and quiet really, it's only because the rest of the car is so remarkably quiet! It's also a bit quieter if you use super unleaded fuel (Shell V-Power in particular). You'll also notice it's noisier for the first 5 minutes after it switches over, as it creates a bit of a buffer in the battery, then it will settle down and rev lower once it's created this buffer.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Even the (I presume) 'petrol only' gauge? I thought that would be like a regular ICE car that would show how many miles I can go on ICE alone.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding!!

Still, it was my first longer trip using ICE and it was fine really. Not really noticeable on the motorway, but maybe slightly moreso on the slower A roads, especially when it revs a bit higher. It's maybe not the most refined petrol engine, but it still has far less vibration than a diesel!
Yes, sadly the engine will be really efficient when you are sat at a constant 50mph on the flat, and give 60-65mpg. Hit a hill, or do 85mph and the fuel economy dives to maybe 40-45mpg. Hence why it fluctuates so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts