Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about the fact I have a full tank of petrol that I put in on 8th March. Have been pure electric on our once a week trip to supermarket during lockdown. According to Mr Google, petrol lasts in a tank 3-5 months before starting to deteriorat depending on how old it was when you bought it. I have just ordered some fuel stabiliser additive. Anyone else thought about this?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Been thinking about the fact I have a full tank of petrol that I put in on 8th March. Have been pure electric on our once a week trip to supermarket during lockdown. According to Mr Google, petrol lasts in a tank 3-5 months before starting to deteriorat depending on how old it was when you bought it. I have just ordered some fuel stabiliser additive. Anyone else thought about this?
Yes, manual says run down tank to red at least every 6 months. I therefore only put in 10- 15L in the tank after getting down to red to save on weight and make sure I do fulfil this requirement if not doing long journeys.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
You'll need to run the ICE to circulate the fuel stabiliser around the system - otherwise the fuel in the tank will be fine but the fuel lines and injectors will suffer.
A full tank of fuel keeps better than a part full tank.
Do you have a petrol mower? If so, consider draining the tank and keeping it for the mower, refill the tank with fresh petrol.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
You'll need to run the ICE to circulate the fuel stabiliser around the system - otherwise the fuel in the tank will be fine but the fuel lines and injectors will suffer.
A full tank of fuel keeps better than a part full tank.
Do you have a petrol mower? If so, consider draining the tank and keeping it for the mower, refill the tank with fresh petrol.
My Golf GTE starts the engine occassionally with a message like "engine needs to run for maintenance purposes". Presumably that will stir up the fuel system as well as the internal lubrication. It has not done that since lock-down though.

What exactly happens if you are running on deteriorated fuel?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Having filled up to the brim a couple of weeks prior to lockdown as had some long journeys planned I recently found that I had covered over 1,000 miles and barely touched a drop of the dino juice.

Concerned that fuel might be getting stale or accumlating moisture I studied the user manual in great detail and found there is a function which will consume the fuel and empty the tank at the touch of a in-convieniently placed button. It's called the.......

Get Tank Empty button 😁

·
Registered
156 Posts
"before starting" is the key phrase there. It would be ok for years, and the ECU of your car would deal with it. If you are losing sleep about it do for a drive, then top up the tank, or do nothing, it will be fine.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
My Golf GTE starts the engine occassionally with a message like "engine needs to run for maintenance purposes". Presumably that will stir up the fuel system as well as the internal lubrication. It has not done that since lock-down though.

What exactly happens if you are running on deteriorated fuel?
If you are unlucky the ethanol element supports the growth of an algae which forms jelly like lumps which will block fuel lines and injectors. If the lid is left off of the tank the more volatile elements will evaporate leading to the fuel burning slower and hotter, causing the engine to retard the timing and reduce power.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
If you are unlucky the ethanol element supports the growth of an algae which forms jelly like lumps which will block fuel lines and injectors. If the lid is left off of the tank the more volatile elements will evaporate leading to the fuel burning slower and hotter, causing the engine to retard the timing and reduce power.
Oooooo! Nasty!

Any idea how long that process takes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was under the impression, the fuel tank is pressurised, to prevent the fuel evaporating and leaving only sludge in the tank. I think that's why there is a delay when you pull the fuel filler flap release button to when the dash bings at you to tell you to begin fuelling. Also agree about the "engine needs to run for maintenance purposes" statements, as the fuel, oil and coolant need stirring u now and again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts