Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel station problem is all caused because the fuel tanks in ICEs are too big.
If they were legislated to be a maximum of 20 litres then panic buying would be almost eliminated.
It would discourage the increasing thirst of the latest SUV monsters and ensure drivers get a break on a long journey.
We could then ask ICE drivers “ how far does it go on a tank, and what happens when it runs out ? “

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
281 Posts
The fuel station problem is all caused because the fuel tanks in ICEs are too big.
If they were legislated to be a maximum of 20 litres then panic buying would be almost eliminated.
It would discourage the increasing thirst of the latest SUV monsters and ensure drivers get a break on a long journey.
We could then ask ICE drivers “ how far does it go on a tank, and what happens when it runs out ? “
Indeed, we should suggest that the concern felt by ICE drivers about fuel shortages might be a good simulation of 'range anxiety' - which may be coming their way if/when they go electric... (Unless the public charging system gets a lot better, and/or batteries/range improves a lot).

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
200 Posts
A friend suggested yesterday that there should be a minimum spend of £40. That way those with a half full (or more) tank either won’t top up or have to pay for the privilege.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
I've heard that they are going to limit charging to 10 Kw only. I'm just off to the local fast chargers to make sure I have enough to get to Edinburgh in case I need to suddenly go there.

Actually, maybe I should go and park at a Tesco free charger for the next 18 hours instead and get free charging and a full top up. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Why not just limit all cars (ICE included) to let's say max 100kWh of energy regardless of format.
So maximum tank size for diesel would be ~10 l - This would really focus people on efficiency.
Similar to our council taking away everyones general waste bin and replacing it with one half the size... Helped sharpen the efforts to re-cycle....

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ (2021 Model)
43 Posts
I'm surprised there's no Electric Vehicles "EV'ED" (not ICED) at diesel/petrol fuel pumps purchasing fuel by filling up their Jerry Cans for their lawn mowers just in case they need to mow the lawn in spring....:LOL::LOL:

Some motorists even resorted to buying water bottles to empty and then fill with fuel....probably to store in their shed with last years' toilet rolls and baked beans, just in case...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why not just limit all cars (ICE included) to let's say max 100kWh of energy regardless of format.
So maximum tank size for diesel would be ~10 l

This would really focus people on efficiency.
I wonder if the "School Run" is still a priority....I bet that's not changed with Chelsea Tractors still churning out fumes while they wait outside schools.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I'm surprised there's no Electric Vehicles "EV'ED" (not ICED) at diesel/petrol fuel pumps purchasing fuel by filling up their Jerry Cans for their lawn mowers just in case they need to mow the lawn in spring....
Why "Spring" ? I'd quite like to do a final mow during October but don't have a current petrol stock big enough for that. Hopefully I'll be able to get near a petrol forecourt by mid Oct - e;se I'll have to pretend I'm having a no-mow Oct for 'environmental' reasons.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
We've been using an "EV" lawn mower for the past few years, a Makita (solely because I have a stock of Makita batteries for tools). Works a treat, and runs for around 45 minutes or so on a charge, more than enough for our lawn. It's also very light and easy to store, the battery packs are probably the heaviest bits, and they both get unplugged and put in a dual charger after each session.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was joking...... most lawns will need a final few cuts between now and winter. ..... Looks like it'll be "MOW-VEMBER" once the ICE drivers will overfill their tanks, just in case they need it for Xmas Shopping.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
We've been using an "EV" lawn mower for the past few years, a Makita (solely because I have a stock of Makita batteries for tools). Works a treat, and runs for around 45 minutes or so on a charge, more than enough for our lawn. It's also very light and easy to store, the battery packs are probably the heaviest bits, and they both get unplugged and put in a dual charger after each session.
Suspect I have a little more grass to cut than Jeremy. I use a ride-on mower as there's approaching half an acre of grass and I also use it to tow around a small trailer for topsoil. bark chippings and anything else OH decrees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts