Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Fuel

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  donald 
#1 ·
Feeling quite smug today, certainly taking ICE drivers longer to "charge" their cars than EV's. Huge ques at all petrol stations.

#5 ·
It will still be much cheaper and more convenient than fuelling with petrol or diesel
Only cheaper because of all the hidden subsidisation, price levelling and fuel duties.

Oddly I had a long drive today and getting constantly stopped on main roads for no apparent reason .. until I realised it was people queuing to turn right into petrol stations!! Every petrol station I passed they were queued up the road, except one ....

I had half a tank, so 500 miles no problem, still I came across a BP station which had sold out of regular diesel but had the super supreme stuff (or whatever it is called) and I've been meaning to try that stuff for a while anyway to see if my 'new' diesel runs better on it, so pulled up, no queue, filled back up to 1,000 mile range. Took a few minutes. All fine. Yes, I also found it hilarious people queuing up like that, presumably next week they'll be empty and easy to access? Or maybe we are going to be completely out of fuel and gas for months now which would then also mean ... electricity cuts too ...

There is no point hoping for reduced diesel availability because when diesel availability fails then all the food distribution trunking fails too, and no-one gives two tosses about EVs if they are starving from empty shelves.

#7 ·
Another reason not to be smug is that it's not all easy for EV drivers. It's OK for those of us that only need to charge at home and can so so. For longer trips, when we can all be as sure as a Tesla driver that we'll be able to find an available and working charger at the place where we expect it, then we'll have something to be smug about.

#10 ·
It's a 1.6 TDi Passat.

I was actually after a 1.2 TDi Fabia because I can get about 110mpg out of those, but they only made them in Euro 4. Now they don't make any small car diesel Euro 6 (which I was after, congestion nonsense and all that) so figured the remainder would be much the same 'middling 80's mpg', pah. I also wanted a pre April 2017 to stinge on the VED, in fact this car is £20, 104g/km, as the £0 VED Passats were more expensive and didn't make sense and I knew I could get this sort of mileage out of them without the additional trickery they use to get them homologated under 99g/km.

I actually get around 95 to 100mpg when cruising around 60mph but one has to be very alert to terrain changes and modify the engine demand very carefully to sustain that. The mpg is not a proportional thing and it drops off severely due to just a few miles of worse mpg at either end of the trip. 85mpg is including the 'start stop' stuff at both ends of the journey, but in the cruise it is more like;-

Car Automotive design Grey Personal luxury car Vehicle

#11 ·
That is good. 86mpg diesel equivalent to about 75mpg in petrol from a CO2 perspective. Impressive, for a fossil, though it shows what can be achieved if you basically drive without using the turbo and underfuel, diesel style, all the time on a long run with it all up to temperature. Most people do not have the patience to do this.
As you no doubt realise an EV would likely achieve 150-200 mpge in the same circumstances, but that's a whole other debate..

#12 ·
it shows what can be achieved if you basically drive without using the turbo and underfuel, diesel style, all the time on a long run with it all up to temperature.
I get 66 to 75mpg on my 4 mile commute (cold start to parked), which I think is pretty good where I am able to avoid traffic queues. I've been slowly figuring out what parts of the drive are best done under what engine loads to improve that, so I am usually over 70mpg now.

It will drop to around 55mpg on that 4 mile commute route if it tries to do a regen, which is annoying as it can't do a 'proper' regen in that time, and I do enough long trips that it shouldn't need to do that, but has happened twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.