Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
So I’m just coming to the end of a 7 hour charge through a 3 pin house plug, and my brand new 2020 EGolf is saying I only have 76 miles of range! Now I know that new cars/batteries take a while to bed in, but this is just ridiculous!
I called VW and they said it could be the cold weather that’s causing the issue. My car should say about 160 miles and return about 125, if I drive sensibly, but to be full and only say 76 miles! There’s surely got to be something wrong. Anyone know if I should book it in for a check up, or should I stop panicking? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,562 Posts
You should really get a proper charger installed and not rely on the three pin charger.

The range estimate will be based on previous use. So drive it for a bit and it should normalise.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,422 Posts
How full was your battery to start with? You'll only add about 2kW through a "granny" charger so that's about 50-60 miles additional range in 7 hours.
A full charge in 7 hours from near empty can only be achieved with a 7kW charger.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,800 Posts
Check in the settings as well that the car is set to charge to 100%.

I’ve forgotten already which bit of the menu it’s in, but you can set the battery to charge to a maximum less than 100%.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If you do a lot of stop-start trips you'l get low miles/kWh thanks to all the cabin-heating & maybe battery heating as well, that happens at the start of a trip. Your GOM will "learn" your driving habits & predicts the range. Frequently this is a poor guess as the occasional long trip taken gently will give far better m/kWh that several short ones totalling the same distance. It's not unknown to get m/kwh & hence GOM predictions of 50% the WLTP summer-best figures.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Egolf has always had very low range. There used to be a page on vw website that tells you what to expect. I checked now and it is no longer there. But there were sliders / toggle buttons to show the range based on when / where you drive.
From advertised 144 miles it drops to about 90 if you drive on motorway in winter. And this is best case scenario - in real life it will be less than that. So your range does not surprise really :(
I was also looking into eGolf 2 years ago but that put me off. It meant I couldn't even pick my parents from the airport (2x70 miles round trip).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Also check that you have set it to charge to 100%, easy to change in the settings and lots of people for some odd reasons choose to only charge to a certain percentage. Also GOM range can be wildly off, only way you'd know is to drive 70 miles and see how much battery you had left, likely a lot if you did indeed start at 100%.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you pre-condition the battery? That would give you a better idea. Is this the first time it has been so low on range?
Hi
So it increased on my drive home from 71 to 101, which makes me feel a bit better.
as for conditioning the battery, all I’ve done is plug it in a few times. Do you have any advice as to what I can do differently then?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,800 Posts
Hi
So it increased on my drive home from 71 to 101, which makes me feel a bit better.
as for conditioning the battery, all I’ve done is plug it in a few times. Do you have any advice as to what I can do differently then?
Yep, just charge and drive your car normally and don’t worry about it! 🙂👍

The pre-conditioning of the battery being referred to is to give you maximum range on a longer journey, by warming the battery, but you’ve effectively done that anyway by charging it for 7 hours before you drove it. You can also pre-heat the cabin from the App or on the in-car timers to heat the car whilst plugged in, instead of via the car resistive heater which takes its energy from the traction battery when underway.

The predicted range is just that, a guess based on the efficiency of your last few miles of driving. If that was a short journey in the cold, then it would be less.

The only thing that says whether your battery is fully charged or not are the blue bars on the graphic showing the car battery. Annoyingly, the e-Golf doesn’t display battery percentage, although you can install the WeConnect ID App and enter the same login details as the WeConnect App and it will show you the percentage charged of the battery.

The estimated range remaining once your underway is pretty accurate in my experience of the e-Golf, which is all you need to worry about really.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
765 Posts
Hi All
So I’m just coming to the end of a 7 hour charge through a 3 pin house plug, and my brand new 2020 EGolf is saying I only have 76 miles of range! Now I know that new cars/batteries take a while to bed in, but this is just ridiculous!
I called VW and they said it could be the cold weather that’s causing the issue. My car should say about 160 miles and return about 125, if I drive sensibly, but to be full and only say 76 miles! There’s surely got to be something wrong. Anyone know if I should book it in for a check up, or should I stop panicking? Thanks in advance.
Is that on a full charge? ie battery says 100%?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Are you sure it’s full? 7h on a 3 pin may not be enough.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
If you've only just collected the car and this is your first charge the battery won't be holding full charge, its probably 29-30kWh in this weather. If the car only had delivery mileage on then it will be very short trips that are very inefficient. The GOM much be reflecting this. You should be getting 90-100 miles from a full charge unless you drive over the speed limit on the motorway all the time.
When I use the granny charger and my Golf is nearly empty it says something like 14 hrs to fully charge.
Unless you have a charge timer set you can't limit the charge % to stop charging before it's fully charged. If the battery gauge is showing fully charged then its just the inefficient first driving. Give it a few days and it will improve.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, just charge and drive your car normally and don’t worry about it! 🙂👍

The pre-conditioning of the battery being referred to is to give you maximum range on a longer journey, by warming the battery, but you’ve effectively done that anyway by charging it for 7 hours before you drove it. You can also pre-heat the cabin from the App or on the in-car timers to heat the car whilst plugged in, instead of via the car resistive heater which takes its energy from the traction battery when underway.

The predicted range is just that, a guess based on the efficiency of your last few miles of driving. If that was a short journey in the cold, then it would be less.

The only thing that says whether your battery is fully charged or not are the blue bars on the graphic showing the car battery. Annoyingly, the e-Golf doesn’t display battery percentage, although you can install the WeConnect ID App and enter the same login details as the WeConnect App and it will show you the percentage charged of the battery.

The estimated range remaining once your underway is pretty accurate in my experience of the e-Golf, which is all you need to worry about really.
Thank you very much. That’s very useful and informative. Much appreciated. My fear has been allayed somewhat.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
713 Posts
Another thing to take into account is with a new car you may need to charge the battery to 100% a few times so the BMS can condition it (but remember not to leave it at 100% for a long duration!). I would then charge to no more then 90% and run it down to no less then 20% if possible. At the moment I do this to our Zoe and then maybe every 5th charge or so give it a full charge for the BMS if I’m then going to take it out. There’s a definite reduction in miles this time of year though.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
If the car only had delivery mileage on then it will be very short trips that are very inefficient.
When I picked up my MG it must have been driven by someone who thought they were driving round Brands Hatch. The GOM readings were slow low. :mad: Soon came up to decent levels driven by someone who cares.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another thing to take into account is with a new car you may need to charge the battery to 100% a few times so the BMS can condition it (but remember not to leave it at 100% for a long duration!). I would then charge to no more then 90% and run it down to no less then 20% if possible. At the moment I do this to our Zoe and then maybe every 5th charge or so give it a full charge for the BMS if I’m then going to take it out. There’s a definite reduction in miles this time of year though.
Hi Dion
Thank you for taking the time to reply. That sounds easy enough to do. I charge it at work and it’s very easy to stop the charge at the correct times. I don’t like the idea of getting so low though! Range anxiety really does suck!
Also, as a facilities manager, BMS means Building Management System to me, but I doubt that’s what it means for EV’s! Can you enlighten me please?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.