Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just received my new car a week ago but I find when I charge the car to 100% it does not give a range of 280 miles but maxes out at 256 miles. Is this correct as I expected a full charge to deliver 280 miles of range, any help would be most appreciated

·
Registered
324 Posts
Your range will be based on the last few trips you've done. Have a look at the EV settings and history and it will show what you've been averaging the range is then guessed at based on this. I found it took around a month for my 30kWh Soul to get accurate* based on my regular commute and then it takes a week or so to adjust to fluctations in the outside temperature as you move between the seasons (for example in the height of summer it would show a range of 150 and depths of winter just over 100). Compared to a Leaf (24kWh) and my current e-Golf the Kia GOM is a lot less prone to wild fluctations as you drive and is more accurate that the figure it gives you will be the range you can get (*unless you drive drastically differently to usual).

Jonny Smith covers this in detail in his 3 month review of his 2020 Soul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your range will be based on the last few trips you've done. Have a look at the EV settings and history and it will show what you've been averaging the range is then guessed at based on this. I found it took around a month for my 30kWh Soul to get accurate* based on my regular commute and then it takes a week or so to adjust to fluctations in the outside temperature as you move between the seasons (for example in the height of summer it would show a range of 150 and depths of winter just over 100). Compared to a Leaf (24kWh) and my current e-Golf the Kia GOM is a lot less prone to wild fluctations as you drive and is more accurate that the figure it gives you will be the range you can get (*unless you drive drastically differently to usual).

Thanks for the info it sure puts my mind at ease as I was beginning to think some of the cells were faulty.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Thanks for the info it sure puts my mind at ease as I was beginning to think some of the cells were faulty.
The Kia GOM is actually very accurate.
Just put it into eco mode, turn off air con and drive like a nun if you want a big number.
Though you'd be certifiable to turn off air con today!!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
The Kia GOM is actually very accurate.
Just put it into eco mode, turn off air con and drive like a nun if you want a big number.
Though you'd be certifiable to turn off air con today!!
I think the OP was expecting the 100% range to be the same as the WLTP used in all the blurb.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I think the OP was expecting the 100% range to be the same as the WLTP used in all the blurb.
Yes, it's common as it's quite reasonable to misunderstand it coming from ICE cars.
They use a fixed value based on volume of liquid and EV manufacturers never seem keen to display actual kWh stored.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you achieve an average 4 mile per Kwh you are doing well
Kia electric are some of the most efficient cars available today.
Can you switch range to battery percentage? This would be more accurate once you know how far you get per 1%
Its easy on my 30 leaf 1% =1 mile ish.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you achieve an average 4 mile per Kwh you are doing well
Kia electric are some of the most efficient cars available today.
Can you switch range to battery percentage? This would be more accurate once you know how far you get per 1%
Its easy on my 30 leaf 1% =1 mile ish.
The Kia GOM is far more accurate than the fantasy that the leaf GOM is.
Percent is available too but I don't find myself using it very much.
It's not a neat as the leaf 30 1% per mile though a decent motorway speed can get it down to 1% per 2 miles :D
That said, last summer I was close to the 280 WLTP range at an indicated 70mph (65 real).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts