·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there picked up my corsa yesterday
Full charge at the dealer showed 197 miles
I drove it home and did 44 miles
after a full recharge this morning it shows 197 miles
I was expecting to see the advertised range of over 200 - is this normal ?
S

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
It’s an estimate based on your prior usage. It’s normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ! My first ev and first experience so I don’t know what to expect ....
So does that mean it will never achieve the 200+ ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
The WLTP stated mileage from ALL manufacturers are quite hard to achieve and will definitely be affected by the roads you drive (urban vs A & B roads vs motorway) and how fast you drive them.And how warm it is. If the car spends most of its time on urban low speed roads then you should be able to achieve over 200 miles quite easily during warmer months (eg-from now until September) and expect a fall in mileage during the cooler/colder months- October to February.
Also due to it being an EV you tend not to want to run the battery to very low State of Charge (SoC) but you will get better at judging this as you own the car and how far your are from a charger or from home if that is where you charge.

We have had an e-208 since December and seen the same mileage estimates as you so far (197 miles at 100% charge).
But in reality over winter, range was about 115-130 miles. Now it is warmer it is 140-165 miles. So should be over 180 miles soon. And am hoping to get 200+ miles during June to August. Mostly urban commuting with a bit of fast A roads. Will keep you posted!

When the battery level dropped in to the red zone, when we plugged it in to a Instavolt Fast charger, it showed this equated to 10-11% battery remaining, so still had about 10-12 mile range left.(at worst). It is a shame that PSA give a mileage remaining readout instead of battery % which would be more useful as the mileage readout changes in a non linear way.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
So does that mean it will never achieve the 200+ ?
How easily/often did you achieve the manufacturer quoted MPG in a petrol/diesel car? That'll give you a rough idea of how achievable the quoted 200+ mile range is/

Disclaimer: the accuracy of this statement is questionable because testing regimes changed from NEDC to WLTP, so it depends a lot on what the last petrol/diesel car you drove is, but the point still stands - regardless of testing regime, manufacturer quoted numbers are usually a bit... optimistic.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
145 Posts
Like the others have mentioned, the range estimate is based on your driving and to be honest should be taken a little with a pinch of salt. It depends on weather, outside temperature, your driving style, the speeds you're driving at (~60mph on a motorway is better for range than 70+ for e.g.).

And yeah, it was a weird adjustment for me getting used to the range fluctuations but it was indeed the same in my previous petrol car to be honest. Fuel would go a little further depending on my driving style, roads I was on etc etc. Also yeah, my car never reached the MPG advertised before, haha. I'd actually say the range estimate on the EV is more accurate than the MPG ever was.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019, 2014 Nissan Leaf
170 Posts
Hi there picked up my corsa yesterday
Full charge at the dealer showed 197 miles
I drove it home and did 44 miles
after a full recharge this morning it shows 197 miles
I was expecting to see the advertised range of over 200 - is this normal ?
S
Variability in the Guess O Meter is expected. The GOM makes a guess as the how far you might drive, based on past driving and the state of charge (how full the battery is).

Before a recent trip, the GOM full charge was showing 190 miles on my e-tron 55. Advertised range is 204 miles. I had been doing mostly short trips complete with stops in drive up window queues, all with climate control running. This sort of driving is just not efficient.

After 300 highway miles, including a short quick charge and a longer L2 charge, the GOM on a full charge was showing 212 miles.

Want to see over the advertised range or more? Drive efficiently, especially in warmer weather.

Under amusement, driving home (and I got home with 16% left) the silly GOM/navigation was telling me I wouldn't make it. Why? I was going from near sea level over a 4000 foot altitude pass to near sea level. The silly GOM was projecting climbing the pass all the way home.

The most extreme example of this I've had was in a 24kWh LEAF having 38 miles to drive, and a GOM telling me I could only go 8 miles. At the top of a mountain this was, the car could almost coast most of the 38 miles, and added 15% to the battery on the way down.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
539 Posts
Just completed a 484 mile round trip in my Corsa-e this weekend. Started out on Friday at 90% SoC with temperature at 12 degC, dry roads. GoM (for what it’s worth) showed 147 miles range. Apart from 2-3 miles at each end on B roads, it was all dual-carriageway or motorway (A14/M6).

Stopped after about 50 minutes at BP Newmarket and used a forlorn looking Ecotricity charger while I got a coffee. It took 3 attempts to get it working but eventually gave a reasonable 41kW over the 23 minutes I was there. I had been intending to top up at Extra services Cambridge but thought I’d check this location out and bladder needs etc.

Departed with 83% SoC with the intention of stopping next at the new Instavolt chargers at Corley Northbound on the M6. Arrived there with about 20% SoC and charged at an empty bank of 6 chargers to 85% SoC. The Instavolt was actually giving 53kW, and Charged for about 42 minutes while had my lunch.

I had planned to make one more stop before my destination as I wanted to arrive with around 30%-40% SoC at my destination. On this leg, I encountered torrential rain and a temperature drop down to 7 deg C as I passed through a cold front. I was going to stop at Sandbach Co-Op which has a BP rapid but decided to stop at Sandbach services instead. There were 2 Ecotricity chargers there and one of them was a very new looking twin head unit so used that for a quick, effortless, charge back to 80% SoC for about 20 minutes whilst I discharged and replenished fluids.

Arrived at destination comfortably with around 50% SoC and the trip meter showing an average consumption of 3.2 miles/kWh whilst maintaining 65 mph for most of the trip. Not bad considering the very heavy rain, blustery, quartering wind and temperature drop into single figures.

Return journey yesterday started out with 70% SoC with blustery, quartering, winds but temp at 14 deg C and dry/damp roads. Stopped at Keele services on M6 at the tatty looking Ecotricity chargers and topped up for 45 minutes at a disappointingly slow 35kW charge speed. That took me up to 84% SoC.

Next pit stop was an Instavolt on the A14 near Kettering. Again, the Instavolt delivered at its max speed of over 50kW. I topped up to 85% which took 35 minutes, which is perfect for a pit stop.

Arrived home and the trip computer showed an average consumption of 3.7 miles/kWh. If I average both trips out and considering the abysmal weather for part of the outbound journey that’s 3.45 miles/kWh, which, with a 47kWh actual usable battery, that gives a motorway range of 162 miles. Under ideal conditions, I could do the journey with one stop if I start out with 100% SoC and plan on recharging to 85% around half way but I’d arrive with a low SoC and would still need to find a rapid charger the next day if I needed to use the car whilst at the destination.

I know that I can easily get 230+ miles around town on a full charge. My other trip meter which hasnt been reset since I got the car 8 months ago is showing an average consumption of 3.7 miles/kWh from a start of 4.5 miles/kWh. As the temperatures get better, I can see that going back up to a respectable 4 miles/kWh for an all year round average by the time we get to the end of July.

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Just completed a 484 mile round trip in my Corsa-e this weekend. Started out on Friday at 90% SoC with temperature at 12 degC, dry roads. GoM (for what it’s worth) showed 147 miles range. Apart from 2-3 miles at each end on B roads, it was all dual-carriageway or motorway (A14/M6).

Stopped after about 50 minutes at BP Newmarket and used a forlorn looking Ecotricity charger while I got a coffee. It took 3 attempts to get it working but eventually gave a reasonable 41kW over the 23 minutes I was there. I had been intending to top up at Extra services Cambridge but thought I’d check this location out and bladder needs etc.

Departed with 83% SoC with the intention of stopping next at the new Instavolt chargers at Corley Northbound on the M6. Arrived there with about 20% SoC and charged at an empty bank of 6 chargers to 85% SoC. The Instavolt was actually giving 53kW, and Charged for about 42 minutes while had my lunch.

I had planned to make one more stop before my destination as I wanted to arrive with around 30%-40% SoC at my destination. On this leg, I encountered torrential rain and a temperature drop down to 7 deg C as I passed through a cold front. I was going to stop at Sandbach Co-Op which has a BP rapid but decided to stop at Sandbach services instead. There were 2 Ecotricity chargers there and one of them was a very new looking twin head unit so used that for a quick, effortless, charge back to 80% SoC for about 20 minutes whilst I discharged and replenished fluids.

Arrived at destination comfortably with around 50% SoC and the trip meter showing an average consumption of 3.2 miles/kWh whilst maintaining 65 mph for most of the trip. Not bad considering the very heavy rain, blustery, quartering wind and temperature drop into single figures.

Return journey yesterday started out with 70% SoC with blustery, quartering, winds but temp at 14 deg C and dry/damp roads. Stopped at Keele services on M6 at the tatty looking Ecotricity chargers and topped up for 45 minutes at a disappointingly slow 35kW charge speed. That took me up to 84% SoC.

Next pit stop was an Instavolt on the A14 near Kettering. Again, the Instavolt delivered at its max speed of over 50kW. I topped up to 85% which took 35 minutes, which is perfect for a pit stop.

Arrived home and the trip computer showed an average consumption of 3.7 miles/kWh. If I average both trips out and considering the abysmal weather for part of the outbound journey that’s 3.45 miles/kWh, which, with a 47kWh actual usable battery, that gives a motorway range of 162 miles. Under ideal conditions, I could do the journey with one stop if I start out with 100% SoC and plan on recharging to 85% around half way but I’d arrive with a low SoC and would still need to find a rapid charger the next day if I needed to use the car whilst at the destination.

I know that I can easily get 230+ miles around town on a full charge. My other trip meter which hasnt been reset since I got the car 8 months ago is showing an average consumption of 3.7 miles/kWh from a start of 4.5 miles/kWh. As the temperatures get better, I can see that going back up to a respectable 4 miles/kWh for an all year round average by the time we get to the end of July.
Edited to fix the units, kW is power, kWh is energy.

Reactions: b789pilot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all
It is super interesting ; I’ll keep an eye on it now - charged it today and it said 200miles

I also noticed with the school run today was the first time the range decreased in line with the distance driven ....

So many variables at play ; wonder if it does some learning along the way ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts