Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been looking on Ebay for months, I finally managed to source a full sized spare wheel for £120. I know the GS wheels are said to fit, but I wanted one to match the others! The wheel was sold on Ebay as scratched, but most of it was just mud that cleaned off. I am pretty happy with it.

If buying a wheel, you will also need to purchase MG part number 10290600 (Tire pressure sensor with valve - around £33) One thing to note is that if you purchase the sensor / valve it does not come with the nut to secure it. I was pretty pissed when I found this out and then had to mess about waiting for the nut to come (had to rearrange my tyre fitting with black circle). Consequently, the dealer let me have the nut for free, but I think it is normally about £4. Just make sure you order it at the same time as the Sensor / valve.

I did worry that a full size spare wheel may not fit in the back, but it actually fits quite well. Granted, you have to use the second boot level position, but I'm okay with that. As for weight, my bathroom scales say the wheel with tyre weighs 19.8kg, so the weight is negligible.

In my opinion it's a much better solution than a space saver. It's the only car I have owned in my life which has not come with a full size spare. I have even been delaying my holiday until it was sorted, as it worries me sick. Plus, I threw in a proper breaker bar and socket, as I hate those stupid wheel spanners. All the tools fit well in some old rubber wellies!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Having been looking on Ebay for months, I finally managed to source a full sized spare wheel for £120. I know the GS wheels are said to fit, but I wanted one to match the others! The wheel was sold on Ebay as scratched, but most of it was just mud that cleaned off. I am pretty happy with it.

If buying a wheel, you will also need to purchase MG part number 10290600 (Tire pressure sensor with valve - around £33) One thing to note is that if you purchase the sensor / valve it does not come with the nut to secure it. I was pretty pissed when I found this out and then had to mess about waiting for the nut to come (had to rearrange my tyre fitting with black circle). Consequently, the dealer let me have the nut for free, but I think it is normally about £4. Just make sure you order it at the same time as the Sensor / valve.

I did worry that a full size spare wheel may not fit in the back, but it actually fits quite well. Granted, you have to use the second boot level position, but I'm okay with that. As for weight, my bathroom scales say the wheel with tyre weighs 19.8kg, so the weight is negligible.

In my opinion it's a much better solution than a space saver. It's the only car I have owned in my life which has not come with a full size spare. I have even been delaying my holiday until it was sorted, as it worries me sick. Plus, I threw in a proper breaker bar and socket, as I hate those stupid wheel spanners. All the tools fit well in some old rubber wellies!

Nice job.
Love the MOD with the wellies and the wooden hold down steampunks, you need to put MG stickers on them ! LOL.
If you don’t need the extra space in the boot with the bott floor covering on its lowest setting, then it’s a great idea.
Have the facility for a full sized spare wheel an ANY car today is very rare.
Did you purchase the same tyre as the OEM ones, or did you go for a budget tyre for the spare ?.
Probably would have been my choice.
It’s a nice to have a good “Peace Of Mind Thing” really.
You do realise of course, that now you have the perfect set up, you are not likely to get a puncture for the life of the car !.
Bloody typical !.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You do realise of course, that now you have the perfect set up, you are not likely to get a puncture for the life of the car !.
Bloody typical !.
My previous car had an unrepairable puncture three weeks before I sold it, the only time I ever had one on that car. Cost me £120 for a new tyre :(

How much are new tyres for the eZS of the same type?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The space saver that I have is under 12kg.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you purchase the same tyre as the OEM ones, or did you go for a budget tyre for the spare ?.
How much are new tyres for the eZS of the same type?
The car originally came with MICHELIN Primacy 3 tyres, which have now been discontinued by MICHELIN. When I had my last puncture I replaced it with a Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. For the spare, I also ordered a Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. They are pretty good tyres and around £100. In my opinion they are up to the same quality as the Michelin's but a little cheaper.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The facility for a full sized spare wheel on an ANY car today is very rare.
Yes, it's a great pity, especially on something like the MG, which does have room. Actually, there is plenty of room under the car, where they could have fit one. It would have been out of the way and would not have compromised any boot space. I even had something like that on an old Citroen Saxo that I bought for my girlfriend to learn to drive in. People bang on about weight, but the weight is negligible compared to the space saver.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Yes the jack is in the wellies! It's more than 2 ton off an old pickup I had.
Have you tried it on this car?

I’d be worried if the car is not on level and hard ground with a scissor jack. Not really worth a crushed hand or head when it slips off on a cold, dark night.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
ah, you've got the jacks of all trades!
Hey !.
You never know when you are going to need 14 jacks :ROFLMAO:.
I have NO room to talk, I have four lawn mowers and a window box :eek:.
Only joking, I do have some lawn space, but not enough to justify 4 mowers.
The wife thinks I am crazy, I know I am !.

·
Journeyman Human
449 Posts
The car originally came with MICHELIN Primacy 3 tyres, which have now been discontinued by MICHELIN. When I had my last puncture I replaced it with a Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. For the spare, I also ordered a Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. They are pretty good tyres and around £100. In my opinion they are up to the same quality as the Michelin's but a little cheaper.
I don't know if Primacy 3 have actually been discontinued, but they are certainly still readily available at lots of places!

I'm loving the wellies lol!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if Primacy 3 have actually been discontinued, but they are certainly still readily available at lots of places!
Most places I tried at the time were only stocking Primacy 4. I found one place with one Primacy 3 tyre, but they wanted more for it than the Primacy 4. I think places selling Primacy 3 are probably shifting old stock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have NO room to talk, I have four lawn mowers and a window box
I have a couple of old lawn mowers as well! I seem to acquire lawn mowers, washing machines etc with a view to repairing them, but never get round to it! I also have a big old drill press that I have been intending to repair for about 5 years! I have lots of ideas and projects always on the go, but end up doing sod all.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
I have a couple of old lawn mowers as well! I seem to acquire lawn mowers, washing machines etc with a view to repairing them, but never get round to it! I also have a big old drill press that I have been intending to repair for about 5 years! I have lots of ideas and projects always on the go, but end up doing sod all.
Do you keep your spare sofa on the front lawn? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts