Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I always put shell vpower in my car, just interested to know how many miles your car says it's got when you fill the tank up?

Andy

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have always shopped around for fuel and will sometimes use supermarket fuel when the premium brands are unavailable at a competitive price - with a full tank and a fully charged battery I usually see a range of around 335 but I often have to refill before it gets too low.
I have completed almost 11,000 miles since buying the car at the beginning of May and my running costs to date work out at 6.9p a mile - I have used 424 Litres of petrol at an average price of £1.32 a Litre (my preferred brand is BP Ultimate Unleaded) and I have used 1,755 kWh of mains electricity at a fixed price of £0.099 per kWh.
My average petrol consumption works out at 114.2 mpg. This is the lowest its been because I am using the ICE a lot more in the cold weather. In the Summer, I had months when it was over 200 mpg.
I was advised to use premium fuel but I am not sure if there are any real cost benefits. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of the Ampera can advise.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have always shopped around for fuel and will sometimes use supermarket fuel when the premium brands are unavailable at a competitive price - with a full tank and a fully charged battery I usually see a range of around 335 but I often have to refill before it gets too low.
I have completed almost 11,000 miles since buying the car at the beginning of May and my running costs to date work out at 6.9p a mile - I have used 424 Litres of petrol at an average price of £1.32 a Litre (my preferred brand is BP Ultimate Unleaded) and I have used 1,755 kWh of mains electricity at a fixed price of £0.99 per kWh.
My average petrol consumption works out at 114.2 mpg. This is the lowest its been because I am using the ICE a lot more in the cold weather. In the Summer, I had months when it was over 200 mpg.
I was advised to use premium fuel but I am not sure if there are any real cost benefits. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of the Ampera can advise.
Surely you don't pay 99p per kWh?!
I believe Donald had looked into the composition of fuels and felt that Shell VPower was the best option due to it not having added ethanol (or some additive he felt was better left out the fuel if it were going to sit in our tanks/pipelines for long periods). No doubt if your burning the fuel I doubt the type makes a difference in these engines.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,992 Posts
Surely you don't pay 99p per kWh?!
I believe Donald had looked into the composition of fuels and felt that Shell VPower was the best option due to it not having added ethanol (or some additive he felt was better left out the fuel if it were going to sit in our tanks/pipelines for long periods). No doubt if your burning the fuel I doubt the type makes a difference in these engines.
I was just reading this thread thinking 'now... what was it I found out?'... ;)

Yeah, so it is a good idea to try to find the composition of the petrol, you want to avoid stuff with oxygen in it, like ethanol, it does react over a very long time, but I suspect it is so small an effect as to ignore it. Possibly more so is that the ethanol might deferentially evaporate and leave a different 'mixture' after a while. It is a sealed pressurised system to prevent that sort of thing, but the seal is a mechanical thing and will leak a little. Hence it forces you to burn it off after a while.

At the time I was looking, as modo says, I think I found Vpower was ethanol free. It's a required mix in petrol in a mistaken EU attempt to introduce biofuels, but the mix is across a supplier's whole petrol range, so as long as their quota is fulfilled on the cheaper grades they can afford to offer a bit of ethanol-free 'connoisseur' grade petrol. Go to the website and check out the composition, it may have changed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I filled up with Shell VPower 99 Octane today - I suspect it hurt my wallet more than it benefitted my Ampera . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just looked on the Shell UK website and found only one reference to ethanol, here:
which says only "in the UK, Shell regular unleaded and Shell V-Power unleaded are likely to contain some ethanol, but it will not be present at more than 5% "

Further web browsing turned up an interesting discussion on the Jaguar -Type forum here:
This suggests that Esso Supreme + 97 RON is a better bet for those looking for ethanol-free unleaded, but the whole thread is worth reading for anyone interested in this subject.

Also be warned the Esso Supreme pump will most likely be labelled E5 even though it is (currently) E0.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts