Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received an email. What with Patreon and YouTube revenue, not to mention some very obvious sponsorship and contra-deals, this latest attempt to grab our pounds....sorry, I mean “imaginations”, has all the whiff of something that could leave egg on various faces when it goes wrong. Then again, it might just work for those involved.

I can only assume this is part of the “different direction” Jonny Smith was referring to in his statement when he left.

Either way, Cringe

·
Registered
194 Posts
Getting too big for their boots. It does do great content, but there are lots of people doing great content. Subscription model seems to be more appropriate. What do they plan to do with this investment?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hadn’t watched it for months until Jonny joined and then, only for his road tests. So now back to avoiding again.

Too much ranting and force feeding of one man’s point of view for my liking.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
109 Posts
I like to watch a wide range of channels on EVs and clean energy. It gives a better balance of views. I prefer the one person videos where they have done their own research, filming and editing. Making money or making a living from producing videos gets harder as ad blockers get much more common and average income per view goes down. So a channel asking for more outside funding is more likely to be on its way out than generating increasing revenue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love fully charged and I hope they continue to do well. I don’t think it’s for ‘expert’ level EV news but right now the world is looking for channels like this as a introduction.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,658 Posts
It's on Dave these days I think, though I'm sure repeats pop up all over the show.
Yeah, since series X IIRC. TBH they started to get a bit too much wacky since then. The Doug Naylor and Bob Grant books where I think the series came from (not sure which came first) are a damn good read.

Reactions: Vertigo

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,250 Posts
wtf is netflix, I watch it on bbc 2 i think
You can buy it in a box that you plug in to the socket.

You have to 'connect' it to 'the internet' but I have that in another box. The whole thing, I have it! Not sure what everyone else connects to when I have it upstairs, or maybe they are all connecting to mine?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, since series X IIRC. TBH they started to get a bit too much wacky since then. The Doug Naylor and Bob Grant books where I think the series came from (not sure which came first) are a damn good read.
The series came first, I don't remember there being any episodes that were adapted from book material rather than the other way around.

But yeah, they are great books, particularly the first one. More pathos and deeper character building than the show, while still being funny and creative.

IMO what 21st century Red Dwarf most sorely needs is narrative propulsion and continuity, some sense of an ultimate goal and lasting ramifications from the episodic hijinks. The books had those in spades, and benefited greatly from it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts