Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Passat Estate GTE Advance
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I bought a brand new 2020 Passat Estate GTE Advance - wonderful car!! However, I have fully charged it 3 times now and the electric range has shown 28, 26, 27 miles respectively on each occasion. I understood that it should be around 35/36 miles. The VW dealer I bought the car from says to give it a week and the full charge range will change. I didn't have this issue when I bought my previous GTE brand new three years ago. Is the dealer telling me porkies or will the charge adjust itself?

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
The energy in the battery will not change, but the rolling resistance of the car will reduce over the first few miles. How many miles have you done? What range did you get from your previous GTE, and was it a Golf or Passat?

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
It'll take a few hundred to settle down, particularly if the dealer didn't put many on it (they can zero the odometer with up to 200 on it, sometimes they do less than 10 if everything is perfect when they receive it).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My previous GTE was also a Passat Estate but not the Advance. The display always showed a full charge of 30/31 miles (even when brand new), although, of course, that range was never actually achieved. Whilst I am not expected to actually achieve 35 miles from a full charge, I assumed that it was what would show in the infotainment display.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
That's not a good assumption, the GOM does take time to adjust to actual usage.
Given a 31% bigger battery I'm surprised that you are not getting more indicated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to be an idiot - what does GOM mean?
Surely, the figure indicated on the infotainment display is not related to the actual usuage, but it is the maximum "official" range according to the various official tests?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
GOM Guess-O-Meter
The generic name for the range meter in ev's

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Surely, the figure indicated on the infotainment display is not related to the actual usuage, but it is the maximum "official" range according to the various official tests?
It is based upon recent usage of your car. The GOM is well nicknamed, but if you have been using the heating etc., driving fast, in wet weather, or any of the other range eaters then you can expect the indicated range to go down. Drive more economically by avoiding those and the range will go up. What it doesn't explain is quite why yours has trended downwards so far, and why it is so much worse than your previous one unless you are treating it differently.
As an aside, but when Nissan went from the LEAF24 to the 30 they changed the battery chemistry and the initial setting of the firmware was more pessimistic. An update to the firmware changed that but it related to the SoH. I wonder whether VW have done something similar with the "new" bigger capacity battery but relating to range?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your replies dk. I think it must be because I have been sat in the car, with the electric engine on, for periods of time trying to get everything understood and set up. The GOM registers 0 miles for some electric use. I've got most set up, but still a few things to go!!

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Thanks for your replies dk. I think it must be because I have been sat in the car, with the electric engine on, for periods of time trying to get everything understood and set up. The GOM registers 0 miles for some electric use. I've got most set up, but still a few things to go!!
That shouldn't use much energy unless you have had the heater on, in which case ........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The worst time, I was sitting in the car trying to get set up, then went for a one mile drive. According to WeConnectGo I did 1 mile in 1hr 18mins at 1.1mi/kwh!!! Other times it's been 2.3 to 2.6 mi/kwh. I think I need to stop sitting in the car with the engine on!!

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I did 1 mile in 1hr 18mins at 1.1mi/kwh!!!
Sounds like central London traffic before the Virus! ;)

At least you have found some room for improvement in your range when you are actually allowed to use it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
On my "69" ex Press Office Passat Va for which current intended usage has not gone to plan it still hovers around 26 - 27 if of any consolation to you, although probably a better reflection of range available compared to previous Golf GTE. Whilst it was probably charged a few times at Milton Keynes prior to photo shoots, neither charging cables had been used although they could have been replaced of course. Consequently expecting things to improve once the warmer weather arrives and regular charging cycle imposed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback aspergerguy, I went out today, 15 miles, then charged it back up - this time to 30 miles fully charged on the GOM. Getting better!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The actual range has a lot to do with drying style also. It took my new Passat GTE Advance a few weeks and maybe 20 charges to reach where it is now. Done 4000 miles since November.

Last week when driving eco slow, no heating, less than half throttle and 55mph behind trucks on motorway, the next day I saw 36 miles of range on GOM.

But the day after, I was driving around enthusiastically in EV mode, and following day after full charge the GOM showed 29 miles with heating on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: All good. Have done a total of 377 miles now and today I have 37 miles of electric range on the GOM. Just driving in normal mode.

37GOM.jpg

Finally getting all the problems sorted. :)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
GOM is vanity, actual electric miles achieved is sanity! ;)

What are you getting out of a full battery as a matter of interest?

A Mk2 VW Passat was one of my favourite cars of all time, I was very tempted by a Passat GTE as a replacement for my Golf GTE, very useful car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GOM is vanity, actual electric miles achieved is sanity! ;)

What are you getting out of a full battery as a matter of interest?

A Mk2 VW Passat was one of my favourite cars of all time, I was very tempted by a Passat GTE as a replacement for my Golf GTE, very useful car.

I haven't tested out a full battery yet, but I look forward to it one day soon.
This is my second Passat GTE. This one is the Advance with quite a few extras - really nice car!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts