Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
The second year sounds very interesting when they start with different cars..... But of course they then risk the F1 effect of someone being Mercedes streets ahead & making the racing uninteresting.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
The racing this year is hardly uninteresting, with fantastic battles up and down the grid each race as well as at the front!

I agree, once they've got the gremlins out in this first year, the second year will be the acid test...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hmmmm. F1 is pretty much the only racing series that does not handicap cars which win in order to ensure close racing. Many do this by using the same cars, so it's no longer about the car. F1 is technically fascinating & open to someone finding a wrinkle that no-one else has that allows them to pull away [double diffusers/ separating the two turbo components....]. So if formula E adopts this strategy it also takes on the risk of single team domination. In order to be meaningful it should do it, but it's potentially going to lead to domination by a well funded team & everyone else pulls out because they cannot win.
The really interesting part of F1 is why are Red Bull, Ferrari & most especially Mclaren doing so badly with so much money to hand? Riccardo only wins when Mercedes mess up or have reliability issues, and I think everyone else has given up & is developing next years car. F1 is a lot more resilient than Formula E, but I do really hope I'm wrong and we get an interesting engineering innovation [as opposed to optimisation] based series. The only series I know which allowed this was Can-Am & they had some amazing cars. None of them won, but they were amazing.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The two-car situation still feels odd. It's almost like they've chosen the wrong format for electric racing (size/weight/shape)... but I really hope I'm proved spectacularly wrong.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
Are we not missing the point that if one team pulls away from the others it is because they have a better design. All right that makes the sport less of a spectical, but that better design will end up one day on our road cars.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The two-car situation still feels odd. It's almost like they've chosen the wrong format for electric racing (size/weight/shape)... but I really hope I'm proved spectacularly wrong.
I'd hold fire on the two car race format. I think that is still 'to be decided'.... Seems a lot of people have found it quite gimmicky and two shorter races may be the final outcome.
Let's see what they decide!

Reactions: Paj and Paul

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
@AndyG: totally agree, don't shoot the leaders for having done a better job!

Yes, let's wait and see on Formula E - they need all the support they can get so please no nay-sayers quite yet. Let's give them chance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts