Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If only the Leaf has "sail mode" too. When I first got my Leaf I said it should have a mode that maximises range and that is Sail Mode.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It seems weird but that is precisely what it is except that to actually shift to neutral might be illegal as technically speaking you are no longer considered to be in full control when in neutral in any car. It is better to just have a mode that allows you to stay in gear but where there is no regen on lifting the throttle... sail mode.

This kind of mode is ideally suited to EVs as it means you use the least power to go from A to B. Regen is better than not having it but not as good as a sail mode would be at conserving power.

This is not anything new! I remember driving a SAAB in the 70's that had a free-wheeling clutch. It engaged when driving the car but disengaged the drive when the car coasted... a bit like a normal push bike when you stop pedalling. It worked very well. I am completely gobsmacked that EVs don't have this as standard as energy conservation is paramount to getting max range.

I am hoping that the VX1 "sail mode" will find its way onto future EVs.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it will come down to what's more efficient, coasting or regen? For MK for example I think regen would win (lots of stop/start over 3/4 mile or so "sprints") but in other cases coasting/sail mode would probably win out, like when you're wanting to carry more momentum between brief "lift off" moments.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well coasting is ALWAYS more efficient and that really is the point. Regen is only good if you cannot coast to a stop. Now obviously you can hardly ever coast to a complete stop safely anywhere and the MK "start - stop" environment would make that even more difficult and I accept that. However, in all cases, where you can coast then coasting is more efficient and will extend your range and that is still true in MK as it is everywhere else.

The only think is that you might have less opportunity to coast in MK but that does not make coasting any less desirable... just less easy to do.

If you had a car without a "sail mode" and one with and put them side by side in any environment, MK included, then providing they are driven by drivers than can use them to the best advantage then they should use exactly the same energy to get from A to B. The only thing is that with the car that has sail mode it might be easier and less stressful to achieve because if you don't have sail mode then you have to feather the "go" pedal to find the coasting spot and that can be hard work to do that constantly.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Some guys in the States did some analysis of this and found the difference immeasurable. I'll have a root around for it.

(As a rule of thumb, if you can think of an EV question of this nature, the US got there first...)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Silent revolution"... think we can assimilate that?! :D

8 year, 100,000 miles warranty on the battery is good, and I'm glad that was highlighted too.

One issue I have with the i3 (and most cars for that matter) is the spread of the various production facilities, and the shipping of said components to make the car. It's a shame they cannot be more localised to cut down on production emissions. No matter how clean the production is, if you have to ship parts all over the globe to put it together then it does, to a degree, undermine that.

Also, does that video enforce what I've said elsewhere about how good BMW are with their media (and overall) management? Education is a big part of EVs, and they're clearly doing that, in a fun and easy to grasp way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts