Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to find a mini fuse in the fuse box behind the glovebox to piggyback my dash-cam to.

I found another post on here were the cam was to stay on after the car was parked. I’m wanting a mini fuse that goes dead after the car is locked (or a few minutes later).

Referring to the ‘blue’ fuses in the diagram on page 285 of the driver manual (the only ones with descriptions) I’ve tried:
F7 - air-con
F8 - Lights, rain/light sensor
F10 - Infotainment control panel
F16 - telephone

The obvious choice is the cigarette lighter fuse but this is the larger ATO fuse.

Before I order an ATO piggyback cable.
Is there a mini-fuse that goes dead after the car is left?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sounds like a job for a 12v smart Wi-Fi switch. Once setup on a count down timer the WiFi would no longer be required. This would need to be on a permanent live feed. Worth checking out current draw to see if viable? Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestion Scrooge but all I want is a mini fuse to take a power feed from while the car is unlocked, ingnition on etc. As long as it’s on whilst driving and off when the car isn’t in use.
I don’t think it needs the addition of a smart switch into the mix.

I’ve since tried fuses F5 and F6 (no labels in manual) and the cam is still recording more than 15 minutes after locking the car.o_O

what fuses have other owners used? Mini or standard sizes?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Ah right, I just piggy-backed onto the fuse for 12v accessory socket on my car for the dashcam.

Reactions: M777KES

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
This any good @M777KES KES .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Carty (y)
I’ve concluded I need to set a standard ATO fuse piggyback for the cigarette lighter fuse.

when it arrives I’ll report back if it was successful as well as post some pics of cable routing:geek:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thanks Carty (y)
I’ve concluded I need to set a standard ATO fuse piggyback for the cigarette lighter fuse.

when it arrives I’ll report back if it was successful as well as post some pics of cable routing:geek:
Your very welcome !.
Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Standard size ATO piggyback fuse in the Cigarette Lighter (F40) position did the job.

To route the cable up to the screen, I removed the side panel from the dash (holding the air-bag switch) using a plastic panel-tool - looks like a mini-crowbar. I temporarily disconnected the switch so the panel wasn’t dangling by the wire. Plug and socket circled yellow in photo.

I then pulled out the top of the thin panel between the dash and the door seal. I accidentally snapped the clip but the adjacent panels hold it in when everything is replaced. See orange arrow on photo.
I ran the cable between the door seal and the panels then between the join near the roof lining towards the windscreen. At the screen I pushed the cable behind the roof lining with a plastic panel-tool.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts