Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you prefer conductive or inductive charging for you EV?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all EV owners,

Me and a group of fellow MSc students at WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management are working on a live case for the Röchling Group where we are asked to determine the future of EV charging (in Europe).

That is; will the future be conductive charging (connect a power cord to your EV) or will the users of tomorrow charge their EV's using an inductive system (wireless power transfer)?
With regard to this, we are looking for the thoughts of people that already own EV's today because you ultimately know best what you would prefer to have for yourself.

I would be very thankful if you would take the time and share some comments on the following:
- Do you experience any difficulties/troubles with your conductive charging system today? If so, what?
- What are your main concerns about wireless charging (if any)?
- Would you choose wireless charging, even if it charged a little bit slower than with a cable?
- Do you sometimes forget to plug in the cable to your EV? Has this caused you to run out of battery?
- To what extent would you be willing to pay a little extra for a wireless charging system?

If you have any other thoughts on this matter, please share. We are in the information gathering phase so any input is very much appreciated.

Best,

Nicholas A. Schulz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Jimbo That might be true.
However, if Tesla offered you to charge your Tesla Model S wirelessly instead of using a cord today, what would you choose? Inductive charging is demonstrated to have approximately the same efficiency as conductive charging.
Do you see any value in going wireless?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Touche Jimbo :)

To answer the question I would be delighted to have inductive charging as it would save the hassle of getting out, retrieving the cable, uncoiling it, making sure the charger was working, checking which end this charger type wants plugging in first, opening the charge port, plugging the cable in, waiting for it to synchronise and finally leaving the car.

Pulling up, hearing a synchronisation beep as I put the handbrake on and turn the car off, then walking away would be lovely.

However, my experience with inductive charging is that to make it work we would all have to become ace parkers (and people in the bays next door would have to do the same). Unless you are aligned perfectly it fails to work efficiently - and shuffling back and forwards would both waste energy and be even more hassle.

Oh, and please no inductive paddles like the EV-1 - that is the worst of both worlds!

Answering the bullets for completeness :

Do you experience any difficulties/troubles with your conductive charging system today? If so, what?

Wet cables, high friction connections which require a good shove to connect, overly fiddly connectors, obtuse charging stations with multiple buttons to press, levers to push etc.

- What are your main concerns about wireless charging (if any)?

It's not efficient and is even more of a problem is someone parks on the space - at least you can pull a cable round an obstruction. You can also share a cable between spaces.

- Would you choose wireless charging, even if it charged a little bit slower than with a cable?

Probably, but it would need to be within 10% for rapid chargers (and no faffing with complicated RFID tags, charging routines etc. - I would want to pull up and start charging straight away, as that recoups the time loss)

- Do you sometimes forget to plug in the cable to your EV? Has this caused you to run out of battery?

No of course not, I'm getting old but I am not yet senile :)

- To what extent would you be willing to pay a little extra for a wireless charging system?

Difficult to say as that decision depends on the available infrastructure. If there are 1000 CHAdeMO stations and only 10 inductive ones - I'll skip it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would much prefer inductive charging. cables bring a level of faffing that I would rather not have: cold/wet/dirty/raining/plugging/unplugging/coiling/uncoiling... I would *love* to just pull up and dash off!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wireless charging has got to be the future. This is especially true when considering the new Witricity (and other) technologies which mean we don't have to be positioned and aligned in an exact spot. A couple of links for those interested:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/426846/charge-your-phone-and-your-car-from-afar/
http://www.androidauthority.com/wattup-wireless-charging-512966/

Combined with bluetooth or similar to perform handshake/protocol exchange, it could absolutely revolutionise how we charge our cars, phones, tablets or any other mobile device. For the convenience of not messing around in the rain coiling a dirty cable and hastily shoving it in the boot (while clattering the Type 2 plug against the rear paintwork), it would make all the difference.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
@Nicholas A. Schulz I seriously doubt we'll be able to 'afford' the efficiency losses inherent in wireless charging... in the future we need more efficient appliances not less, although given the average car driver doesn't give a damn about the environment we could see wireless everywhere :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Bombardier have a 200kw wireless system, but I haven't been able to find any efficiency data on it.

Seems that the most efficient systems, where there is data, run at 90% under ideal conditions, with typical efficiency below 60%. Quite a hit for convenience, and definitely not similar to a wire.

I imagine it gets quite hot, too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We aren't seeing too many places jumping at the chance to install relatively simple and in some cases affordable inductive charging today.

Try telling businesses that the cost's have doubled just so an EV driver (who may already be getting free electric) can save 30 seconds being out in the cold.

They would still need to provide both for those that can not charge wireless.

For me it is too many technological developments too often in a market that is barely even off the ground and for most wouldn't be a need to have, just a nice to have.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Very old post, but absolutely a vital question in 2020. I’m about to receive an e-golf in the coming weeks and the Witricity car charging pads are 100% what im looking for. Unfortunately they don’t have a product someone can buy, although I did hear of a trial in london, and the VW range isn’t compatible - Nissan have a nose in the wireless world.

I would immediately buy a pad for my drive. Cabled charging is an eyesore and clutter, and while the ability to charge at home is miles better than fossil fuel for cost and environment, a driveway pad is the future for me.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,521 Posts
It's all a load of scaremongering BS I know, but given all the panic we've had over the years about "OMG overhead power cables near my house", "OMG microwaves", "OMG mobile phone masts" and now "OMG 5G" (sometimes with symptoms, as people who obsess over these things subconsciously convince their own brains to produce symptoms of "dizziness" etc, sort of a negative version of the Placebo Effect) I'd love to see the reaction to several kW of power being "pushed wirelessly into the air" :D (yes I know that's not really how WPT works, but still. Tabloids in 2030: OMG 22kW magnetic field!)

Would definitely prefer wireless if the efficiency was there. I guess with all the intelligent parking etc built into cars now you could easily have like a computerised docking system (to borrow a term from Elite) that aligns the pads just so.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wireless charging sounds like a nice idea, but the higher costs and lower efficiency mean it's likely to only be worthwhile in niche areas where the wireless-ness convenience is worth more than the additional costs.
The poll should be more like " how much extra would you be prepared to pay for wireless charging, in terms of initial installation cost and increased running costs"

·
Registered
276 Posts
How much would you be prepared to pay for it ?
id pay the same as I just paid for podpoint for sure, and a bit perhaps more. I got the install grant so it was a lot cheaper than the original £1k, but on the other hand I wouldn’t buy an EV without the twin grants on offer for vehicle and charger. I’d be even more inclined to buy a vehicle which came with a charge pad, I think Peugeot were offering the free charger but I didn’t like the car as much.

i do have to say, I saw the witricity video doing the rounds yesterday and they have matched the efficiency level and solved the inaccurate parking issue, at least according to them. the issues of 2014 at the top of this thread have been solved it would seem

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's all a load of scaremongering BS I know, but given all the panic we've had over the years about "OMG overhead power cables near my house", "OMG microwaves", "OMG mobile phone masts" and now "OMG 5G" (sometimes with symptoms, as people who obsess over these things subconsciously convince their own brains to produce symptoms of "dizziness" etc, sort of a negative version of the Placebo Effect) I'd love to see the reaction to several kW of power being "pushed wirelessly into the air" :D (yes I know that's not really how WPT works, but still. Tabloids in 2030: OMG 22kW magnetic field!)

Would definitely prefer wireless if the efficiency was there. I guess with all the intelligent parking etc built into cars now you could easily have like a computerised docking system (to borrow a term from Elite) that aligns the pads just so.
when we last looked at buying a house in 2016 I stupidly said out loud ”look there’s a substation in the garden” and we had a huge fight about brain cancer. My point was, she’s basically arguing about evil fairies in the garden but I learned that day the imagination is very powerful, enough to have a real world effect.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Having the ability to drive in, have some kind of alert that the car was properly placed over the pad, get out of the car, lock it and go home without having to get to the trouble of plugging the car on arrival and unplug when leaving would be the ideal for any EV driver.
I would pay an extra fiver for it :p
On a serious note, the wall controller shouldn't cost more than £500 and the pad would sit around £250
Considering the amount of work required to install the whole thing I estimate this to be not more than £250 (and this is being generous). Most work would be groundworks for the pad and installing the wiring from the switchboard. maybe £150 for replacing existing units with wireless charging.

A figure between £1k and £900 would be a reasonable value.
The problem is that at the moment, installers are fattening with the OLEV grants and because general public have no idea what this kind of works should cost.

Disclaimer: As a construction estimator I'm sure I know how to calculate these types of work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is the video, it’s about autonomous driving but i think that’s a long way off. The key points are the technicals

1 - 20 of 29 Posts