Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Future of the 38kwh Ioniq

7K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Cantonalegod 
#1 ·
With the 5 about to hit the showrooms, I wonder what the future holds for the current model? I popped into a showroom the other day and the Ioniq was nowhere to be see.

Have run one for the last 18 months, I would say it is massively underrated, but just not fashionable compared to new models coming out. Would I get another? Probably not, as I don't think it will age well compared to the competition.

#2 ·

This shows the production this year, no Ioniq for the home market, virtually no Kona, and now Ioniq 5 is 3,667 in June.
Export, HEV Ioniq at 2,500, BEV fallen from 1,200 to 800 per month, Kona EV 2,800 to 1,000, and Ioniq 5 in June at 4,455.

They made 10,990 EV, only 7.7% of their cars, need to change that quickly.

#3 ·
We're currently leasing a 38kWh Ioniq and it's an amazing EV. My only real complaint is that the rapid charging speed is too slow.

If they could make it charge faster and ideally squeeze in another couple of kWh of battery capacity I would definitely buy another.

The Ioniq 5 looks like a great car but it's massive and by all accounts not that efficient. I want a smaller car that can still travel long distances and doesn't require 150kW charging to travel fast. I hope they continue to make something similar to the current Ioniq even if that gets retired.

#4 ·
The public buy SUVs in preference to conventional cars (viz ID.4 rather than ID.3 sales) so manufacturers respond to demand. Why produce a car for a small market segment when you can sell all of the cars that you can produce in another?

#8 ·
They do, however I can’t help but feel this demand is partly artificially created by the manufacturers not producing anything else.

Such limited choice in the Ioniq segment - Id3, Tesla Model 3 (at a real push), Leaf (ancient), Polestar 2 (again, at a push), err, that’s it really. Where is the Focus, 308, a-class, A3, ….

#14 ·
I quite like the iD.3, but for love nor money I cannot make any sense of how to understand the crazy number of variants and options available.

To start with, why does a £30k car not have alloy wheels as standard? Stupidly expensive comes back to mind...
The plastic wheel trims on steel wheels you still might be able to get away with on sub £15K Dacia, but not a £30K VW family car.

The paying for all the options thing is a tried and tested German automotive thing, they've been doing it for years. [emoji853]

It works if you want a low spec car though, my wife would happily by a car with wind up windows, no carpets, zero gadgets and steel wheels if the price was right.

#5 ·
I think the Ioniq is hugely underrated. It’s more efficient than almost anything else, good value and a really sensible size. Not fashionable as you say, but likely to be sought after by professional drivers for many years to come. I hope they don’t stop production before they’ve got something similar to replace it with.

#6 ·
It will soldier on in low numbers for a year or two and then be quietly put to pasture.

I love everything about my 38 except its performance and charge rates which are lacklustre compared to my old 24KWh Leaf let alone other new models.

The iriginal Ioniq was as backward looking as it was forward looking with its hybrid, plug-in and pure EV design, its tight packaging meant that they couldn't get the larger higher voltage packs into it, which is why it lacks the superior performance and charging speeds of other cars (including its stablemates).

I dont blame them for concentrating on a higher margin car for their next step, it makes a lot of sense to do that while worldwide battery production is still in the process of ramping up, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had an Ioniq 3 on the drawing board with aspirations to take on the likes of 3 series along with sales from refugees from other marques that no longer make saloon like cars.

If the super efficient og Ioniq made those of us who appreciate efficiency reconsider Hyundai, and a large luxury SUV has gone on to make a huge chunk of the market and motoring press wake up and take notice of them, I fully expect another huge chunk of the market, the man down the pub and the racier side of the motoring press would love to get their hands on an Electric N badged hatchback/saloon/estate car.

I doubt however that anysuch car would be announced anytime soon and certainly not before my lease is up next year!

I want something with more performance next, but sadly, I suspect the dual motor Ioniq5 will be out of reach for me.

#7 ·
It will be a massive shame if it doesn't continue.

The Ioniq 5 is basically just following the standard electric SUV trend of being stupidly big and beyond stupidly expensive - all manufacturers are doing are rinsing people with more money than sense for everything they're worth at the moment. If the press is right and the Ioniq 5 is £50k plus, it is an absolute joke.

This trend for utterly stupid, ridiculously enormous cars (usually with pitifully tiny interiors for their bulk) has to end some day. There will always be a market for people who are sensible enough to realise that an electric SUV is a joke.

#9 ·
Highly unlikely there'll be another true Ioniq car, as in a Prius style high efficiency, value car.

The Ioniq name is being repurposed as a more premium style sub brand to catch the Tesla high tech/premium electric wave. It's over basically. The Ioniq was originally a Prius competitor with the full BEV option coming later in its life. I can't see Hyundai doing the same thing again given what they want out of the Ioniq brand now.

#20 ·
According to Hyundai Sheffield (StoneAcre) The 38kwh Ioniq has 2 months left, before it is in his terms "unplugged" and if I wanted to order one to be quick... Then only one they had was the Sales Managers car, and that was full of his own stuff, so could only peer inside it..

#24 ·
It's a shame if it isnt replaced with anything of similar size. The only gripe I have with mine is the small boot. I love everything else about it. The joke is that all these other SUVs have small boots too (the Kona is smaller than the ioniq!)
I may have to consider the MG5 next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.