Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice the manufacturer discount has been removed from the ZS EV.

Does anyone else see it being reinstated as soon as they realise the public’s attitude towards Chinese cars may have shifted recently (wrongly of course), and need to shift some units? ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think we all get that most consumer goods are chinese, but I don't expect Apple to drop iphone prices as it's made & shipped from China. What might be an issue is at full price, it's not really that much more to to buy a brand you recognise/have owned prior, therefore some may shy away from taking a chance on a relative newcomer, assuming they're prepared to wait for it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think MG will continue to offer a discount of some sort only it will be disguised, or in a less favourable financial form like free metallic paint, free home charger, free type 2 cable, free accessory packs, free membership of polar-plus or free spare wheel...

The monetary value of these things can look quite high to the buyer, but much cheaper for MG. For example, the metallic paint option costs many hundreds as a priced up option, but the cost to MG is probably barely a quarter?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed @northernlights, but I’ve seen a fair few comments on MG’s social media where folk are more balking at the prospect of buying from a Chinese brand than a product from western brand that is made in China. There is a perceived difference between the two - see the current distrust of Xiaomi and Huawei for example.

And yes, folk on Facebook comments are not necessarily the “usual” EV market, but if MG want to shift a load of these cars to the average joe, it’s something they’ll have to address.

Perhaps free metallic paint and charging will suffice though - after all, it’s worked for every other manufacturer thus far 😁

Of course, eventually the product will speak for itself. In the same way folk initially doubted the quality of Korean cars, I’m sure Chinese auto manufacturers will become world renowned in time.

The whole attitude is irrational anyway - isn’t Volvo made by Geely these days? 😂

Reactions: Paul M

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,910 Posts
Agreed @northernlights, but I’ve seen a fair few comments on MG’s social media where folk are more balking at the prospect of buying from a Chinese brand than a product from western brand that is made in China. There is a perceived difference between the two - see the current distrust of Xiaomi and Huawei for example.

And yes, folk on Facebook comments are not necessarily the “usual” EV market, but if MG want to shift a load of these cars to the average joe, it’s something they’ll have to address.

Perhaps free metallic paint and charging will suffice though - after all, it’s worked for every other manufacturer thus far 😁

Of course, eventually the product will speak for itself. In the same way folk initially doubted the quality of Korean cars, I’m sure Chinese auto manufacturers will become world renowned in time.

The whole attitude is irrational anyway - isn’t Volvo made by Geely these days? 😂
Volvo's owned by Geely. Still made in Sweden as far as I know.

In the other hand all the Honda Jazzes we got here from the beginning were made in China. Brilliant car. No-one noticed.

Branding in amazing!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I notice the manufacturer discount has been removed from the ZS EV.
That's odd as just a few minutes ago I saw an MG ad on this site, in the right hand column, promising £2500 deposit contribution.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that all MG need to do is fix the software issues with the ZS EV, then it'll simply sell itself... just let market forces do their thing. Right now, it needs the significant price advantage to overcome it's software shortcomings (a fact I'm not unhappy with, as I got a cheap car :) ) but it'll stand on it's own beside the strong new contenders arriving this year if the software was fixed. Right now, with the software in the state it is (bongs, lags, no temp reading, no app, etc etc) I fear it'll fare badly against the new crop of EV contenders arriving in 2020...

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's odd as just a few minutes ago I saw an MG ad on this site, in the right hand column, promising £2500 deposit contribution.
The price on the site now is £25k/£27k. Is that not the list price?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Do people actually think the MG is overpriced? The Excite is £1k cheaper than the starting price of the base Zoe ZE50 (MG comes with more tech but yes less range). I think what we will see is a bit more movement in negotiation in price because we know the MG can be sold £1-2k cheaper. Meaning the MG will remain one of the cheapest and biggest EVs at the price on the market.

Reactions: TiJayFLY

·
Registered
146 Posts
Outside of the EV world, very few cars are sold at list price. Always some combination of dealer incentives, finance support (deposit contributions, 0% etc), “scrappage” type schemes for trade-ins and the like that they can use. Keeps the list price high so people feel like they’re getting a bargain but they can adjust to match supply and demand.
The initial offer did it’s job - all the reviews mention it and it was rated as good value at around the intro price.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Sandy All EVs are overpriced - the appeal of the MG was that it was the same price as an ICE, and that is what drives EV adoption amongst the public.

Now it’s just another nearly-30k EV, and there are better (albeit smaller) products for similar prices, especially when you get into the approved used market.

Reactions: WithEthyl

·
Registered
386 Posts
Advert on my Facebook feed from Longbridge MG offering £2500 deposit contribution or up to £3500 scrappage today.....Call for details so I don’t know the caveat list.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Now it’s just another nearly-30k EV, and there are better (albeit smaller) products for similar prices, especially when you get into the approved used market.
Please show me 1 SUV EV that is similar money £25,495 (and that's MG ticket price for an Excite) and offers better?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Sandy Not an EV (I said there were no comparable sized cars) but the Leaf and Zoe are “better quality”. MG Pilot is a big plus, but not everyone likes that kind of thing anyway. The MG ZS ICE will be the biggest competitor now of the EV

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
@Sandy Not an EV (I said there were no comparable sized cars) but the Leaf and Zoe are “better quality”. MG Pilot is a big plus, but not everyone likes that kind of thing anyway. The MG ZS ICE will be the biggest competitor now of the EV
Goal post creep.

Can you elaborate how for example the Zoe is a "better quality" product. Having just sold my Zoe and moving to the MG I'd be interested in how you come to the conclusion?

Reactions: Neilew and TiJayFLY

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess this is where it gets subjective. Interior is much nicer in the ZE50, build quality seems overall higher, infotainment is a multitude less terrible. IMO, having driven the ZS for half a day and sat in the ZE50 a fair few times.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
But as we highlighted earlier the ZE50 is £1k more expensive. And yes better quality based on dash alone isn't much of a justification.

Lets talk about boot finish quality. The MG comes with a larger and fully finished boot with an adjustable floor level. The Zoe comes with a smaller boot which as per MK1 version is only partially finished. Does the base spec model come with adjustable boot floor? Does the Zoe come with Curtain airbags? Does it have a glove box big enough to take a pair of gloves (MK1 could take 1 with easy but 2 was a squeeze). Does the Zoe come with a central arm rest?

I guess the proof of quality will come with time. My 2014 Zoe still had decent fit and finish, no untoward squeaks or rattles (had a couple when new that I sourced and fixed) and all switchgear worked like new, MG feels better built than my Zoe so it will be interesting to see how it lasts.

Reactions: Neilew and TiJayFLY

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
This may suit a lot of folks with an older type car ?.
Following the trend of other manufacturers a few years ago.
Not as attractive as the launch offer I guess.
I wonder what the wait list time is now sitting at on a factory order, given the current situation in China ?.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Lets talk about boot finish quality.
MG has a better ride. Zoe ride is as hard as concrete. MG has better seats. In Zoe every time you go round a corner you slide across the seat (SWMBO used to cling to the door strap). MG's drivers seat can be adjusted for height. I now no longer need 2 cushions to be able to see through the windscreen and the C pillars no long hide half the view.

I'm glad I part exchanged for the MG. (Just wish I could actually go somewhere in it!)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts