Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the future of super capacitors?
Activated carbon (coconut shell based) and super capacitors relation - future?

All are welcome to share your knowledge.....

·
Registered
Jaguar i-Pace 21MY
1,792 Posts
Reactions: Randy boy

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,335 Posts
There could well be a breakthrough in EV batteries in a few years. For example. a Li-ion battery supplemented by a 10kwh supercap which is charged during regen braking could give a short power boost by switching on at over 3/4 throttle to maintain the main battery SOC and range.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
262 Posts
I’ve often wondered if super capacitors could be used between the battery and the charger to rapidly decrease charge times but they like to charge fast and dump fast which is a bit of a problem...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I’ve often wondered if super capacitors could be used between the battery and the charger to rapidly decrease charge times but they like to charge fast and dump fast which is a bit of a problem...
Yes, the article that @burnt_crisps2 linked above was like a few I've read over the past year or two. The short answer to the OP's question is "it depends" because of those characteristics. Still, I like the idea of a wee supercap boost to help me out-accelerate the Tesla fanbois in my next-gen Zoe lol.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,335 Posts
Yes, the article that @burnt_crisps2 linked above was like a few I've read over the past year or two. The short answer to the OP's question is "it depends" because of those characteristics. Still, I like the idea of a wee supercap boost to help me out-accelerate the Tesla fanbois in my next-gen Zoe lol.
Yes, me too. I do like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
262 Posts
I still love doing this to ‘rude bois’ the E-Niro in sport mode. Nothing quite brings a smile to my face like listening to their car revving high and rapid gear shifts as I silently but rapidly put distance between me and them. Then I knock it back to eco mode and drive like miss daisy 😂

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know EVs are getting artificial noises to help pedestrians but I think a clip clop sound would be a step too far

·
Registered
978 Posts
Batts + Cap was already done in the Bollero cars that you could hire in Paris.. They were more efficient because they capture near 100% regen and protect the batt against extremes of in/out power and therefore can use small batt which will last longer. Just dont know why the EV world did not take it up, perhaps and idea before its time.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
When is a mainstream EV manufacturer going to make a stunning looking EV?
I've seen stunning looking cars over the years, but not being a multi-millionaire with a stable of cars none of them is one I'd consider owning and using for (eg) going to Tesco's.

And what does looks have to do with the powertrain anyway?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,335 Posts
I think the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6 are both good looking cars.
I'd add the Stinger to that list.
I believe Hyundai/Kia employ a British stylist and they have great EV powertrains.
Nissan desperately need to head hunt him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts