Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Before I finally taking the plunge and buying a used Leaf 24, how concerned should I be about the possibility of Chademo not being available at pumps in future? I see people suggesting that CCS is taking over, which would rule out being able to use these cars for longer journeys.

Being a complete novice to all this, do Ecotricity/etc pumps also have level 2 charging connectors? If so, how long would it take to charge to say 80% if your Leaf was equipped with the 6.6kW charger?

·
Registered
861 Posts
It'll be many years before Chademo is phased out, it's just that the future is CCS.
A LEAF 24 takes around 2 hours to charge from 20 to 80% at the rare 6.6 kW charger, and 4 hours at the more common 3.6. In comparison it takes 40 minutes by Chademo.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi,

Before I finally taking the plunge and buying a used Leaf 24, how concerned should I be about the possibility of Chademo not being available at pumps in future? I see people suggesting that CCS is taking over, which would rule out being able to use these cars for longer journeys.

Being a complete novice to all this, do Ecotricity/etc pumps also have level 2 charging connectors? If so, how long would it take to charge to say 80% if your Leaf was equipped with the 6.6kW charger?
Yeah as @srichards says providers are still installing new CHADeMo chargers at the moment, so personally I'm not that worried.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As many people compare competing technologies back to the Betamax/VHS days, let's not forget Betamax machines and tapes were around for many years until the late 80's and early 90's! Many video shops carried shelves of hundreds of both types. Increasing numbers of manufacturers produced VHS only machines. History has fond recollection that Betamax was superior video quality, but it had shorter recording times compared to long (4hour) recording times of VHS. I think Video2000 was better than both VHS/Betamax, but how many today would even remember that technology?

The eyes will be on the next car Nissan produce. If they don't adopt CCS that will be significant, but what if more networks go CCS only? Ignoring the secondhand market of existing stock; buyers of the next gen will not want to think they are buying the next 'Betamax'. Buying decisions can be influenced by perception of market trends (one reason the OP asked the question?). The biggest influencer could be the Rapid charging networks. If they go DC only, the next logical step is to go to a single connector. Ionity have already gone down this path as they have little reason to support chademo. Their cars are CCS only. Also the Tritium chargers are extremely good. Finally, would anyone use a leaf24, with an aging battery for longer journeys?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I have a feeling the real problem to arise next is with rising EV sales in general and whether you can charge without an EV or 2 ahead of you waiting.
I agree.. I encountered busy free Nissan, Genie point, Shell recharge, Polar and Podpoint raid in one single day. Also hung polar and CYC

That was bloody annoying day to be honest.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts