Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Quick shout out for something I've been working on - it's a little website to promote Electric Vehicles where I live, in Brighton & Hove.

It's called Electric Brighton.
A key feature for existing EV owners are micro-directions for each charging facility, with detailed photos of where each facility is located, and live status updates for availability (status updates are for all networks in one place so it does offer some unique functionality over the individual apps).
Anyway, if you're a resident or visitor to Brighton and wondering where to charge, the charge map can be quite handy.
I hope it's helpful to others :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Such a shame that it is just misinformation. Since CYC took over and 'upgraded' the chargers there is almost no charging now. Bartholomews has no power at all and Madeira drive is fenced off as at last night.
Bartholomews has never worked for my Zoe and reporting it to CYC along with the Ion driver I chatted to was a complete waste of time. This has been months now. How could the council palm off the charging to a company who then aren't interested? Please someone make CYC accountable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crikey, I think "misinformation" is a bit harsh (the site does say that bartholomews is offline). Unless you meant something else?

Hmm, I would have to say I've had a considerable difference in experience.

Since they took over I've found the charger upgrades to be generally good, and much better than what was there before. I've noticed that people are there slightly less time as they no longer need to stay as long to finish charging. I've had many charges at Bartholomews and Madeira drive over the past 6 months. I did find the ditching road chargers to be out of service a month or so ago, but they were repaired and back online within the week.

The recent bartholomews issues are still recent, only occurring within the last two weeks, I believe. Someone appears to be charging at the Madeira drive chargers presently so I am assuming that the fence has been taken down (there was disruption there for the marathon a few weeks ago too, a down side for that location).

I'm not saying your frustration isn't warranted and that everything is hunky dory, but since the CYC upgrades I wouldnt agree that "there is almost no charging now", as I've found the opposite to be true.

Best thing to do is to keep notifying CYC so they can send an engineer out.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks for this hard work @tomk. Have you told the council that you've done this as their website could benefit from the information?

I tried to use the point at Sussex University yesterday (not on your site). It appears to be alive and well but I couldn't get into the car park as it was for the Sussex Innovation Centre only. No great loss though as it's only a 13A socket on an old Electrobay post like the old ones in Brighton city centre.

Interestingly an i3 was parked in the car park but not bothered to plug in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for this hard work @tomk. Have you told the council that you've done this as their website could benefit from the information?

I tried to use the point at Sussex University yesterday (not on your site). It appears to be alive and well but I couldn't get into the car park as it was for the Sussex Innovation Centre only. No great loss though as it's only a 13A socket on an old Electrobay post like the old ones in Brighton city centre.

Interestingly an i3 was parked in the car park but not bothered to plug in.
Thank you for your kind words Gary - yes I will be notifying the council and MPs at some point too :) I'd like to get a link from the council site if nothing else!

Aha yes, I decided against adding the Innovation centre charge post as it's not publicly accessible due to the entry barrier. Elektromotive used to have their offices there, they've since moved to Shoreham and I had thought the charger was disabled although it's interesting to know that's not the case :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey,

Quick shout out for something I've been working on - it's a little website to promote Electric Vehicles where I live, in Brighton & Hove.

It's called Electric Brighton.
A key feature for existing EV owners are micro-directions for each charging facility, with detailed photos of where each facility is located, and live status updates for availability (status updates are for all networks in one place so it does offer some unique functionality over the individual apps).
Anyway, if you're a resident or visitor to Brighton and wondering where to charge, the charge map can be quite handy.
I hope it's helpful to others :)
Well done for the work Tom.
The site mentions that the Withdean Rapid is the fastest charging point in Brighton, HOWEVER it should also say that this may be among the most expensive charging points In the country. At £3.50 for 10 mins plus 25p per min, it equates to a horrendous cost of around 55p per kw. The owners are Freedom Leisure, who have told me, in effect, that they have no interest in the success of the site. They simply don't care whether anyone uses it or not, and will dismantle it if it isn't used. So this magnificent charging point sits there all day long doing nothing. Presumably they snaffled a large grant to construct the site and have since ignored it. A national disgrace in my view.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thought I'd bump my old thread to give a quick mention to a new campaign we're running.

It's called Hug the Plug - And the idea is to try and work out where all the latent demand is for EVs in the city. In short: Where are all the people who're sitting on the fence about getting an EV?
We're asking people to add themselves to our community map and we hope to use this information to help the council and others make decisions about where new charging infrastructure can have the biggest benefits for local residents. The larger goal here is to help address the problem of residential charging, how do we transition people with no off-street parking to EVs?

Anyway, if you live in Brighton or know anyone who does, who is thinking about getting an EV - any circulation of this is much appreciated.

Thanks all :)

Hug the Plug

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone any idea why the Trafalgar St car park charge pointshave been taped off?
Hey Martin, thanks for the reply.

I've not heard anything specific about these chargers recently. The status update says they're available and last connected online today - If you see this again I would question the car park attendant if there is one on site (unless I'm mistaken there is an office? it's been a while, maybe I'm wrong). There have been occasions in some car parks where EV spaces have been reserved in unusual means... This car park is a little notorious for ICE'ing.

I would ask though, when was this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
@tomk Just wanted to say thanks again for your advice on where to park on our boxing day trip. I was particularly impressed by Brighton's pragmatic approach to running a charge cable over the pavement. Hopefully some other local authorities will start to take note

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@tomk Just wanted to say thanks again for your advice on where to park on our boxing day trip. I was particularly impressed by Brighton's pragmatic approach to running a charge cable over the pavement. Hopefully some other local authorities will start to take note
No worries at all! Was nice to be able to help someone with local advice :)

In regards to charge cables over the pavement, for anyone interested, @Tartan_guru is referring to Brighton & Hove Council's published advice on this matter, which can be found here: How do people without off-street parking charge their cars? - Electric Brighton

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Martin, thanks for the reply.

I've not heard anything specific about these chargers recently. The status update says they're available and last connected online today - If you see this again I would question the car park attendant if there is one on site (unless I'm mistaken there is an office? it's been a while, maybe I'm wrong). There have been occasions in some car parks where EV spaces have been reserved in unusual means... This car park is a little notorious for ICE'ing.

I would ask though, when was this?
It was last week. They were back to normal today

1 - 20 of 24 Posts