Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I will be undertaking our first journey that is definitely outside the leafs range. We will be heading from Bedfordshire to Chester. A total of approximately 170 miles. We have rapid charged before but only while waiting for our home charger to be installed.

Our friends have kindly agreed to us plugging in their end for a "full tank" to get home, but we will still need to rapid charge at least once each way.

My question is, assuming I only use the ecotricity network (not that I have to) I can charge at Corley, but after Corley, it is a fair way to the next rapid charger. Do I gamble on Corley working, or do I charge twice in the trip? Once before Corley and then once after?

Whilst being mostly impressed with Ecotricity and their good work, I will probably also need to use other charging providers whilst up in Chester. Is there a local favourite like the Source London/East/West guys?

Also, is it just me, or is the M6 toll lacking chargers?

Cheers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From memory you have Frankly, Keele, Stafford and one on the m56 to the west.

M6 is a bit short yes but remember you have 50 nissan rapids too. Plus Ikea at Wednesbury and Warrington.

Dont plan on 1 stop cos you always need a contingency in case your targets are down

just check the electric highway map before you leave ... Also suggest a backup sat nav on your phone cos the Leaf can be shaky very occasionally and cost you mile you dont have.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I would take two. To 80% that way you have contingency and fairly quick charges.

Isn't Keele still down? I know Stafford is up as I use them daily.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a 665mile trip last week all on ecotricity's electric highway network. A good rule of thumb is 50-60miles between topups. That way you have contingency, only have to charge to 80% and thus don't have long to wait for a charge.
On route you have basically got Watford Gap-Corley-Ikea Wednesbury-Stafford-Chester Services
(Keele North Bound is down at the mo)
So depending on where you are in Bedfordshire I would actually do 3 charges.
Quick topup at Watford Gap, then Corley, then Stafford.
There isn't a great deal in Chester but there is always the rapid at Chester Services out on the M56
If this is your first long trip then don't be afraid of doing smaller hops as it won't increase your total journey time / charging time very much.
I also tend to stick to around 60mph, sit back and relax ;-)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did a 665mile trip last week all on ecotricity's electric highway network. A good rule of thumb is 50-60miles between topups. That way you have contingency, only have to charge to 80% and thus don't have long to wait for a charge.
On route you have basically got Watford Gap-Corley-Ikea Wednesbury-Stafford-Chester Services
There isn't a great deal in Chester but there is always the rapid at Chester Services out on the M56
If this is your first long trip then don't be afraid of doing smaller hops as it won't increase your total journey time / charging time very much.
I agree this is very good advice .... all of it.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
What the others said basically, though I would aim to do it in 2.

The Ikea at Wednesbury is as close to the motorway junction as a service station.

Your journey distance is an inbetweener for me....just too long to do on a one stop. Though if I had to would be confident of doing it this time of year. The Leaf motor is a little less efficent at motorway than at town speeds - the Zoe is opposite.

An alternative is to come to Telford on the M54 motorway then up the A roads from there. 150 miles in total fron Bedford, 67 from Ikea to this route - and it misses the section of the M6 here notorious for delays and accidents.

·
Super Moderator
11,716 Posts
Whilst being mostly impressed with Ecotricity and their good work, I will probably also need to use other charging providers whilst up in Chester. Is there a local favourite like the Source London/East/West guys?
There are Ecotricity Rapids at the somewhat inaccurately named Chester Services and Ikea Warrington.

There are a number of ZCW charge points in and around Chester. They don't need a card and most are free if you patronise the business.

There is a pod point at the M&S at Chesire Oaks. I've never used it, but we carry a pod point card just in case.

The Nissan dealer on Sealand Road has a charger. I vaugely recall hearing it was only 16Amps. Best to phone ahead of time.

Also, is it just me, or is the M6 toll lacking chargers?

Cheers.
M6 Toll is the English Autobahn. It is reserved for Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Aston Martin. Alfa Romeo considered on application.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
As has already been said, basically all of this. Similar tactic paid off hugely for me when a rapid was in use that I could have used, but had enough to pass by due to earlier "excess" rapid charging. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jot down the distances between the chargers in your route set the sat nav to the furthest one you know you can make then pull in at an earlier one to charge.
Scenario A: If broken/busy you know you can drive direct to the next one without wasting time looking for plan b.
Scenario B: if working ok, start charging then take the down time to set the sat nav to the next charger after the one you had programmed.
Then stop at the one you had previously programmed but drive to make sure you can make the distance the sat nav is telling.

Sounds more complicated than it is, basically keep the sav nav set to the charger after the next one so you can comfortably skip any broken ones and speed up or slow down to always have range to make the next rapid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts