Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,027 Posts
We should be getting our new ID.3 this week. Business spec.

Anyone taken GAP insurance from VW or elsewhere? If so, any recommendations? Thanks
Yes. Do NOT buy it from VW. They will charge about £750 and you can buy the same cover for £150ish.

I will leave the discussion of whether you need it at all to others.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
559 Posts
We're not getting GAP as our insurance has new for old for a brand new car for the first year, when it renews we'll go with Privilege Plus which covers for 2 years after that if it gets written off we'll just have to take it on the chin and replace it with a second hand model.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I used TotalLossGap as they provide a single policy that will give you finance GAP, RTI or vehicle replacement, whichever is highest. Also they have no claim limit.

For me they were the only ones offering 5-year vehicle replacement GAP on a used car, and happened to be the cheapest too at £250 for 5-years for my battery owned 41kWh Zoe.
For an extra £50/year on top of my already pretty low premium of £200 it seemed like something worth having. Not only does it cover the full depreciation, but it also takes the headache of negotiating a fair value for the car at the time of write-off, as the GAP company deal with it, not me. So many times I've read of valuations being so low that it can't even buy a similar second hand car to replace it with.

After next year my vehicle replacement will be the new 52kWh Zoe, so the policy could be worth thousands in the unlikely event of a total write off.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the biggest thing to be aware of with GAP insurance is that the car has to be a total write-off to be able to claim from it at all. That's what a lot of the salesmen tend to skim over when trying to sell the cover, along with the fear mongering that you could lose a fortune if you don't have it. If the car can be repaired in any way, you can't claim on it at all regardless of whether your regular insurer will pay up or not.

Obviously it's everyone's own decision to make but the chances of a brand new car being 100% written off are incredibly slim. A very small number of people are unfortunate to have serious accidents of course...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,027 Posts
I think the biggest thing to be aware of with GAP insurance is that the car has to be a total write-off to be able to claim from it at all. That's what a lot of the salesmen tend to skim over when trying to sell the cover, along with the fear mongering that you could lose a fortune if you don't have it. If the car can be repaired in any way, you can't claim on it at all regardless of whether your regular insurer will pay up or not.

Obviously it's everyone's own decision to make but the chances of a brand new car being 100% written off are incredibly slim. A very small number of people are unfortunate to have serious accidents of course...
That's why it's so cheap. Factor in the fact that most insurance policies cover me for old replacement for the first year and you can get the cover that you actually need for under £200.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Do NOT buy it from VW. They will charge about £750 and you can buy the same cover for £150ish.
What on earth were they offering for £750? I was quoted £450 for 3 years of cover on my GTE. That price covered cars with a list price up to £50k, so should cover an ID3... admittedly, £450 still isn't a great deal, but it's significantly less ridiculous than £750.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
It’s actually more common than people think, my old GTE was a case in point.

I was unfortunate enough to have a piece of wood that fell from a lorry spear through the windscreen, up the bonnet and the top of the dashboard in the process, before it hit the rear seat and exited through the rear side window.

Quote for repair was over £5k, not writing that off I thought, the cars worth loads more than that.

However, the insurance company will always do what is least costly for them. In my case, they might have had to pay me £22k to replace the car, but salvage value might have been £15k, so £7k in the hole.

That’s compared to paying out just over £5k for the repairs. A bit more damage on the GTE and they’d have gone down the write off route.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,027 Posts
It’s actually more common than people think, my old GTE was a case in point.

I was unfortunate enough to have a piece of wood that fell from a lorry spear through the windscreen, up the bonnet and the top of the dashboard in the process, before it hit the rear seat and exited through the rear side window.

Quote for repair was over £5k, not writing that off I thought, the cars worth loads more than that.

However, the insurance company will always do what is least costly for them. In my case, they might have had to pay me £22k to replace the car, but salvage value might have been £15k, so £7k in the hole.

That’s compared to paying out just over £5k for the repairs. A bit more damage on the GTE and they’d have gone down the write off route.
My god that was a near miss! You could easily have been written off, never mind the car!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
My god that was a near miss! You could easily have been written off, never mind the car!
Yes, I was very lucky! 😳

1 - 14 of 14 Posts