Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Thank you for accepting my request to join the forum. I own my own home and have my garage just over a rear single backstreet road(around 5 footsteps in width)..Would i still be able to get a charger unit fitted to the inside of my garage for an electric or hybrid car please..??...Kevo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you cah197 for your help.... Yes,I already do have power to the garage via an overhead cable from the house..But,I dont think this will suffice for the new charging units..Would i get away with upgrading this cable to my consumer unit with a poss upgrade on that also..??

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,605 Posts
Thank you cah197 for your help.... Yes,I already do have power to the garage via an overhead cable from the house..But,I dont think this will suffice for the new charging units..Would i get away with upgrading this cable to my consumer unit with a poss upgrade on that also..??
Well, if you have a cable already we can assume you have the rights for this.

Therefore it may just be a matter of upgrading the cable, which is most likely the case.

Is your question about eligibility for the grant, or just what you would need to install a charger?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you again Sir....My question really was...If i got a electric car would someone be able to fit me a charging system into the garage that`s on my own land becouse i was informed rightly or wrongly that it would`nt be allowed across the rear road where i already have a standard main`s cable to the place..All the garages do have mains across the said road but overhead the same as my system i already have...I dont want to go out and buy a modern electric or hybrid car that needs charging and i`m not allowed to do so and my current cable not be thick enough (Which it would`nt be being honest) but,Refused the option as people just put the electric to the garages from either the consumer unit or from the electric cooker pickup point...Thank you in advance ...Kev.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,837 Posts
If the power cable has to cross land you don’t own, that’s made possible either by a wayleave agreement or someone has just done it and nobody has complained.

I would tend towards not wanting to ask too many questions and simply employ an electrician to upgrade the cable as required and fit a charger. Do t bother with the grant, many of the larger installers wouldn’t do it anyway.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,744 Posts
As above, I suspect that the multiple stringing of power cables has been carried out over some years and without the proper legal procedures. It could be argued that over time without challenge they now have 'grandfather rights' to continue but, again, as others have said I wouldn't be inclined to rock the boat in case it went pear shaped and also inconvenienced your neighbours as some jobsworth insisted on them all being removed.

If you have a mini CU in the garage and the power is sufficient for a reliable 13 amps you could consider leaving well alone and just using the granny cable in there and charge slowly. Overnight, many people find that to be totally adequate. Especially if the car is a PHEV with a relatively small battery. Just get a sparky to check the garage circuit before doing that though.

Or, as has been said, just get a local sparky to upgrade the power into the garage and then perhaps instal a commando socket in there and use a unit like the OHME. With no need to stir up the muddy waters by involving the grant system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much guys for all your help in this matter..All you guys make sense..I will try getting one of the electricians to perhaps help in upgrading the external wire and a price to get a unit installed inside the garage itself.....Thank you sooo much for the help...I will keep you guys updated over the coming months on how i have got on.....Kevo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts