Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been offered this for £299 today.
husband has this on his Honda and doesn’t rate it, difficult to wash clean and seats are stained anyway. What’s the group opinion?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Complete waste of money. If you want proper protection then look for a local detailer that will do a very good job for probably less.

Like pretty much everything from a dealer, it's overpriced and poor value....

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can get Diamond Brite stage 1 and 2 on ebay for around £10. (same thing as Gard-X) Easy to apply. Wash car with a very hot soap solution. (don't use a wax and wash. Normal washing up liquid will suffice) Dry the car. Apply stage 1 in straight lines. Don't apply in circles. Allow it to go cloudy, then apply the stage 2 straight over the top. Again, using straight lines, and not circles. Let that go cloudy and then buff off with a microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having had Gard-X on all new cars I have purchased I am convinced it is a good investment, especially when selling the car and the dealer recognises Gard-X as adding value to the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Having had Gard-X on all new cars I have purchased I am convinced it is a good investment, especially when selling the car and the dealer recognises Gard-X as adding value to the vehicle.
If you've had it on all your cars, how do you know it added value, as you have no comparison?

In any case, the point isn't whether paint protection in general is good (I do it, but myself as I enjoy it as a hobby), the point is that a dealer is charging you an obscene amount of money and applying a sub standard product with absolutely no effort or care. They simply don't have the facilities, personnel or time to.

For £300, a detailer will fully clean the car inside and out, decontaminate the car from iron and tar, polish the car to remove any light defects and then meticulously apply a high quality product. This will involve many hours. A dealer will simple wash it like any other service and just wipe on a £10 bottle of something like Diamond Brite, which isn't even a particularly good product. Under those circumstances it will not be as effective as it should, and certainly won't last more than a few months.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’d avoid it too.

the problem is that the dealer won‘t spend any time prepping the paint surface before he applies the coating so all the swirl marks and factory paint flaws will be sealed under the coating.

a good local detailer will do a new car paint correction and then apply some ceramic or semi ceramic coating which will be much better and last longer than the stuff the dealer applies.

my current (ice) car was treated in this way. The detailer spent 6 hours polishing out all the factory flaws, then applied the coating. I thought it looked ok before he started but the difference was amazing. Think it cost me £350.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you've had it on all your cars, how do you know it added value, as you have no comparison?

In any case, the point isn't whether paint protection in general is good (I do it, but myself as I enjoy it as a hobby), the point is that a dealer is charging you an obscene amount of money and applying a sub standard product with absolutely no effort or care. They simply don't have the facilities, personnel or time to.

For £300, a detailer will fully clean the car inside and out, decontaminate the car from iron and tar, polish the car to remove any light defects and then meticulously apply a high quality product. This will involve many hours. A dealer will simple wash it like any other service and just wipe on a £10 bottle of something like Diamond Brite, which isn't even a particularly good product. Under those circumstances it will not be as effective as it should, and certainly won't last more than a few months.
Well as the dealer offered me extra because it had had been treated.
I went through the process involved and it is much more than a quick wash and polish. The top surface is removed before the protective coat is applied so given the amount of work the cost is reasonable in my opinion.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would steer clear of a dealer applied coating unless I was convinced of the quality of application.
As said earlier, a properly applied coating will take many hours to prep and apply. Would a regular dealer go through the correct process under pressure of time and maximising profits? Maybe they outsource it to a proper detailer, I don't know, but at £299 I'd have thought there'd be no margin in it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Why should I believe anything? This is a pointless argument.
Its your money, you can do what you like, but I strongly advise you and others to take your £299 to a local detailer. You will get much better results.

If you're convinced you will get return on that money on the end, then it will still be there all the same.....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Go to a professional detailing company. For £350 you could get a proper job done by someone that does it every day using top quality products. They will spend the best part of a day on your vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts