Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

We live in a backwards house - Consumer Unit at front, Driveway at the rear past the Garden, so installing a Charging Unit not so easy.

It's not something we're looking at doing installing soon (or maybe ever), but we are looking at getting our nasty patio taken up and replaced with artificial grass within the next month or two.

What I did wonder is if it's worth installing some sort of conduit under the new garden (at the very edge) while the work is being done, to carry such electrical and network cable in the future if needed.

My question - is there any conduit/cable pipe that would be recommended - or another solution? It would be about 6m long. Need to make sure I get something sturdy enough and also big enough to carry the cables easier.

This would mean we wouldn't have to rip up part of the garden to install, and also we wouldn't have to clip it to the fence. We would also drop a length of rope in the conduit to make pulling a cable through easier when the time comes to it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Best bet would be to lay a run of 63mm flexible duct underground where you think you might want power in the future. Make sure it's buried to a depth of 600mm to the top of the duct and that it has a run of yellow and black warning tape laid a short distance above it. I tend to put two lengths of 6mm polyprop rope in ducts as pull cords, as it's useful sometimes to have a spare. Keep the bends in the duct fairly gentle, to make it easier to pull cables through later. If also thinking of running network cable along the same route, then it ideally needs to be in a separate duct, spaced away from the power duct to avoid possible interference. In practice, putting the two ducts either corner of the bottom of the trench is usually fine. Flexible underground duct is pretty cheap, about £50 for a 50m roll of the stuff: Black Twinwall Duct 63mm x 50m Coil

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! Had a quote to get the garden done but they're not sure on how deep they can go, so might be a "we'll see when it comes to it". But basically they're happy for me to lob the conduit down when the garden has been prepared for laying, and then they'll just work over and around it.

Might get a spark involved to see where they'd ideally run the cable to. Again all of this hypothetical, the total cable run would be about 35m and involve going under the floor or through the loft so might be prohibitively expensive to do anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.