1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Yes, but it isn't quite as good for two reasons. Firstly it doesn't share, it just cuts power to the second unit which the second EVSE/car may not appreciate. Secondly, it only switches to the second unit once consumption goes below 3kW which will includes most of the rundown charging rate at the battery balances - meaning that there will be less time available for the second one to charge.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's a good solution for 2 chargers, just a quick & simple fix where other loads like showers can suspend charging. Any car should be able to cope correctly with power interruption during charging.
A possible enhancement is to wire it so thet it just interrupts the CP line instead of power, to avoid the need to switch the high current.

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
Yeah, as others have said load balancing or monitoring is a far better solution. The Podpoint units have (and I think fit as standard) load sensing. They are an affordable solution for people with high, occasional house loads such as showers, electric heating, etc. or want two points. I suspect other manufacturers will add the features as more people have multiple EVs and want two charging points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts