Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Has anyone charged at Gatwick airport??
The short stay car parks have 13a sockets on one of the levels. If you use those you also get to park for free (well, I did, not 100% sure if the Ampera would qualify - check their website).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Who would ever use that?

You'd need to be hanging around at Gatwick for 4-7 hours. Seriously?!
Have you ever picked people up from Gatwick in the middle of holiday season? A 4 hour stay is not beyond the realms of possibility...

·
Registered
697 Posts
We flew from there recently. We couldn't work out how to charge up - we were away for 2 weeks, so short stay was obviously not appropriate. We used the valet parking, and asked them if they'd charge it up for us... But they said they couldn't...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Who would ever use that?

You'd need to be hanging around at Gatwick for 4-7 hours. Seriously?!
I've used it before - often leave a car at Gatwick all day

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We're you there for airport-related stuff? (Flying or collecting?)
No - have only flown once since 2004. Good central meeting venue and the start point for the quickest way into London from Southern England.

EDIT: Technically I've actually flown twice - there, and back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The short stay car parks have 13a sockets on one of the levels. If you use those you also get to park for free (well, I did, not 100% sure if the Ampera would qualify - check their website).
Was at Gatwick Short Stay Car Park last Wednesday. Saw signs for the charger but did not use it.
What system do they have so that you do not need to pay to exit? Also who's charger is it?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you just drive straight to the office near the exit barriers, they either give you an exit ticket for nothing if you've stayed less than 4 hours, or knock 4 hrs off your charge. You have to show your RFID card. Source London was what I used. A couple of the points are branded Pod Point instead - so SL is probably not the only card which works.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you think about it charging in long stay is not a great idea. If you plug in and then leave your car for 2 weeks your car will be fully charged in say, 8 hours and then you are blocking the charger for others for the rest of the 2 weeks.

I hope they don't put charging into long stay.

Far better to allow enough time to charge before or after your trip. Perhaps in a hotel overnight before you travel or if you have rapid charging on a rapid charger before or after.

Only rapid charging makes sense to me in a holiday situation and if you don't have a car with rapid charging then charging before and/or after you travel seems more sensible to me.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Only rapid charging makes sense to me in a holiday situation and if you don't have a car with rapid charging then charging before and/or after you travel seems more sensible to me.
We thought that having the charging in Short Stay was probably the right place for it - for those collecting/etc. For anyone travelling, valet parking should be able to move it after it's fully charged, until you're back from hols? :)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
But why 7kw... argh. Put in 22kw posts for goodness sake. You telling me an airport car park doesn't have 3phase?!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
But why 7kw... argh. Put in 22kw posts for goodness sake. You telling me an airport car park doesn't have 3phase?!
But that isn't the deciding factor, of course. It's whether there's a spare 60kW across the four posts.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
There is the small matter of having the power available of course :)

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice improvement. I try not to spend more than 1 hour in short stay, which gives about 20 miles, which is more than enough to get to the next motorway service station for a quicker charge if there's not enough left in the pack to get home.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts