Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had recently noticed an intermittent knocking noise when accelerating and decelerating, but as soon as I booked it in for local dealer to have a look at, it disappeared (following a rainstorm). Trip to the dealers today, it came back, and result is it needs a new gear drive unit once they can source one from Hyundai - they don't yet know how long that will take...

Technician at the dealers said it would be the second one he has had to do - just relieved he managed to notice it, although he did say that when he saw the job sheet, he suspected it would be the same issue he had previously seen.

Not ideal, but pleasantly surprised it was diagnosed, although wonder if they have already had one in, if this is a weak part or just bad luck...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Had recently noticed an intermittent knocking noise when accelerating and decelerating, but as soon as I booked it in for local dealer to have a look at, it disappeared (following a rainstorm). Trip to the dealers today, it came back, and result is it needs a new gear drive unit once they can source one from Hyundai - they don't yet know how long that will take...

Technician at the dealers said it would be the second one he has had to do - just relieved he managed to notice it, although he did say that when he saw the job sheet, he suspected it would be the same issue he had previously seen.

Not ideal, but pleasantly surprised it was diagnosed, although wonder if they have already had one in, if this is a weak part or just bad luck...
What mileage is the car now?. I believe there were reports, perhaps a year or so ago of a few Konas (and apparently rather more e-Niros) exhibiting a clicking noise with a rate proportional to motor speed, audible even when running at steady speed, which seemed to be some interface issue between motor and reduction gear drive unit. Apparently modified motors were fitted and the noises disappeared...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What mileage is the car now?. I believe there were reports, perhaps a year or so ago of a few Konas (and apparently rather more e-Niros) exhibiting a clicking noise with a rate proportional to motor speed, audible even when running at steady speed, which seemed to be some interface issue between motor and reduction gear drive unit. Apparently modified motors were fitted and the noises disappeared...
Mileage is just short of 15k. Noise is most noticeable when accelerating from a start (either slowly or quickly), and the knocking does increase in frequency as the speed increases, but also evident when decelerating with regen. I think above certain speeds the road/tyre noise masks the noise. When the noise wasn't present it was very evident how different it was...

·
Registered
685 Posts

Mine's booked in on the 28th for the same problem. Tech mentioned the reduction gear. 10k on the clock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine's booked in on the 28th for the same problem. Tech mentioned the reduction gear. 10k on the clock.
Out of interest, how long ago did they confirm the problem ? The dealer suggested to me they don't know how long it would take to get the part in, but should be ok to drive in the meantime - time for a fix less of an issue to me than ensuring the issue was identified, but interested for an idea between diagnosis and fix... They did say they expected to need the car for a couple of days.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Out of interest, how long ago did they confirm the problem ? The dealer suggested to me they don't know how long it would take to get the part in, but should be ok to drive in the meantime - time for a fix less of an issue to me than ensuring the issue was identified, but interested for an idea between diagnosis and fix... They did say they expected to need the car for a couple of days.
I took it in Monday to check the modem. Without any music on when the tech drove it into the bay, he could hear the faint rattle. Not sure if they'll be able to fix it on the 28th if it needs a replacement part, but I'm getting a LEAF as a courtesy car for the few days they need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts