Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does everyone think the new Gen 3 Leaf will arrive? We think about June 2016

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just as long as they make it easier to place car stickers on I'm happy. :D
We recently made a film for Nissan with a certain sticker on the rear of our Leaf :p . What's your guesstimate on the arrival of the Gen 3 Leaf??

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't know then it won't hurt to guess surely (peeling the sticker off the car)

Reactions: Edd Beesley

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! everyone! Paul just answered our question the new Nissan Leaf Gen 3 will be on sale June 2016. It's official!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Usual car product cycles are maximum of 8 years per model with a mid-life refresh. Although Vauxhall's Corsa D platform seems to be soldiering on forever (the "E" is actually still the "D" underneath - little changed since 2006 and now due another 8 years of duty).

So I would estimate that if we take 2011 as the first real product year for the Leaf, we will see a "refresh" next year - minor facelift and maybe a small increment in battery/efficiency/whatever.

Then 2019 for the next proper model.

Which will be about the same as the Tesla Model 3 timescale. I know what Tesla say, but they have missed their target on the Model X by a country mile already!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone is interested we have some speakev stickers on eBay. Slightly used and not as sticky as they were :)

·
Nissan Leaf Driver @tw1nspark
74 Posts
Well I've just bought my second Leaf. I'm hoping by the time that is 2-3 years old, a next gen, hopefully 200mile range Leaf will be available.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I can see Nissan offering a 36kWh LEAF in a year or so which will take up some boot space like the gen 1 did for the charger. Going by the questionnaires that were sent out to LEAF drivers a few months back about how much extra would you pay for a bigger battery.

Will there be a Gen 3 LEAF? Will Nissan implement an EV drivetrain into current models? Pulsar E 40kWh anyone?

Don't see much point of Nissan having a LEAF in the Model range if it's possible to implement an EV drivetrain in the Pulsar as they are both C segment cars and similar in size. Wouldn't it reduce costs to retire the LEAF if a Pulsar E was possible?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice twist! With more dense batteries I think 36kW is on the cards in 18 Months. It should produce 150 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Maybe Nissan will introduce a PHEV – all the fiscal benefit selling points, no range anxiety and a slightly smaller (cheaper) battery. Could be on the LEAF, Pulsar or Juke platforms

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nissan are just about to do a global push with the EV's. Not sure they are too interested in PHEV.

Reactions: nattydread

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
Yeah Kia are the first out of the gate with the next bump up in battery chemistry. Tesla have already made the announcement. Nissan shouldn't be far behind. BMW are putting 20kWh into the 3 series PHEV, so they've got the latest batteries too.

I know Paul can't say anything, but I'm expecting LEAF to have better batteries within a year. Nissan have been hinting at it for some time now.

All new car in calendar year 2016? Maybe. Need to start seeing spy photos soon if that is true.

A little annoying that Paul knows and can't tell us. ;)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
When I bought my Leaf a couple of months ago the dealer said it was 3rd gen, the 1st gen being a Japan only model.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
When I bought my Leaf a couple of months ago the dealer said it was 3rd gen, the 1st gen being a Japan only model.
Not correct I'm afraid. In fact as much as we call the latest LEAF models Gen 2 they're not even really a "generation" apart from the first gen, it was just a significant change in options and spec and (for some regions) the factory they're built at.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So Paul... When do you expect to get your next Leaf? :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts