Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there is a new nav system update notification for the MY22 Soul, "[Standard Gen5W Navigation] OTA updates for maps and software".
Appears to be an update enabling OTA updates (as it says on the tin!)

Has anyone tried this yet?

Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
I see there is a new nav system update notification for the MY22 Soul, "[Standard Gen5W Navigation] OTA updates for maps and software".
Appears to be an update enabling OTA updates (as it says on the tin!)

Has anyone tried this yet?
I believe that you get one OTA (sim) update and then it鈥檚 a pay to use service - unless this has now changed.
It鈥檚 a bit confusing because the car already has user updates via the usb port and OTA won鈥檛 delivery any different updates just the ability to update using the cars onboard sim - for me I can live with downloading to usb and updating that way.
There is the existing 7 Year from new connectivity for the Kia app and live traffic etc - which I believe remains unchanged. Not sure what this latest update offers - anything worthwhile?

Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx

Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
I read it as 7 years free USB updates (all cars) and 2 OTA (MY 鈥22- cars) updates free. Then you have to purchase a subscription through Kia Connect if you want your 3rd or more update via OTA.

Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
Possibly. When I collected the car new it didn鈥檛 have the latest version. I鈥檓 not convinced that it鈥檚 updated or checked on a service - my last service took 25mins - nothing about software on the service checklist. Checks for recalls but updating the maps and infotainment- not sure.

Registered
I believe the firmware/software should be updated by Kia when the cars arrive in the UK, but did not happen with our car, so got dealer to do it as part of PDI. I think a subsequent dealer update is not part of a service and costs 拢20 - 拢40. Updates are available more than once a year and can be requested at any time. I use the free on-line update method.

Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
I believe the firmware/software should be updated by Kia when the cars arrive in the UK, but did not happen with our car, so got dealer to do it as part of PDI. I think a subsequent dealer update is not part of a service and costs 拢20 - 拢40. Updates are available more than once a year and can be requested at any time. I use the free on-line update method.
Do you know how the OTA changes to software will impact updates using the usb?

Registered
Soul EV 2020
Do you know how the OTA changes to software will impact updates using the usb?
The text indicates both mechanisms are possible - which makes sense given that OTA updates become chargeable (after 2 years) I'd expect any USB load to overwrite recent OTA updates so they would applied OTA after any USB load - ie you might get reversion in maps until the OTA update had repeated. All of this has to be implemented otherwise a service/repair centre would never be able to try fixes/reloads.

Also it's not clear to me how practical/complete OTA updates are - they obviously won't be the ~22Gb or so that current downloads take - the chance of the vehicle sustaining a mobile connection for long enough and the difficulties of implementing a resilient download approach able to resume/restart across a variable mobile signal are significant.

So I might assume the OTA updates to Nav data at least are much smaller incremental patches. ( - which, if made available for USB could result in more frequent updates!)

I'd expect upgrades to the base software and nav unit software to still be USB given the possible gotchas with failed updates and the size of the software images.

Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
Good points. Maybe Kia have secured 5g which might make things slightly better - or worse with current coverage! I think OTA is great but it needs the car to be able to connect to WiFi for it to work well. I can see lots of failed OTA updates unless it鈥檚 been well thought out. Which on past experiences has not been the case.

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
Has anyone with a First Edition Soul (MY19) managed to get this latest update?

The Updater software claims that this is not suitable/available?

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
As I understand it - the OTA software update is limited to MY2022 cars and newer.
I get that, what I meant was: I was expecting an update to nav/infotainment for FE Soul? Has anyone seen one?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts