Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a cue from the growing penchant for alternative energy vehicles in China, General Motors is ramping up its electric vehicle program there. The Chinese arm of the company has doubled the target for new models to be rolled out over a period of five years. The current target is 20 new models – comprising 10 fully electrified models to be launched through 2023 and 10 models the company had announced earlier for a four-year program starting 2016.
Source: Forget US, General Motors finds fertile grounds in China for EV | AlphaStreet

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
China have led the market for a good many years regarding EV's and EV products.

I purchased my first 50Ah LiFePo4 cells from them in 2008 as well as a very functional BMS. Even dealing with queries on the BMS was easy.
In 2012 I purchased another set of cells (100Ah) direct from the Chinese supplier and found dealing with them very straight forward with English speakers.
The rest of the world had very little to offer the hobbyist in those days and most western companies ignored my enquiries.
I wouldn't be surprised if China lead the world with EV sales as our manufacturers keep their noses in the corporate/oil rich trough.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Nikki G-B's video mentioned the BYD e5 & E6 models being made in large volumes in China; I googled these, and they have 61 & 82 kWh batteries in! The E5 in particular has a decent looking motor spec, even if they do restrict top speed to 81 mph (I'd have thought faster would be okay here surely?). I'm surprised we don't see these appearing in Europe/USA - is it that demand so much outstrips supply that they cannot yet export these? Or are they lacking some critical safety features we need here? Or do they just not want US dollars that much? 80% fast charge in 90 mins is maybe slow, but surely plenty fast enough for a lot of us with that large range under the belt?

·
Chartered Engineer
1,841 Posts
The Chinese BEVs are getting very impressive, they are learning fast how to make quality vehicles and there are some very good examples now. I suspect the speeds are limited to maximise efficiency in the normal speed range because a longer range BEV for China needs to travel considerable distances between chargers when moving out of the cities.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I believe the e6 is availble inthe UK for companies via a partner.
x50 per customer
It is very much aimed at fleet.
Unless we want to arrange a group buy.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I can't see us having enough spare cash to do a bulk order! appx 5000 members, most of whom already have some form of Ev. Any new EV is going to need visible mfr backup support locally; Vx have just-about managed to support Ampera with 25 dealers, Tesla have rather fewer outlets, plus a mobile-car support network, and presumably will expand that once the Model 3 starts arriving in quantity. Am not aware of any BYD dealerships here in Uk - are there any? What about in Europe?

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
I believe the e6 is availble inthe UK for companies via a partner.
x50 per customer
It is very much aimed at fleet.
Unless we want to arrange a group buy.
There's a reason they're not sold to the public in the UK. Poor interior build quality and almost zero customer support.

Anyhow, what is the price?

·
Chartered Engineer
1,841 Posts
There's a reason they're not sold to the public in the UK. Poor interior build quality and almost zero customer support.

Anyhow, what is the price?
I don’t know the price, but the quality of Chinese vehicles is improving very fast indeed. I’ve had the opportunity to visit China a few times over the last few years on business and they have very capable Engineers who are now building a lot of practical experience. They are prepared to rethink approaches and try new ideas, and do so at a fast pace. Underestimating them based on out of dat stereotypes is a big mistake IMHO.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There's a BYD E6 being used as a taxi in Warwick - I see it every week or so...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts