Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that the Geneva Motor Show has been cancelled just one week before it was due.

Not good news, was anyone else planning to go? :(

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
281 Posts
Do you know the reason for the cancellation? Maybe the worry about the corona virus... :unsure:

It was said last September that the Frankfurt show of 2019 may be the last one in Frankfurt due to low interest and bad economy in arranging it. I was actually in Frankfurt on another business and had no idea about the ongoing show, otherwise I'd have visited it since I actually had a day to kill and was looking for a new car, so it would have been interesting to see all the major models and alternatives under the same roof.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Do you know the reason for the cancellation? Maybe the worry about the corona virus... :unsure:

It was said last September that the Frankfurt show of 2019 may be the last one in Frankfurt due to low interest and bad economy in arranging it. I was actually in Frankfurt on another business and had no idea about the ongoing show, otherwise I'd have visited it since I actually had a day to kill and was looking for a new car, so it would have been interesting to see all the major models and alternatives under the same roof.
Switzerland banned all public gatherings/events of more than 1,000 people due to the virus. That's why the Motor Show is cancelled now, too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is the COVID-19 outbreak across Europe.

I've been enjoying the uptick in EV models from various manufacturers in recent years and was hoping to get some hands on.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,124 Posts
If it had gone ahead and bunch of folk had spread coronovirus further and wider it wouldn't have been very welcome.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably wouldn't want to travel at the moment anyway. Glad I don't have shares in the cruise industry.
I agree completely, and I reckon I'd get some odd looks walking around with a full face gas mask on, and constantly changing gloves.

Lets hope things don't get too bad. :(

·
Registered
281 Posts
You probably wouldn't want to travel at the moment anyway. Glad I don't have shares in the cruise industry.
Just came home from a business trip. I work in aviation, so travelling is part of the every day job, even if not literally. I spend quite a lot of time flying, on airports, meeting rooms, hotels and restaurants. Life must go on as usual until somebody says otherwise. I honestly don't understand this hysterical reaction to something which is taking less lives than ordinary flu does every year.

Anyway, I am off to another trip in two weeks time, and almost every second week after that, including a planned holiday lasting two weeks in May. OK, none of the trips are to any of the "risky" areas, but who knows whom I will meet...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Switzerland banned all public gatherings/events of more than 1,000 people due to the virus. That's why the Motor Show is cancelled now, too.
How about sport events, concerts and other similar events? What about public transport? How many passengers can a train take between Lugano and Zürich? How many people can be gathered at the major railway stations all at the same time? I think that such action is pointless and is just helping to create even more panic with no benefits. 1,000 + people events are not that few...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,013 Posts
How about sport events, concerts and other similar events? What about public transport? How many passengers can a train take between Lugano and Zürich? How many people can be gathered at the major railway stations all at the same time? I think that such action is pointless and is just helping to create even more panic with no benefits. 1,000 + people events are not that few...
Concerts will be postponed, sporting events will be either postponed or played in empty stadiums. Don't know about public transport.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just realised I'm not watching the news at all...

Just came home from a business trip. I work in aviation, so travelling is part of the every day job, even if not literally. I spend quite a lot of time flying, on airports, meeting rooms, hotels and restaurants. Life must go on as usual until somebody says otherwise. I honestly don't understand this hysterical reaction to something which is taking less lives than ordinary flu does every year.

Anyway, I am off to another trip in two weeks time, and almost every second week after that, including a planned holiday lasting two weeks in May. OK, none of the trips are to any of the "risky" areas, but who knows whom I will meet...
The primary issue is that we have a virus that we know almost nothing about, and even if now it doesn't cause many deaths currently, provided no vaccine is found then the impact globally could be quite serious because of the spread. This being said... news agencies need to survive somehow, the stock market needs corrections and someone needs to buy a competitor airline. You can only sell so much sex; next big seller is death.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I honestly don't understand this hysterical reaction to something which is taking less lives than ordinary flu does every year.
Hmm...that is being selective with a statistic.

Seasonal Flu has a lower death rate per infected person (less than 1%). COVID-19 is running at around 3%. Flu also has a lower hospitalisation rate and a lower rate of reproduction.

This thing has the potential to overwhelm healthcare services and cause death tolls that could dwarf the swine flu pandemic.

It has to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
This thing has the potential to overwhelm healthcare services and cause death tolls that could dwarf the swine flu pandemic.
Perhaps we need to read up about the 1918/19 Spanish 'flu (actually it was an American export with a boat load of GI's)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never been to a motor show, are they something just car display exhibitions or is there something more for people with average/general interest in cars? (Can I take my wife for date to one!?!:p)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,252 Posts
Seems that the Geneva Motor Show has been cancelled just one week before it was due.

Not good news, was anyone else planning to go? :(
I was not planning on going, which means I am affected because I am no longer able to change my mind about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts