Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the child who designed this app? I just want to make sure I never accidentally employ them to do any professional work for me.
What an absolute dog's dinner.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The fact that it's just the usual website within an app makes it even more confusing how they managed to produce something that's so badly optimised and painfully slow.

·
Registered
Ioniq
701 Posts
Ah, I wondered if it was just my phone or something. How is it possible to make a map that is so slow to move about?

If you've already gone through the process of registering an RFID card I presume there are no chargers that require use of the app or website instead of the card, are there?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If you've already gone through the process of registering an RFID card I presume there are no chargers that require use of the app or website instead of the card, are there?
Nope. I use RFID at all times and have never found a charger or post that doesn't accept cards. I just have to use the website for making payments on the account.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why use the app over the website?

- the app remembers your login forever, unlike the website.

How it works for me:
I've registered a my polar plus keyfob as an RFID, so I start charges with that, then monitor the charge speed and end the charge via the app.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,808 Posts
Does it have to be a physical card or can phone/watch be used?
AFAIK it has to be the card. I've seen on here that people have problems with the phone/watch as they sends different codes from start and end charge. This confuses the charger, which is expecting the same code at both ends. If you start a charge you can't stop. I may be wrong and it could be just the debit/credit card reader type that's effected this way. o_O

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well as mentioned above, you can start the charge via RFID, then stop it via the app. That's how I do it every time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AFAIK it has to be the card. I've seen on here that people have problems with the phone/watch as they sends different codes from start and end charge. This confuses the charger, which is expecting the same code at both ends. If you start a charge you can't stop. I may be wrong and it could be just the debit/credit card reader type that's effected this way. o_O
That's really interesting. I had a problem at a Polar yesterday where it wouldn't accept my phone to end the charge even though it had started it.

Jeez - EVs should be nailing new tech but instead seem to be making a complete mess of it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That's really interesting. I had a problem at a Polar yesterday where it wouldn't accept my phone to end the charge even though it had started it.

Jeez - EVs should be nailing new tech but instead seem to be making a complete mess of it.
That's not really an EV charger issue, but the credit card terminal. And the charger companies can't really mess with the programming of that.

I believe it's why stuff like Apple pay had to set up a special mode for cards being used for travel on public transport too. As well as not needing the same level of authorisation, it holds the same virtual card number allowing your usage to be collected together and charged accordingly.

Usually your phone will provide a different virtual card number each time as a security measure to prevent sharing your actual card number.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
208 Posts
Well as mentioned above, you can start the charge via RFID, then stop it via the app. That's how I do it every time.
I'm now having Kittens, yesterday I used the new GeniePoint charger at Morrisons, couldn't be bothered registering on the webapp so tried my debit card (which is registered to my account with the Engie Network, same company, same units, different network), it worked. I then just ended the session on the car's screen. I'm now wondering if I didn't end the session properly and it's still charging me, gulp. Also, I've not yet had any notification via email or my bank acc of the session or charges.

NB for those who don't have an RFID card, it might be worth phoning them and asking if you can have your debit card registered against your account as a way of activating the charger via the charger screen, like an RFID card. If you do it, you might possibly have to be actually stood at the charger ready to put your card to the screen when you phone them. They can then do all the linky bit at their end.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm now having Kittens, yesterday I used the new GeniePoint charger at Morrisons, couldn't be bothered registering on the webapp so tried my debit card (which is registered to my account with the Engie Network, same company, same units, different network), it worked. I then just ended the session on the car's screen. I'm now wondering if I didn't end the session properly and it's still charging me, gulp. Also, I've not yet had any notification via email or my bank acc of the session or charges.

NB for those who don't have an RFID card, it might be worth phoning them and asking if you can have your debit card registered against your account as a way of activating the charger via the charger screen, like an RFID card. If you do it, you might possibly have to be actually stood at the charger ready to put your card to the screen when you phone them. They can then do all the linky bit at their end.
You can use ANY card with Geniepoint Once without registering or being charged in my experience, It just won't work again until you link it up to the account.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
208 Posts
You can use ANY card with Geniepoint Once without registering or being charged in my experience, It just won't work again until you link it up to the account.
Ah, that's interesting. I assumed it was due to my other Engie account and the two Networks being one of the same operator, but could of course be completely wrong. I'll go back sometime and try my debit card again and see what happens.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had mixed success with Geniepoint (generally good but not always) and because I'm doing a long roadtrip soon, I thought I would register my CYC RFID card with them, to see if that's more reliable than the web/app. What are people's thoughts, specifically:
  • How am I charged? Would a geniepoint charge cost be added to my CYC account bill, or does it use another method?
  • Assuming the CYC card would work, would it also work for their sister company Engie chargers?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I've had mixed success with Geniepoint (generally good but not always) and because I'm doing a long roadtrip soon, I thought I would register my CYC RFID card with them, to see if that's more reliable than the web/app. What are people's thoughts, specifically:
  • How am I charged? Would a geniepoint charge cost be added to my CYC account bill, or does it use another method?
  • Assuming the CYC card would work, would it also work for their sister company Engie chargers?
Many thanks.
Your genie account would be accessed using the CYC card. So you'll still need to have the account set up with payment details on file and you'll have to use the website every now and then. It won't communicate with CYC, you're just giving the CYC card another use. You can also use it with the other networks with the same backend system like Engie or Dragon, but you'll have to register each one separately even though its the same card being used. I believe you have to be at the charger to link a RFID card to your account.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well this thread nicely summarises the mess created by a hotch potch of charging providers and technologies in the UK
Couldn't agree more. The charging infrastructure in this country currently is a disaster. The basics like being able to use any debit/credit card at all chargers and a solid reliable motorway charging network aren't even there. I'm a great believer in EV's but the infrastructure needs serious work for mass adoption.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your genie account would be accessed using the CYC card. So you'll still need to have the account set up with payment details on file and you'll have to use the website every now and then. It won't communicate with CYC, you're just giving the CYC card another use. You can also use it with the other networks with the same backend system like Engie or Dragon, but you'll have to register each one separately even though its the same card being used. I believe you have to be at the charger to link a RFID card to your account.
Thanks. I linked it today. It seemed a suspiciously smooth operation... :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep, ChargePlace Scotland card linked straight away. Never had a problem with GeniePoint since.

Reactions: Neilew
1 - 20 of 21 Posts