Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had cause to use a genie point destination charger earlier this evening (drake circus, Plymouth) and assumed my newmotion RFID would work automatically...

No such luck. Managed to find some WiFi in the multi story carpark (3g data wasn't working) so thought I'd try to register an account and start a charge. Apparently because I had a newmotion account, my email was already registered. Cue a password reset email... I let chrome set a suitable password (genie point have a stupid password requirement) which it then failed to remember so I failed to login and my account was then locked for 10 mins :(

Thought I'd try and call customer services, realised I had no phone signal in the car park, resorted to Skype... Got through to the most helpful person ever! Found my newmotion account in 5 secs, asked me if I wanted to register my newmotion RFID onto my account, she pulled the unique number off the charger I had just tried to start and within 20 seconds the charge was started.

A total result to an otherwise annoying ten minutes.

I hate to think how this would have worked for someone not technical...

All praise to genie point for excellent customer service.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I believe you can use pretty much any RFID card on a GeniePoint charger once it's registered with them. You are supposed to be able to go through a registration process at the pump if your card isn't already registered with your GeniePoint account, but that didn't work for me. I emailed them later and they were able to register my Ecotricity RFID card from the number on the card I gave them, but not my CYC card, since the number printed on the card is different from the internal number. They have to be able to read that when you phone them at the pump - which is what they did in your case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just use your phone - register an account and click on your location and start charge. The RFID cards just seem to complicate matters.

edit - I appreciate your predicament OP being quite unique so I am just speaking generally. Starting the charger from the comfort of your car rather than messing around in the wind and rain seems the simpliest option for most rapids.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Just use your phone - register an account and click on your location and start charge. The RFID cards just seem to complicate matters.

edit - I appreciate your predicament OP being quite unique so I am just speaking generally. Starting the charger from the comfort of your car rather than messing around in the wind and rain seems the simpliest option for most rapids.
RFID is a lot more straight-forward than using an app. Even with an app, you still have to be out in the wind and rain to press buttons on the pump and plug in the connector.

·
Striving for a greener planet
247 Posts
The real good thing about GeniePoint is that your RFID card can be your bank card. I found this out recently when on my hols and the other half had the card on her and I’d whizzed off to charge. They linked it up Over the phone. So it’s just like paying contactless with your bank card, almost...
I did have to do the lift the connector trick to get the unit to initialise though so that is something to be mindful of on CCS if it ever fails first time around. Had to do it on a Model 3 and Kona

·
Registered
139 Posts
I paired my chargepoint rfid card with a geniepoint charger and registered my credit card online with auto top up. Chargepoint card just activates and stops the charge. Used it a couple of times with no issues.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RFID over phone app for me, every day. It's 100 times faster and easier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts