Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about genie.

Do I need the RFID card? Or do I have to have to top up my account to charge? Will they not just take the amount charged off my registered card? Going back to the RFID card, why are they charging £9 for the card? Does that mean that then they don't charge you?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
No, there is a website that you can use instead. Also you can register any other RFID account.

To avoid the cost of small transactions you have to maintain a pre-paid balance by topping up your account at a minimum of £5 a time.

£9 - god knows! No idea.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Probably to put people off of collecting them. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
Saw that you can register any card. Still can't work out why they want £9 for their card.
Pretty much all the charging networks expect you to pay for a RFID card. CYC/CPS Take £20 per year. E.On Take £15 from memory, and Electric Blue charge £10 for example. For me personally, it's worth paying too for the benefit of not using an app.

The only 2 who give their cards away for free that I can think of are Ecotricity and Pod Point, which makes sense since both their network's RFID supported posts are more or less phased out at this point.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Neither do Maingau, ChargePoint or NewMotion charge for their RFID..

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have my charge point RFID registered. Bit of faff registering as you need to be standing next to the charger and connect via web site.
Always worked when needed. A bit dearer than others. Originally used for other half when she road tripped to visit family (500 mile) only had to use charge point RFID at Geniepoint and instavolt no panic worked fine for her.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I guess it will be a card as signed up for a card via their app and it's been posted, so I will wait and see when it comes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just noticed that it says the fob may have multiple ID's.

The card I have registered with Genie Point, continually refreshes and therefore Genie Point require a stable RFID Card.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts