Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
EGolf
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst we don’t really have a need for public charging in the eGolf I like to try them out when I can just in case I one day need to use them and so the experience is not totally alien to me. So we drove into Bristol on Saturday, only 7miles but with 21miles showing on the gom I thought I’d try out a charge from the newly installed Genie Point chargers in the St George’s street car park. I use this car park and noticed the installation a few weeks ago. There is a chademo, CCS and type2 so all bases covered, however, downloaded the app, put £20 on as was instructed only to find it didn’t work. So rang the number, someone answered promptly, and was told there was a network problem and to use the RFID card (which I don’t have), next try your debit card by waving it at the screen, still no joy so gave up. There was a couple in a leaf using the charge point next to me having the same issues.

the main reason for talking the eGolf was to see how accurate the gom is at low charge, so with 14 miles showing we headed the 7mile journey home, all bar the final mile in a motorway. Firstly the acceleration is pretty much non existent with power down to 25% and a max speed of 60 was allowed. Not really a problem but overtaking was a challenge!
There was 5 of us in the car so a bit of extra weight but we made it home with 6miles remaining, pretty accurate overall.
I did notice along with the turtle on the dash there was an image of a foot and perhaps a brake peddle? It went before I could take a picture. If anyone knows what that means please say?

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Looking at StreetView, that's College St car park, right?

The image was captured in March 2021 - no chargers I can see, but 3 men in HiVis in the far corner working on something.

(Nostalgia time: very close to my old school!)

·
Registered
EGolf
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea that;s the carpark, these were installed a couple of weeks ago when I was last there but taped off, actually in operation now, except of course they weren't due to a network problem!

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Incidentally you can use any RFID card with GeniePoint - you just have to register it with them. I registered my old Ecotricity RFID offline with them quite easily, as the number printed on that card is the same as in the chip. Other RFID cards they said to phone them while at the pump so they could see the number and register it. I found that I couldn't register a card using the app at the pump and following the instructions when I tried it. You may be able to do that, however. I suppose it depends on the particular model of charger.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
4,986 Posts
If they are that new, I wonder if they have not been commissioned yet? Sometimes it takes a while for some companies to get around to commissioning them. It sounds better and plausible to say there is a network error, rather than say that we couldn't get off our butts and get round to commissioning them. :eek:

Reactions: Creationblue

·
Registered
EGolf
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quite possibly, but it highlights another failed charge and hassle of charging, I mean it wasn't stressful as I had enough charge to get home but on my limited experience of finding chargers and using them since getting the car in January, I have had more not work than actually work so my enthusiasm of going electric for all journeys has now evaporated and I will just take the Diesel if out of the Golfs range. Such a shame really........

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
4,986 Posts
Such a shame really........
Yes, that is a shame. Hopefully, with all the work that Gridserve is doing, you will soon feel more confident in making longer electric journeys. They look like a company to rely on.:)

Maybe give it a while and try the post again. You never know, it may work next time.

Reactions: Creationblue

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
Incidentally you can use any RFID card with GeniePoint - you just have to register it with them. I registered my old Ecotricity RFID offline with them quite easily, as the number printed on that card is the same as in the chip. Other RFID cards they said to phone them while at the pump so they could see the number and register it. I found that I couldn't register a card using the app at the pump and following the instructions when I tried it. You may be able to do that, however. I suppose it depends on the particular model of charger.
Presumably this still wouldn’t work as the rfid number would still need to be validated.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
Yeah my point is that if the network is down there's no reason to believe the RFID would work as the charger will still need to validate this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts