Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I didn't know this, so thought I'd post it in case it's useful for others too. The first time I tried a Geniepoint charger I found it very difficult, as it doesn't use an app but relies on the web page, so you have to go in through your web browser instead. However, they can register "an RFID card" (didn't specify that it had to be their card) - so this weekend I tried registering my ChargeYourCar (CYC) RFID card with them - and it worked! You need to be at a charger in order to register a card. I had to call the help line, as the website wouldn't recognise that I was next to the charger, but the guy on the phone was really helpful and got me sorted in a few minutes. So now I can charge at a Geniepoint charger simply by touching my CYC RFID card at the charger screen - simples :). I had to create a Geniepoint account on the web first, and put some money on the account, but this can all be done from the comfort of your sofa at home, with laptop :).

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
As a side note, it appears you can get one emergency charge without registering the card by tapping any RFID card on a Geniepoint unit. It doesn't seem to catch up with the fact that it's not registered until after the first use.

I tapped my Chargeplace Scotland card on one recently not noticing it was a Genie unit due to it being a new, completely unbranded install other than on the screen once I woke it up with my card.

Surprisingly it went ahead and started the charge and let me stop at the end. Obviously I didn't get billed for that session, but it wouldn't let me use it again until I linked my CPS card with their network so it could actually bill me for usage.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Interesting! Sadly our local post got taken out in the recent floods and whilst the rest of the "petrol" station has been rebuilt (new tanks and pumps - probably planned for some point but no closure had previously been publicised) there is no sign of when it'll be repaired.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you can register your RFID card on their website as well as the charger. FAQs - ENGIE EV Solutions
I tried this, but the website was clear in that I needed to be at a charger to register the card. This is when I needed to call support, as the website still didn't recognise that I was next to the charger (I enabled "location" permission for the browser) - the support guy talked me through touching the card to the charger window a couple of times through the registration process, so it does seem to need the charger in order to register the card.

Further to the above, I've just checked your link and it goes to a different website to the "geniepoint.co.uk" that I was using. The web page from your link does clearly state you can register the card via the web, but I didn't get a chance to test that. Would be insteresting to hear others' experiences...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to register my Electric Highway card by e-mail by quoting the 8-character hexadecimal number which is printed in the bottom right-hand corner.
Cool - I'm now thinking - can I use my CYC card on other networks too (as well as Geniepoint)? It seems from this forum that CYC is declining, so I'm wondering what other use I can get from the card. You mention that your Electric Highway card works with Geniepoint, so clearly the RFID format is compatible. Has anyone tried registering a CYC card with Electric Highway, or vica versa?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
Cool - I'm now thinking - can I use my CYC card on other networks too (as well as Geniepoint)? It seems from this forum that CYC is declining, so I'm wondering what other use I can get from the card. You mention that your Electric Highway card works with Geniepoint, so clearly the RFID format is compatible. Has anyone tried registering a CYC card with Electric Highway, or vica versa?
CYC/CPS cards work automatically on Ecotricity's AC posts, but not the rapid chargers - The RFID readers were disabled on them some time ago.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I registered my charge point rfid with geniepoint it only starts and stops a charge still have to register a payment card online. I also tried to register my charge point card with engie same web page as geniepoint. No luck, spoke to helpline said you cant register the same card for both companies. WHY.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will a standard Contactless bank card work with all providers?

·
Registered
184 Posts
...as it doesn't use an app but relies on the web page, so you have to go in through your web browser instead.
There is a Genie point app but it's terrible. Despite having permission to use phone location, the app shows my nearest charger as 3400 miles away! Even standing next to the charger couldn't pick it up! You have to register an RFID card whilst at the charger. Cannot do it online. I did this yesterday although charger wasn't picked up so called helpline. Advisor asked for charger number or location. I then started charge, placed card against screen and authentication fails but advisor can see card details. Then linked it to my account and worked after that. I didn't actually charge so don't know if it will charge my Chargepoint account or need to add a payment card on Geniepoint account.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
Will a standard Contactless bank card work with all providers?
No. Check out Zap Map. You can filter to show only chargers that accept credit cards, but that will limit the number of charging stations you can use quite significantly. You'll likely find you need to sign up to a few different companies for apps or RFID Cards along the routes that you will be driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts