Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from Genie-point allowing free charging for key workers!

Am awaiting the reply!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
I got the email this time last night. No response as of yet. It'll be handy to have, though very few chargers in my area are geniepoints so I'm unsure how much use I'll get out of it.

Thankfully Electric Blue were one of the first to make their chargers free to use and there's plenty of then around me. I've not paid for a single mile of driving yet this month!

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
Someone kindly put this on HotUKDeals and I spotted it there.

I got an email Friday evening confirming key worker discount as wife is an NHS employee.

Got just shy of 41kW today for free. That and Octopus Agile plunge pricing means driving the Leaf is incredibly cheap right now!

3,500 miles in with my EV, and only spent £67.50 on electricity.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did they email you to say it was active or you just charged and did not get billed?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Applied last night and just been notified that I can charge for free. Charge will appear on bill as £0.00.
Luckily they have just installed a rapid in my local Morrisons so will use that until the offer ends.
Have used them when on our travels a little expensive compared to others but always available and working.
I have my chargepoint RFID card linked to my account so easy to start no web app to worry about.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
I was going to mention that, I had to have a remote start because if you use the web app to start charging it complains there is no credit.

It works fine if you use an RFID card, so they registered that for me and starts with no issues!

Hint - most NFC or RFID cards work, so if you already have one try registering that slot save paying the £9 for their card.

Anyone had any indication of how long it would last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
is this just NHS staff or "all" key workers ?

im a key worker, just finished a 6 day week

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is this just NHS staff or "all" key workers ?

im a key worker, just finished a 6 day week

This is the list:
  • Health & Social Care
  • Education & Childcare
  • Key public services
  • Local & national government
  • Food & other necessary goods distribution
  • Public safety & national security
  • Transport
  • Utilities, communication & financial services

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Technically I am a key worker (my employer supplies telehealth equipment) but would never consider myself one, but the definition seems to vary from employer to employer, and company to company.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
I believe if your role is actively involved in a key worker activity - then you can claim key worker.

I.e if you are a supply chain co-ordinator for a food manufacturer which requires you to travel then fine, but working in the IT dept for the same company probably not... Our company has specifically called out employees considered key workers.

My wife on the other hand works at a hospital, so very much on the ‘frontline’ regardless of actually dealing with COVID patients or not.

These are good gestures by those companies offering them, and can only hope they are not withdrawn by those few trying to stretch the boundaries - like these fake NHS lanyards going around!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Are there any other networks offering similar?

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
I’m a key worker, I’m working but I’m also getting paid, so no I won’t be availing myself of free charging from anybody.

I‘m not having a dig at those who do either, but it seems to me a lot of this stuff is opportunistic marketing. If they really want to help key workers get around now and in the future, get some more bloody chargers installed in more places, drop the silly requirements for apps and other restrictive payment methods and invest more in making them reliable.

And if you could locate them somewhere that has slightly better ambience than a typical 1980s nightclub, that would be great too. Putting even your free to use charger around the back of the location, in an unlit area next to the bins and the slip road isn’t great, especially if it‘s late and you’re a lone female.

Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I‘m not having a dig at those who do either, but it seems to me a lot of this stuff is opportunistic marketing. If they really want to help key workers get around now and in the future, get some more bloody chargers installed in more places, drop the silly requirements for apps and other restrictive payment methods and invest more in making them reliable.
Fantastic post, you have hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Used my local geniepoint last night. Have used in past and paired my chargepoint rfid card to the account. Zap map reported that users had issues connecting via the web app but I had no problems using rfid..
As mentioned already I would prefer contactless on all chargers forget apps and subscriptions.
Trying to explain this to non ev drivers and there eyes glaze over and look at you as if your mad.
Until this is sorted and made as painless as possible then ev uptake will stall unless you get a tesla.

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
Thread ressurection! Curious if anyone else had any notification this was ending?

Had not used it since Mid-June, however used today and it told me my account was suspended after with a negative balance. I've dropped them a mail to confirm but was curious if anyone else had anything from them regards to an end date. As it happened the Rapid I used was terrible as kept stopping / starting and left a error message on the Leaf after I stopped the charge.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
217 Posts
I think it was June. At least that according to the email they sent me.

Dear GeniePoint Network registered driver,

Over the past eight weeks, the GeniePoint Network has been fuelling the vehicles of our key workers free of charge in support of their monumental effort to keep the country running during the Covid-19 crisis.

Over 400k free miles of low carbon energy has been provided via our nationwide GeniePoint Network to help those performing critical roles to travel safely in their electric vehicle bubble, with minimal contact from the outside world.

As the UK eases out of lockdown, we will be bringing this offer to an end on the 19 June 2020, and the GeniePoint Network will revert to its previous pricing schedule.

Over 104Mwh of free electricity has been supplied, and we hope that we have been able to make a small difference in easing the lives of some of those in our local towns and communities working for all our benefit.

We have received many letters of thanks from GeniePoint Network drivers who took advantage of the offer, and we hope we can continue to provide a reliable and easy to use service to all our customers going forward.

You do not need to do anything on your account, but please remember, costs will be applied for charging on the GeniePoint Network from midnight on 19 June 2020 onwards.

Our Customer Services team is already ready to help 24/7 –Tel: 020 3598 4087 Email: [email protected]

To make sure you receive any future offers, please make sure you have confirmed ‘I wish to receive marketing emails’ option in your account settings.

Overall, please remember to follow Government advice on social distancing, and stay alert at all times. We hope you and your families stay safe during these difficult times.

Kind regards
Alex Bamberg
Managing Director
ENGIE EV Solutions

·
Registered
Leaf e+
188 Posts
Thanks - Finally heard back from them and they confirmed this - strange I never got the mail, perhaps ended up in the spam box - or never got it because I don't have marketing E-Mails enabled?!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts