Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a charge at one of their sites I was issued a parking ticket.

• No indication on the parking site
  • parking was at a shell service station
  • charger was operational and billed me for a successful charge

Apparently the parking where it was located "closed after 8pm" though it was on a motorway, at a filling station with shell pumps
I contacted them to rectify the mistake from the PCN issuer since I was clearly on the charging station bay charging my van.

Geniepoint strung me along making me lose time saying they will sort it only to tell me that it is not possible and to pay the fine.
Honestly, things like this make me stop recommending EV's. The charging network needs to be much more robust than this...
If I had a fossil car I would have happily filled up at the gas station 10 meters away, this discrimination on EV's is !%!"£ bs.

/rant

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
759 Posts
Which MSA was this? That's shocking.

Sounds like legacy parking restrictions and confused, stupid people at the PCN issuer who don't even want to understand that what they're proposing is batshit crazy!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think you'll be successful if you appeal - if there is no sign to tell you you can't park there after 8, and you have the receipt to prove you were charging, I don't really see how they can enforce it. I also don't think it is GeniePoint's fault, as they aren't responsible for general parking restrictions!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
759 Posts
I do think the charger operators have a responsibility here. Both to work with the car park operator/ enforcement and to inform the customer clearly what parking restrictions, if any, apply when charging.

"Charges may apply - check signage" is't a very helpful disclaimer when I'm sat at my laptop, trying to plan a journey!

Especially complex with pub chargers. Do I need to be a customer? Is a glass of coke OK? Do I need to go in and enter my reg number? What about when the pub's closed? Does it depend on who's on the bar? I just want to charge, and "free charging included with your subscription" is a very different offer if it relies on being a customer of wherever the charger happens to be.

I would think to check on parking in a council or pub car park. It wouldn't even enter my head in a MSA or fuel forecourt. Madness.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It wouldn't even enter my head in a MSA or fuel forecourt. Madness.
You may want to reconsider that in future. It's quite standard at petrol station forecourts to have time limits. I think my local one allows 15 or 20 minutes before a fine. Thankfully the charger has a big sticker on reminding people to go inside and write their licence plate in the book to avoid an overstay penalty.

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
During a charge at one of their sites I was issued a parking ticket.

• No indication on the parking site
  • parking was at a shell service station
  • charger was operational and billed me for a successful charge

Apparently the parking where it was located "closed after 8pm" though it was on a motorway, at a filling station with shell pumps
I contacted them to rectify the mistake from the PCN issuer since I was clearly on the charging station bay charging my van.

Geniepoint strung me along making me lose time saying they will sort it only to tell me that it is not possible and to pay the fine.
Honestly, things like this make me stop recommending EV's. The charging network needs to be much more robust than this...
If I had a fossil car I would have happily filled up at the gas station 10 meters away, this discrimination on EV's is !%!"£ bs.

/rant
How long was your van there for?

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
4,975 Posts
You may want to reconsider that in future
Yes, my daughter got a fine overstaying at Shifnal on the M54. She wasn't charging, but looking for somewhere peaceful to work on her Masters. She could have been charging as there are 2 EcoT and a bank of Tesla chargers there.

I think the limit is 3 hours. You might say that's plenty, but I did see a Zoe charging on a EcoT type 2 last time I was there.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,333 Posts
I think you'll be successful if you appeal - if there is no sign to tell you you can't park there after 8, and you have the receipt to prove you were charging, I don't really see how they can enforce it. I also don't think it is GeniePoint's fault, as they aren't responsible for general parking restrictions!
That's not the whole problem though. EV charging cannot be based on pot luck and, as the OP says he could stop recommending EVs on this basis. This, and all the other issues with charging, is why I still have an ICE vehicle.
Yes, refuse to pay in a letter copied to Geniepoint and any other parties involved and state in that letter that any further letters of demand may be treated as harrasment and that you may seek legal redress.
My children, who know about these things, would recommend using Twitter aimed at Geniepoint. I am told that companies are usually very responsive to this.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think the limit is 3 hours. You might say that's plenty, but I did see a Zoe charging on a EcoT type 2 last time I was there.
I believe it's usually (extortionate) charges apply after 3 hours, and you need to pay inside before you leave (maybe before you overstay?), otherwise they fine you even more.

And a Zoe will be done before the 3 hours are up, as it'll be charging at 22kW+.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I do think the charger operators have a responsibility here. Both to work with the car park operator/ enforcement and to inform the customer clearly what parking restrictions, if any, apply when charging.

"Charges may apply - check signage" is't a very helpful disclaimer when I'm sat at my laptop, trying to plan a journey!
Agreed that the charge point operators should be told of the local restrictions and have them in their app/website.
Zap-Map is sometimes helpful for finding these out although often you need to look through the comments.

Especially complex with pub chargers. Do I need to be a customer? Is a glass of coke OK? Do I need to go in and enter my reg number? What about when the pub's closed? Does it depend on who's on the bar? I just want to charge, and "free charging included with your subscription" is a very different offer if it relies on being a customer of wherever the charger happens to be.
I'm not a fan of using chargers at any establishment I'm not using the facilities of. It seems a bit rude, even if you are paying for the charge, and you might be blocking the charger for an actual customer.

I've read many comments on here about people being stung because they've stopped off at a Polar (Pulse) charger at a hotel not realising they needed to go inside and register their reg no.

In the future this becomes less of a problem as these sorts of sites won't be needed for en route charging unless charging whilst visiting.

I would think to check on parking in a council or pub car park. It wouldn't even enter my head in a MSA or fuel forecourt. Madness.
I wouldn't think I needed to at a fuel forecourt, if parked at a charging space and charging why should I need to?
I can't see that being popular with the masses. What's the point of having a limit anyway? Who is sticking around a fuel forecourt longer than absolutely necessary?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
759 Posts
Yes, my daughter got a fine overstaying at Shifnal on the M54. She wasn't charging, but looking for somewhere peaceful to work on her Masters.
That's a different thing though. MSAs routinely have stay limits of, say, 2 hours. Otherwise people would use them for car sharing and all sorts of things - including working on their Masters!

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you don't get any initial joy with your complaint try the parking Forums on Money Saving Expert. There are some real experts there and they give their time and assistance generously, but do read the stickies first!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yeah a motorway service station is almost always 2 hours free, then £12 for up to 24 hours of parking (or a free extension if you go inside, explain you are charging/waiting to charge and they'll usually just take care of it for you)

I was referring to your regular petrol station, away from the motorway however. They tend to have much shorter time limits to be parked on their forecourts. They, like I said give you as little as 15-20 minutes so someone plugging in to an EV Charger could easily overstay and if they don't register would be looking at a potential fine.

(Also charging a Zoe on Type 2 is 22kW and going to charge a 22 or 40kWh model right up to full within 2 hours, or a ZE50 to 80%+... More than enough to get a good distance down the road to another charger)

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,599 Posts
Last resort those type of sites, poor location and draconian parking system absolutely disappointed for you. Can only hope for new EV hubs to eliminate them

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
4,975 Posts
And a Zoe will be done before the 3 hours are up, as it'll be charging at 22kW+.
It was a ZE50. I was surprised that it wasn't plugged into the CCS, but then I thought, ah yes it's an EcoT DBT. Nuff said.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make a comment in Zap-Map, people will then go elsewhere, make sure to send GeniePoint a copy & an invoice if you do end up paying the fine.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It was a ZE50
CCS is optional on the ZE50. But if its equipped, and I have a battery that's both warm enough and has low enough SOC to charge rapidly, I will regularly plug in to CCS on DBT chargers and have never yet had a fail with this model.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts