Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else take the internet option on their UK i3?

I gave it a go for the first time yesterday but disappointingly the car seems to have a German IP address. This is a pain as I'm geo blocked from all the UK TV web sites. My default Google search results are based on Google.de

I might contact BMW and ask them if this is a mistake?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not that I can see, though to be fair I didn't spend a great deal of time looking. I will mention it to BMW UK and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
It will most likely be a German vodafone sim - you should be able to set your country preference manually at least for google. go to google.co.uk and don't click/tap the redirect link it should remember for a period that the IP isn't german.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure I can sort the German Google its not really ideal having a German sim though as I wanted to access UK geo blocked sites. I will see what BMW say to it when its in the garage next week.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think so, surely BMW don't want to be paying a roaming fee for UK data? Lets hope they can fix it as its actually a rather good feature the big screen and touch sensitive dial on the console makes for a better than expected user experience.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Same problem different country with Telsa, the SIM is from Telefonica in Spain

I believe that a deal was struck for a SIM that would roam Europe wide and nobody really gave any consideration to geo located IP addresses blocking access to certain sites.

I understand its something that Tesla are looking into but only because enough owners shouted about it, maybe BMW owners need to start yelling louder

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@jontracey I feared this might be the case, I really hope its just an oversight and that I should have a UK SIM. If thats not the case though and I am stuck with a German IP address then the feature is useless for me. The car is booked into BMW next Friday. I will let everyone know the outcome.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Why is it useless? Did you only spec internet access for watching TV in the car..?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are obviously other issues with having a non UK IP address. For example the BBC site has banner ads all over the place as it thinks you are outside the UK. You can't access sites like the National Lottery, in fact any betting sites.

Its not a huge issue granted as I can always do most of the above via my iPhone but still thats not really the point.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
As mentioned above, Telsa have a similar issue. One difference is that the Tesla browser does not support any multimedia streaming, so no video, no soundcloud, etc. So even if the IP address was UK, it wouldn't help. The inbuilt streaming apps also suffer tho, which can be an issue (that, and limited bandwidth restricting some sites to "WiFi only").

No big deal for me: if a passenger wants to watch TV in the car, then they can use an iPad or phone and I don't risk getting points.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the BMW SIM didn't support streaming video anyway as BMW don't want to pay for the vast amount of data that this would involve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts