Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Seems like the French and Germans are heading in the right direction at least.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
102 Posts
Reactions: UniqueGeorge

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good law - but will there be any required on a certain power level? We don't want these places to just respond to the law by putting the cheapest, low power charger. Say a 7kW charger would for most people be useless at a petrol station. Put in there to meet legislation and it's little use to anyone.

Perhaps the law should specify a minimum power level. Or maybe that is already the plan?

·
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've no idea, the news article doesn't specify. I don't know how many of Germany's filling stations are franchises, and how much of the cost of installation will be borne by whom.

It strikes me that building charging infrastructure is only economically viable with government support. Are petrol stations the right place to put these, or is it better to invest in high traffic locations where people typically park for up to an hour?

·
Registered
708 Posts
The sad thing about this is they do not understand EVs and their use and think all they have to do is throw out the ICE engine and petrol pumps and job done. Thats the difference between legacy thinking and Tesla new kid on the block.

I cant think of a more boring and inappropiate place to fit a charging point. Since getting a EV i have never had the urge to park up in a petrol station for 30mins to smell the fumes and admire the achictectural merits of the place.

I keep saying it but i do not believe there is a business model for stand alone on route charging but Ecotricity on motorways and others very close could get the nearest to it because people will be stopping there for all manor of other reasons and creating a income stream in other areas. In other way its a loss leader just like parking and toilets (incl dogs).

Now if they said all businesses have to provide charging for emplyees

·
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If we want to wean ourselves off fossil fuels, it'll take a combination of reduced driving/car ownership, appropriate incentives, cost parity, and charging solutions that work for different usage patterns. Not everyone has access to off-street parking, and some people genuinely need to regularly travel long distances where public transport can't take them.

I'm not convinced petrol stations are the right place. Motorway services make sense. Supermarkets, gyms, cafes, and other facilities where people can leave their car and do other stuff whilst charging, too.

Petrol stations work because people drive in, pump fuel, buy a snack in the shop, and then drive off in the space of five minutes or so. The patterns don't seem to match.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think this is a good thing, but I can see the business model is difficult. Together with easy availability of charging, we need a change in mindset away from filling the tank, to just taking enough to provide a prudent buffer to ensure the destination is reached, together with destination and home charging, this can make most stops not much longer than a per and a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
We need it all in reality. And I am sure it will come. At the moment we have small batteries, slow charging and a nascent charging infrastructure. Currently the majority of chargers are 43/50 kW and batteries mainly below 50 kWh.

Soon the Batteries will be 100 kWh and the chargers 350 kWh. That will change the game for everyone including people with no home charging. Most will manage with a 5 minute charge every week. Tesla is nearly there.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm not convinced petrol stations are the right place. Motorway services make sense. Supermarkets, gyms, cafes, and other facilities where people can leave their car and do other stuff whilst charging, too.
I've seen 3 chargers locally where the premises are now closed and the gates locked, so I'm not sure. Public car parks seems a good one but supermarkets seem to have no enforcement.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,913 Posts
Petrol stations are a good place as folk with ICE cars already know where they are and already visit them so there is the advantage of familiarity. Supermarkets are the same.

When out and about in a strange area it's also easier to find a fuel station as they're usually right on main roads so there is a good chance you can find one without much effort.

I can't say some of the hotel car parks are nice places to stop either. At least a petrol station is usually well lit and they should start putting chargers under cover rather than leaving EV owners to get a soaking.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
At least a petrol station is usually well lit and they should start putting chargers under cover rather than leaving EV owners to get a soaking.
I'd prefer to charge under cover too but to be fair you don't need to spend quite so long in the rain as a poor ICE driver does.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If it's a fast charger at a petrol station (50W-100W) then I think it fits the business model quite well. You have got just enough time to check the tyre air pressure (do it at the petrol station always and never at home as your routine) and wander into the shop and buy something. Since you still have about 5-10 minutes of dead time, that might work out OK for the shop since you're more likely to buy overpriced £1 chocolate bars to appease the kids or buy a magazine or something. The newspapers are right there, if you are going for a full charge you can make that your newspaper reading time for the day.

The other thing I like about the petrol station model is that it puts the electric car model into the mind of drivers of conventional vehicles. It is advertising for EVs every time an EV pulls into a petrol station and starts charging while the ICE drivers look on and start to wonder when they will get one. There are still a lot of people in England who actually think there are hardly any charging points in the country and use that as an argument not to buy an EV.

Short term I think petrol stations have a role to play. Very long term not so much. Very long term some of the petrol stations won't even be there any more at least not in their current form.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I suppose the petrol stations at supermarkets are different. Some of them are at the opposite end of the car park to the supermarket, perhaps 2-3 minutes walk away from the main building of the supermarket. Here it probably doesn't make sense to require the petrol station to have a charging point in that petrol station since you are forced to waste time and incur risk walking through the entire car park to the supermarket (potentially with older relatives or children in tow).

It makes more sense to require them to have a charging point on the premises somewhere. However, it would still be nice to require them to have a big sign in the petrol station that advises where the EV charging points are.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
However, it would still be nice to require them to have a big sign in the petrol station that advises where the EV charging points are.
And the cost. I look forward to the day when you know what each charging option will cost you, before you get to it, with clear signs same as petrol prices.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Perhaps UK petrol stations will morph into something already at French, and others, motorway service stations through Europe. That is a larger shop stocking snack food and groceries, books and magazines and maps, local artisan products, restaurant, toilets and showers, and vending machines for coffee and hot soup. Lots of things to do during your 45 minute top up.

The service station may become a mini shopping centre for those on the move! An EV driver is a captive market then.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Lots of things to do during your 45 minute top up.
Which will be 5 minutes very soon. We have a short term hiccup at the moment in the development of electric cars.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good point! I know there are some large motorway service stations with the facilities I mentioned already. I meant to say that local petrol stations at the moment should be looking at moving towards such a mini-shopping/eating/resting model in the interim to maintain business as diesel/petrol sales income reduces.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
About time that we followed this. I also believe that destination charging should be required based on a percentage of parking spaces.
Many councils already stipulate destination charging on new planning applications. That is why there are so many in the new Westgate shopping centre in Oxford. Be difficult to do retrospectively but perhaps a rates levy "if less than x% charging spaces" might be viable.

Personally I think charging in a petrol station sucks. They usually have poor facilities, smell of diesel and have limited parking so risk of ICEing. They are adding two rapids to the BP near me and being a M&S convenience store I can imagine them being blocked by shoppers - but I guess people won't have to wait long. I might use a petrol station for a 10 min topup, but not somewhere I would want to wait 40 mins getting a proper charge.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I meant to say that local petrol stations at the moment should be looking at moving towards such a mini-shopping/eating/resting model
Haven't most of them done that anyway? They just need to adapt it a bit for longer customer dwell times in the shop. (Yeah, they may need a bigger shop :) )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts