Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

My MY12 Electron has been almost faultless in the five years I've had it.

Recently I've noticed the braking feeling at bit strange and it doesn't sound mechanical (in a grating pad way!). It's been more than three years since it had any kind of service so I'm thinking I need to do this asap. I used to use Skurreys in Swindon but they've changed hands. My last experience wasn't great, like they were losing their Ampera expertise.

I hear that "Bellingers in Wantage" are good?

I'm happy from drive from Cheltenham if they are recommended.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Try a free vehicle health check at Halfords first. Confirmed what Arnold Clarke have been telling me for last 5 MoTs and quoted to replace rear discs and brake pads. Not an EV issue.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yep, had my rear brakes done by a cheaper all-purpose local garage earlier this year, about £190 I think (but I didn't specify any particular brand of parts).

Having said that I drive from Wokingham to Wantage to experience the Bellinger service and they have been pretty faultless so far for me, and very knowledgeable and helpful. Booked in for later this month for my 5 year, with courtesy car as they currently won't let you sit and wait and I'm thinking the coffee shops in Wantage may still be closed. Bellingers own coffee machine does pretty good stuff though!!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Almost certainly badly rusted rear disks. Mine looked OK on the outside but there was just rust across the whole face on the inside and the pads were worn away. Replacement quality disks/pads will cost around £100 max. Just an hour or so to change.

Reactions: Russ Freeman

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try a free vehicle health check at Halfords first. Confirmed what Arnold Clarke have been telling me for last 5 MoTs and quoted to replace rear discs and brake pads. Not an EV issue.
Do you mean, they don't need changing? Confused 🥴

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost certainly badly rusted rear disks. Mine looked OK on the outside but there was just rust across the whole face on the inside and the pads were worn away. Replacement quality disks/pads will cost around £100 max. Just an hour or so to change.
Thanks, I hope this is the case. I'll take the wheels off this weekend and have a good look.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep, had my rear brakes done by a cheaper all-purpose local garage earlier this year, about £190 I think (but I didn't specify any particular brand of parts).

Having said that I drive from Wokingham to Wantage to experience the Bellinger service and they have been pretty faultless so far for me, and very knowledgeable and helpful. Booked in for later this month for my 5 year, with courtesy car as they currently won't let you sit and wait and I'm thinking the coffee shops in Wantage may still be closed. Bellingers own coffee machine does pretty good stuff though!!
I might see you there again then! I'm going on Mon 22nd. When I called on Fri, the chap said I was the 3rd Ampera service he'd booked that morning.

·
Registered
431 Posts
24th for me I'm afraid.

I'm not surprised about the number of Amps they see. Must have half of southern England :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Do you mean, they don't need changing? Confused 🥴
Every MoT as far back as I can remember has included an advisory- Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened. Convinced myself they will fail me this time so beating them to it and paying less than they will ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been having trouble with a nearside sticking parking brake so have had everything apart recently. The rear discs were rusty on the inside but it's relatively easy to remove with a file (takes time). Then, as the pads will be worn a little where the rust was, file the pads smooth (wear a mask) then refit everything. Then, when you are safely travelling downhill, put the car in neutral and use the brakes to slow you down. This (I'm told) prevents the car from using regenerative braking and uses the brakes instead. This in turn helps to clean the disks back to what they should be. My disks have plenty of life in them as do the pads.

Good luck.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ta. The other trick I've read here is to always put on the parking brake and let it get taken off automatically when you pull away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
...you can also 'drive' with the parking brake on - as long as it's below five miles per hour ...above five and it 'slams' the rear brakes on.

I'd clean them (discs and pads) as much as you can, then use these various techniques to keep the discs in good order...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took off the wheels and checked the pads - they are all fine. However, I've since realised that the issue is there when not moving! If I sit in the car and slightly press the brake, you can feel something grating or a cog not meshing?? If you fully depress the pedal it goes away. I then put a weight on the pedal so I could then go and listen under the car - the noise seems to come from inside the engine compartment behind the engine. I can only assume it is a cable-related thing or worse....

I think I'll have to get Bellingers to take a look at it after all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Russ - it's maybe the braking system charging the anti-lock braking system. Mine makes a noise when you press the brake pedal whilst stationary (at start-up). Always has done ...I've always assumed it's ABS.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Russ - it's maybe the braking system charging the anti-lock braking system. Mine makes a noise when you press the brake pedal whilst stationary (at start-up). Always has done ...I've always assumed it's ABS.
You are on to something here - it's definitely that ABS feel when it kicks in. So it's like I'm getting a bit of that every time I apply the brakes, moving or stationary. I'm ringing Bellingers today.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I noticed a slight mechanical 'thunk' in the pedal over a year ago. I worried about it then, but it's been doing the same thing ever since and still stops perfectly. I seem to recall the car has some sort of hydraulic brake pedal simulator (which is designed to give 'real' progressive brake pedal feel when in fact it's mostly electronic) and I figured the unit which does this, has developed a 'thunk'. It doesn't seem to affect performance and it hasn't got any worse in the last year so I hadn't given it any thought until I read your post.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Back on thread.... Recently had my Bellingers visit for a 5th year service and MOT for £217, which included the Vauxhall discount. Nothing needed doing. Some of you might also remember I enquired on this forum about my door check strap being damaged. They quoted me £48 all in to source & fit a new one. Think I'll just put up with the creak noise for now, but I thought that wasn't extortionate at all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Did you get the coolant change in that price? I was there on Wed for 5th year and coolant but I pay on a service plan (though the coolant was extra).

Amy gave me a quote for the next 3 years service plan and it's almost 30% up on what it has been!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts