Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used Bellinger's having driven down from Barnsley, South Yorkshire! Over £200 cheaper for a full service compared to my local dealer in Sheffield. Made a short break of it, with a cheap hotel stay.
Excellent service, and they cleaned it too! Well definitely be using them again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Back on thread.... Recently had my Bellingers visit for a 5th year service and MOT for £217, which included the Vauxhall discount. Nothing needed doing. Some of you might also remember I enquired on this forum about my door check strap being damaged. They quoted me £48 all in to source & fit a new one. Think I'll just put up with the creak noise for now, but I thought that wasn't extortionate at all.
Picked up my Ampera from Bellinger's yesterday - excellent service, five year coolant change and MOT for a little over £200. Two more Amps in the car park and I was told that they had four in for service that day and four more booked in on Monday. Surely a recommendation! I was pleased that I managed the 40+ miles from Cropredy all on battery power and when I collected it the next day, they had fully charged the car (and given it a good clean!), so I could drive all the way back without using the ICE - given that this was my first drive in months, I really enjoyed the experience.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Back on thread.... Recently had my Bellingers visit for a 5th year service and MOT for £217, which included the Vauxhall discount. Nothing needed doing. Some of you might also remember I enquired on this forum about my door check strap being damaged. They quoted me £48 all in to source & fit a new one. Think I'll just put up with the creak noise for now, but I thought that wasn't extortionate at all.
My 6th year service with Bellingers (first service since i've owned the car) is quoted at £363 plus £80-something for a new timing belt and alternator, which is recommended at this stage for my Volt, and which sounds reasonable tbf. service cost was a shock though - is this an unforseen added expense of choosing Volt over Ampera? Am guessing all the reasonable-sounding service bills i've seen quoted on here down the years take into account the Vauxhall Service Club discount, which Volts obviously won't qualify for. As an aside, and perhaps this deserves a separate thread, has anybody who has been for a service recently been told about a cell-balancing recall? The US Volt sites are full of chatter about this - there seem to be a lot of section 3 battery pack failures, which this recall addresses, at the cost of about 10% of range.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, I took my poorly Ampera to Bellingers this morning but I almost didn't make it. As I left Cheltenham, I had to stop at some traffic lights and when I put my foot down this time the brakes totally locked up and "service brake assist" came up on the screen. My first reaction was to get towed to Bellingers. However, I managed to drive there without stopping 😲. The brakes were working but they were as bad as my old BMW 252d. I hate to think what it will cost but at least it's easy to reproduce!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I drive from Cheltenham to Wantage. In the past I have done this on a Saturday and gone for a coffee in Wantage while the work is done. I think you will get lots of recommendations to use Bellingers they are one of the best.
Hey Will

It turns out I need a new Modulator and potentially an ECU as well (£2500 and £1100 respectively). Were you able to get it done under warranty in the end?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just had a long conversation about the car. Sounds like I have zero chance of getting anything done on warranty. The NetworkQ exclusion warranty text was discounted as incorrect and I have got dealer service since late 2017 (my fault). My daughter starts driving lessons next week and I'd rather spend ~£3500 on a car for her.

So, does anyone want to buy my otherwise spotless Lithium White Ampera as-is for £4K ??!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not a good time to sell - your best bet may be to ask the dealer if they would buy it?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,688 Posts
My 6th year service with Bellingers (first service since i've owned the car) is quoted at £363 plus £80-something for a new timing belt and alternator, which is recommended at this stage for my Volt,
Eh?

A what and a what?

I thought Bellingers was on top of the game on this?

Can you put a copy of that quote up?

Are you sure you don't mean water pump and water pump belt?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So, does anyone want to buy my otherwise spotless Lithium White Ampera as-is for £4K ??!!
I'm now wondering whether it would be better to fix the car and then maybe sell it. Any advice from the experts here?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'm confused why the car needs a brake modulator and Ecu. One or the other surely.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm confused why the car needs a brake modulator and Ecu. One or the other surely.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Their words were pretty much "we tried to run a diagnostic check that didn't complete but the codes showing said it needed at least a Modulator and then if the ECU light was still on, it would need the ECU replaced as well (but can't confirm upfront if it needs just the modulator or both)"

It wasn't really what I was expecting in terms of an expert diagnosis.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Eh?

A what and a what?

I thought Bellingers was on top of the game on this?

Can you put a copy of that quote up?

Are you sure you don't mean water pump and water pump belt?
This was all done om the phone so i h a ve nonwritten quote - but tomorrow (Friday) is service day so i'll check with the, and update in the morning

·
27,688 Posts
I'm now wondering whether it would be better to fix the car and then maybe sell it. Any advice from the experts here?
So, what's wrong exactly, what is its age and how many miles?

I believe, as you have said it, it is covered under Voltec warranty. These people are idiots and just don't know. I can send you chapter and verse from VX.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a quote for a 3 year service plan starting at year 6 (next year) It says

Service 6 - brake fluid, labour, oil, screen wash
Service 7 - labour, screen wash
Service 8 - brake fluid, labour, oil, screen wash

At £783 with 10% Vx discount it looks and feels kinda pricey - years 3, 4 and 5 were about 75% of that cost (plus of course the coolant change - why don't they include that in the service plan I wonder?)

Anyway mine doesn't say includes timing chains or alternators but ISTR they mentioned there was an "extra" on Year 6. Seems to be the basic service cost.

·
27,688 Posts
The water pump belt is listed for a swap at 6 years, but I have said before that if it was my car I would ignore it until it breaks. Then it's easier to get off because it is already off!! ;)

The heater circuit already has an electric motor to drive coolant around the engine, so in the extremely unlikely scenario that your battery is completely flat but you need to drive miles to get anywhere, then I would cautiously suggest you run the heater on max and get yourself to a convenient repair location at a genteel pace.

The belt is not tensioned on or anything, to get it off they just cut it off, and to put it back it has to be positioned along with a new (removed) water pump.

Just take a look at the belt. If it is worn perished and or cracked then sure, you're dumb not to get it done. If not ... pfffttt ... water pump .... who needs one when you have two, right?

If it was my design there would not have been a water pump at all, but I guess the Family 0 engine out of the GM parts bin came with these holes for water pump drive shaft, so they had to put something into that, and why not a "water pump drive shaft" if they have those out of a parts bin too?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have a quote for a 3 year service plan starting at year 6 (next year) It says...
I had a 3 year service plan with Skurrys from 14-17. I think it was about £650 so I guess that quote isn't far off given inflation etc.

I'm in two minds about service plans given the typical quality of service at many dealers. It seems to me you can't win; when my plan was running I felt shielded from big bills but I was very skeptical if the work was actually being done (because the price from pre-agreed). Skurrys used to email you a video of your car in the workshop being worked on. I kid you not, it was just a video of the front of your car with the legs of the mechanic standing in front of it! Totally useless.

I treat service plans as a form of "protection money" ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So, what's wrong exactly, what is its age and how many miles?

I believe, as you have said it, it is covered under Voltec warranty. These people are idiots and just don't know. I can send you chapter and verse from VX.
Thanks for the reply Donald. The car is 2012, with about 84K on the clock. The brake assist is not working. You can only stop the car by pushing your foot extremely hard on the brake.

From the codes, they are saying Modulator and maybe ECU but they will only know if the ECU needs replacement once replacing the Modulator.

If you could send me the VX stuff that would be great. I googled around but could only find the exclusion clause in the NetworkQ warranty. I haven't found the actual Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The man i dealt with on phone wasn't there when i dropped the car off, but i was told there was only one 'extra' on their notes - the timing belt. The service assistant said this was known by a variety of other names too, including fan belt. She said they'd only swap the alternator if it was broken. Also paid an extra £24 for an engine/pipes flush. @donald, as you might now have gathered, i wouldn't know where the belt was, let alone be able to derermine it's suitability for replacement. I'm totally in the garage's hands with this stuff. For the same reason, i didn't dare try to dismantle the wing mirror to getatthe corroded pivots which you advised me on previously, so i've asked them to have a look at that too.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I agree with @donald as the belt will have done very little work.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts