Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I regrettably had the ICE fire up because I'd run out of battery. I'd gone to the gym so thought about asking them to install chargers; there's already an i3 and Leaf owner as members and probably others as I tend to go to the gym at night so don't see the car park in the day.

I tweeted to David Lloyd AND spoke to the Ops Manager - which was followed up by an email. I referred them to ZCW. @Kevin Sharpe would they qualify? I'll post the letter below.

HO tweeted back that the Property Team are looking at it for the future. That smacks of a fob off. If I see the other EV drivers I will ask them to speak to the Ops Mgr too.

Has anybody else got any tips for applying pressure and any success stories?

My email:

Hi Andy

Good to talk to you earlier.

As I said, I would be grateful if you could consider installing an EV charging post (or two) at the club. There are at least 3 members who would benefit from this and the number is only going to increase as sales of EV cars are increasing with more and more manufacturers bringing out models.

The growing EV community is very good at promoting businesses that offer charging facilities and will choose one supermarket (for example) over another for that reason. Many ev drivers post pictures on Twitter and other social media platforms thanking venues.

The good news is that you can get the charging units free from a charity called Zero Carbon World as their aim is to reduce the amount of miles driven in polluting internal combustion engine vehicles. Their website is http://zerocarbonworld.org/. I believe the only cost is for installation.

Apart from doing your bit for the environment, DL will benefit in a number of ways:

PR/CSR
Marketing
Awareness via such maps as https://www.zap-map.com/ and http://openchargemap.org/

It would certainly outweigh the cost of the electricity used. Indeed you are free to charge but very few businesses looking to increase traffic do so.

If there's anything I can do to help, then please let me know.

Reactions: Thomas_Newby

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Funny you say that @Qdos - in my reply tweet I used the words 'Chicken & egg' but then deleted it as I'm sure they largely don't give a stuff about that.

I'd only be suggesting type 2 chargers because the costs will be much lower (not just because I can't use it atm ;)). The Leaf and i3 can still use them can't they?

The Ops Manager was aware of the chargers at Asda. DL does have a more affluent customer profile so are more likely to attract EV drivers than, say, the council gym. The issue with a lot of Nottingham gyms is that they are in the City Centre so don't have parking anyway. Unfortunately DL don't have a direct competitor within a 3 mile radius :(

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, it's a classic chicken and egg scenario...
I'm optimistic that the chicken egg cycle will be broken, slowly but surely. It'll start in the most competitive markets, not necessarily gyms, probably supermarkets and shopping malls/retail parks. Here they already have competitors, and they'll spend lots in advertising to get 2% of their rivals business.

We're already seeing this. Supermarkets like asda and shopping malls like Meadowhall were eager to get their charge points installed so as not to miss out. Now other shopping places I speak to all have plans to put them in, playing catch up because they know they're losing business.

Its the marketing departments we need to speak to at these places. These are the ones who spend the £k's to get the 2% of the competitors customers. These are the ones with the budgets, and the ones the directors listen to. If you convince marketing that it's a cheap way to increase sales then you can get they'll put the chargers in. It's measurable as well because they can count the charges, and apply the average spend per charge, to put a figure to how sales increased.

People doing their shopping will get fed up of filling up at the supermarket petrol station, while at the same time seeing many electric cars in the car park getting charged for free, and after a few years we'll see adoption rise. Then the other less competitive markets will start to pay attention. Gyms, furniture shops, workplaces don't have the massive marketing budgets to dip into, but they'll all bite once adoption's high enough.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
A lot of marketing is guesswork - there is rarely a perfect way to measure the effect of a "campaign". So convincing a marketer to fit the points often doesn't need any follow up or benefit measurement afterwards, anything that can be measured and put in a Powerpoint slide is a big bonus compared with: "We spent £10000 on this print campaign, sales are flat but for all we know we staved off a decline"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts