Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Can the Leaf be a weekend family fun warrior?

• Not really, more limited to urbanites

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Of course, load it up, take your time and chill dude

Votes: 8 72.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
So.....I have gone EV research mad!
Looking at buying a used Leaf 30kwh as our family of 4 car. Challenge is, will it fit with our lifestyle? Outside of the boring day to day runs, has anyone any experience of running to the coast at the weekend with bikes and gear??
Will I be on constant charge watch carrying a load on the 120 mile round trip?
Alternatives are going for a Mitsy Phev.....but what's the point in that when you can go for a light petrol estate right.
Any notes of experience are most welcome to help us with our consideration.
M

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Not sure about bikes but sure a good bike rack would do the job depending on age of the kids or back and roof rack. Maybe charge on the way there so when all done just head back without worry.
If staying overnight just granny charge it and job done but I regularly now do 440+ miles in two days without issues and just take my time.

·
That money was just resting in my account!
141 Posts
A bike rack will reduce your range. You will have to drive super carefully to make it there and back. The drive will not be fun.

I wouldn't do it in a 30 kWh leaf, but then I like to drive at the speed limit, overtake, etc.

·
Registered
567 Posts
To me the answer is, if YOU are prepared to make it work then it will work. Are you prepared to plan a route with plenty of plan A+B stops for a charge? Are you prepared to wait 30 mins for a charge? Are you prepared to drive slower to maximise range?
EV driving isn't handed to us on a plate, unfortunately.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,387 Posts
For 120 miles in the Leaf 30kWh, it's fine, a quick pit stop midway and use slow destination charging.

But having said that, my family do have 2 cars, EV for daily use, the dirty diesel for regular 150 miles to my parents and other stuff that is more than 30 miles away (24kWh has dependable range of 60 miles). If my parents live only 80 miles away, I would most probably have gotten rid of the diesel.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My other half and I went to Exmouth last weekend, 125 miles each way, 75% motorway. Had no issues really; I already knew charging at destination was very limited. Planned a route to rapid charge twice on the way down so i had plenty of range for tootling around Saturday afternoon/evening/Sunday am. Then one rapid charge on the way home.

When we, including 17yr old son and dog, visit family we rapid charge once, overnight on granny cable and rapid once on the return - thats 125 miles to one set of parents, 25 miles to the next and 145 return. We've managed the car fully loaded with cases and Xmas presents.

So if you are prepared to stop for 25 minutes for a look break at some point on your trek, or destination charge then 120 mile round trip is easy (subject to Instavolt / Shell / BP / Ecotricity rapd on route of course !!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me the answer is, if YOU are prepared to make it work then it will work. Are you prepared to plan a route with plenty of plan A+B stops for a charge? Are you prepared to wait 30 mins for a charge? Are you prepared to drive slower to maximise range?
EV driving isn't handed to us on a plate, unfortunately.
Thank you for your responses and true it is up to us and what alterations we are prepared to do to accommodate an EV, which I believe we are but to what extent is the question once you are loaded with bikes etc. Happy to break the route though.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Personally speaking, when I'm asked about EVs by friends/family, I tend to tell them to only consider one if they can make it where they need to go and home on the same charge.
There's just too much doubt about the charging network.
I know I'd only have to face an ICE'd or broken charger when I really needed it once to become very frustrated, perhaps to the point I'd be a doing a Basil Fawlty on the car....
So it's not a situation I ever put myself in, or would put friends/family in.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I can't see an Amp working with 4 up, plus bikes (will need a roof-rack - non-trivial to get & fit I believe), and by then you won't have much space in the boot (300L, think old Fabia/Polo-ish) fro all the picnics, kit etc. Would be a very tight squeeze!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Hello there,
So.....I have gone EV research mad!
Looking at buying a used Leaf 30kwh as our family of 4 car. Challenge is, will it fit with our lifestyle? Outside of the boring day to day runs, has anyone any experience of running to the coast at the weekend with bikes and gear??
Will I be on constant charge watch carrying a load on the 120 mile round trip?
Alternatives are going for a Mitsy Phev.....but what's the point in that when you can go for a light petrol estate right.
Any notes of experience are most welcome to help us with our consideration.
M

Not exactly, you'll be on a charger rather than wondering if you need one if you've got a load of bikes on the roof.OR driving at 50mph.
The point of the Mitsi is you may be able to do all or the vast majority of your daily runs on electric and the odd long run, you dont care.
Depends what sort of local mileage you do of course.
Or, wait a year and then buy a Leaf40 s/h.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts