Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what the kwh / mile typical value is for someone doing 60 mph in a leaf for long period of time (say going up and down the M1).

This is without sticking up behind a lorry / doing anything particually special.

How far do you thing someone could go on an 80% charge?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I'd be interested in this, as while I've done a few motorway miles in the LEAF now I haven't regularly used them since we bought the car.

When we did go on the motorway we felt SUPER slow if we dropped to 60mph, it's weird, even 70 is lagging behind most, but 60 and you feel a bit of a freak!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This Saturday I took a nissan leaf up the motorway for a test drive, and I had a 80 miles trip. First I tried the short way,from milton Keynes to Oxford then on to yateley heading to fleet services for charge. It did not go well for me as when I got to Oxford the 2 rapid charges were out of order so I had to charge for 2 hours on a 22kw charge point but the leaf will only take 7kw, but I made it after 5 hours. I know that sounds bad and it was. But on the way back I had 100% charge and I went straight down the motorway all the way home at 55/60mph and even 70mph when going down hill, but I made it home with 13 miles left in the car. I have a Renault zoe and at the 22kw charge Point I would have been charged in about a hour but I can do over 100miles in zoe just fine. the leaf is a real lovely car and better in lots of ways as Renaults customer services is awful and iv had lot of R-link problems. Doing that test drive gave me a lot of respect for the nissan leaf

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't know at a steady speed but I allow for about 0.3kwh/mile on my trips. That is not from the car readout. It is just my feeling given how much I carge and how far I can drive between charges.

How far you can go on 80% depends on a lot of things so I can only say what I get. I have a mk1 Leaf and it is 2.5 years old with 22k miles so my range is probably a little down (not that I notice!) but I reckon in summer at 60mph on a safe range of about 65 miles from 100% and 50 miles from 80%... a little more if very careful or slower than 60mph or a little less if hilly or faster than 60mph. Also, if you have a Mk2 (new) Leaf then it might be a bit more than that particularly if you have the heatpump.

The most I have ever got was about 80 miles from 100% and about 60 miles from 80% but I ought to point out that I always aim to have more than 5 miles estimated at my destination which in reality probably means about 10+ miles to being completely flat. I have heard of people getting much more than me by regularly running very close to completely flat which for me is too much of a risk... I never want to end up running out!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This was Monday afternoon / evening, along the M4 between junctions 46 and 29, at a constant 60mph (indicated).

Limited drafting, climate at 20c for most of the way (yes, I feel the cold!):

This morning I overslept slightly so cruised at 70ish to make up a little bit of time, 39 miles on arrival having used 53% of the capacity. I couldn't work out how I'd managed this as my route to work normally uses up about 8% more energy due to the terrain profile - it's mostly uphill. Then after I got out of the car, I could feel the strong warm (!) easterly wind that was helpfully reducing my airspeed.

60mph has to the the sweet spot for progress v. consumption on the leaf.

Throttle feathering is also extremely important :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
A return trip for me yesterday of around 20 miles each way on the M1. one way sticking at around 60-65 and I lost around 25% of SOC coming back as we were 100% charged and need to get back went a little faster, keeping up with the majority of the traffic, shall we say. lost 40 miles of range for saeme distance. I gained 10 miles once off the motorway though and it cost me 35% of charge to do 20 miles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As an aside we were four up. Also when doing the sums travelling at the faster speed only saved about 3 mins travelling time!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
As an aside we were four up. Also when doing the sums travelling at the faster speed only saved about 3 mins travelling time!
The ICE cars we've previously owned have given us a sense of entitlement when it comes to range and cruising speed.

As you and Paul have pointed out, ultimately a 10mph reduction in the cruise will generally 'cost' < 10 mins, all told.

And it's a hell of a lot less stressful. Don't get me wrong, I love speed - but at the age of 36, with plenty of motorcycle track days under my belt, I've learned that there's a time and a place for gunning it.

I'd much rather 'smug' along & let the others get there before me :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
... a 10mph reduction in the cruise will generally 'cost' < 10 mins, all told.
And it's a hell of a lot less stressful.
I'd much rather 'smug' along & let the others get there before me :)
I do so agree with you. I have done a few round trips from Surrey to Camarthen (daughter at Uni there) in a day 400miles + and not felt over-tired despite being in my sixties, in my Ampera with cruise control, going 55-65, whereas last time in my old Audi Coupe Quattro at 75 - 85 mph, I was knackered by the end, and used more than twice as much fuel. Journey time each way about 20-30 mins extra - no biggie.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I seem to drive at a variety of different speeds, but for regular long journeys I'm ok with 60-65 (depends on traffic). keeping a steady speed with the other vehicles in nearside lane such as lorries on cruise control works pretty well and is relaxing. Drop the speed too much and it gets more stressful and disruptive (but is sometimes required if on emergency more..)

for shorter journeys especially on clear roads I may do 70 but you do notice the increased power usage. Higher than this sometimes if conditions and power allows but that's similar to jettising half the battery pack.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have sent wife to Worcester with 60mph as her goal. That should see her make the required (see also 'working') chargers en route. 70mph and it's flat bed

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
For the last few years even in ICE cars I've driven at 60-65mph. I just don't see the point of smashing it down the M ways when more often than not your hit with a traffic jam every 20-30 miles.

Slower than 60mph is getting on dangerous though, especially when articulates have to over take you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
None seem limited to 56mph anymore unless my 60mph cruise is 10mph out?

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
None seem limited to 56mph anymore unless my 60mph cruise is 10mph out?
60mph indicated in the Leaf is about 54mph true speed. 62 indicated will keep you at the same speed as lorries and 65 indicated you will slowly catch them and then pass them, and doesn't feel too bad for longer journeys.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
60mph indicated in the Leaf is about 54mph true speed. 62 indicated will keep you at the same speed as lorries and 65 indicated you will slowly catch them and then pass them, and doesn't feel too bad for longer journeys.
I'm with you Edd, unless the Mway is empty I tend to stick to 65mpg indicated

·
Hat & car lover.
35 Posts
Am doing a motorway test, I know, there's better things to do on a Sunday!
Driven from Bedford to Moto services Grantham, 69 miles, used 85% battery with 15 miles range left. Used eco mode and B. Had car set to 65mph on speed limiter. Used an app on android called 'Ulysses speedometer' to set real speed at 61 mph.

Has been pretty effortless. Took 1hr 10mins. Light traffic. Okay temp etc.

I'll need to top up at Peterborough services to get home tho!

Am going to set speed at a real speed of 65mph for journey home. See what difference it makes.

Will add to this when I get home.

Gave up going 65mph, traffic bad and dinner is calling!

At least I know we can get to Grantham as a 1st stop on way to Cumbria in June.

Reactions: Paul

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I've been tempted to head north on the MK from Milton Keynes and see how far you can get, seems to be several options towards the edge of my expected range to prevent flat-bedding... but never quite found the urge overwhelming!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts