Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we don't have an electric car yet, but are looking to get one in the next year or so

We are however about to have a new SWA power cable run from house to garage (it's about 40m cable run in total), and was wondering if we should have 6mm SWA.Data cable laid at same time for future installation of a charging point.

The cable will be buried in trunking, so would make sense to install at same time even though not connected at either end at present - will leave that to whoever installs the charge point,.

My concern is the length of the run, as most EV installs seem to be "up to 10m".

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,001 Posts
Hi, we don't have an electric car yet, but are looking to get one in the next year or so

We are however about to have a new SWA power cable run from house to garage (it's about 40m cable run in total), and was wondering if we should have 6mm SWA.Data cable laid at same time for future installation of a charging point.

The cable will be buried in trunking, so would make sense to install at same time even though not connected at either end at present - will leave that to whoever installs the charge point,.

My concern is the length of the run, as most EV installs seem to be "up to 10m".

Thanks for any input.
I had to have almost 80m of cable laid to my garage from the meter. 30m of that is underground. At the first install, they laid 10mm SWA but the voltage drop was too high so they had to remove it all and lay 16mm SWA. Apart from the initial cost for the work, their mistake and they picked up the extra cost. (PodPoint)

I'd had the garage built a couple of years earlier but hadn't even thought about an EV at that time and it was only wired off a spur from the house and so it was an expensive error not to have had it all wired up properly in the first place. Future proof and you'll not regret it. You may need 10mm SWA for a 40m run though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Id advise running as many cat 6 as you can fit in some copex back to a patch panel or router.. ive done a lot of work with a smart home/av guy.. cat 6 is so versatile, you can use it for cameras, wap, direct link to your EVCP, media signals (sky, cable, dvd players), telephone, etc, etc... id also recommend running a blue water poly pipe (even if you dont use it for now) to the garage (you can use it for a close by tap for washing cars, sink for cleaning the dogs, etc).. with regards to cable type and CSA size, I would first consult with your local electrician. There is another recent post regarding this topic on this forum. However, its down to the guy signing the test sheets at the end of the day... itll provably be better to run one larger cable then run seperate ones, but all dependant on loads and the ease of the job!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts